General Captain Mannering

Spence_old

What was Mannering having a go at the ref at? I missed the replay due to my loud swearing and punching at everything in the room. Did he have a valid complaint with that try?

Spence_old

Iafeta has some inside knowledge with the Maloneys, can't remember what the connection is. But I'll take his word for it. Maloney seems like a top bloke, and I think he'd tell the media that to stop them making up headlines.

Iafeta_old

From his family, he is keen to be back in Sydney. My thoughts on it are if he is offered good dough he'll stick around. If he can get similar cash elsewhere he'll be off.

Even in that article you refer to he made this comment "But like I said to the club when I first come over here, it was never going to be a permanent move. When we go back is not the issue but at some stage we will always be going back."

Fazz_old

It might just be me, but the more I see of Maloney this year, the less convinced I am that we should throw the cheque book at him, he's got some horrible errors in him.

If yesterday was any indication, we should make Luck the captain. We went to absolute shit when he went off. That was pathetic.

JAH_old

would like to think that Russel Packer would get the nod for future captain was the U20s capatin and JKs captain to so knows a enough about leadership to be the man.

Iafeta_old

That was my understanding too, although I believe Packer probably captained the side in Daniel O'Regan's absence when injured in v1.0.

ToiletDuck_old

On a serious note though. The last game I went to was the Broncs vs Warriors at Suncorp last year, and Mannering went off early in the first half. So I can't comment on his actions in the in-goal post points against us. I guess like others I just really can't see who we replace him with. The Maloney suggestion seems a little like Cesc Fabregas with Arsenal - make him captain in the hope it a) speeds up his maturation process and b) keeps him at the club.

The only other option I can see is one of the forwards, and Rapira is the obvious choice if we're looking for someone young with years left at the club. Can't see see what he'll bring to the table over Mannering. Luck kinda seems like he'd be just keeping the seat warm until someone else puts their hand up.

Overall, can't see the point at this stage. If Simon needs work as a captain I'd say he can certainly work on it (remember he is not yet 25). Certainly it's a process that isn't just going to happen. I guess as a comparison, Flemo got thrown into the captaincy at much similar age with the NZ cricket team and took a few years to become the end product.

mrblonde_old

Except Barcelona don't have a yearly - or twice yearly - fapping session over Simon Mannering, warbling on about how it's his "destiny" to go there.

I'm almost hoping Fabregas does leave Arsenal, much as I think he's a great player, just to shut the gossip up...

To be fair, if Simon ever left the Warriors - who obviously were his starting club - the Warriors might be in the same position as Barfa...

ToiletDuck_old

Except Barcelona don't have a yearly - or twice yearly - fapping session over Simon Mannering, warbling on about how it's his "destiny" to go there.

I'm almost hoping Fabregas does leave Arsenal, much as I think he's a great player, just to shut the gossip up...

To be fair, if Simon ever left the Warriors - who obviously were his starting club - the Warriors might be in the same position as Barfa...

Fair enough, though I was comparing Maloney and Fabregas, not Simone.

Spence_old

On Packer though, if you want someone animated to talk it up to the boys, he'd be your best bet. Rapira is even more quiet than Mannering.

Kaiaua krusher_old

Mannering reminds me of a young Richie McCaw, deep, quite, but very professional. McCaw had difficulty stringing 2 words together but he has grown into the role. It helps when you are in charge of very good teams like the Crusaders and the AB's and are surrounded by the very best. I think Simon is growing behind the scenes much the same as Richie. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of him.

ToiletDuck_old

The only thing with McCaw is I remember him captaining NZ at age group levels...and was touted as a future AB captain very early on. So his development was very much moulded towards what he is today.

LordGnome_old

The only thing with McCaw is I remember him captaining NZ at age group levels...and was touted as a future AB captain very early on. So his development was very much moulded towards what he is today.

A complete K.Hunt?

Spence_old

You should get someone to film the birds and the bees talk you have with your kids. I'd pay to watch that.