General Captain Mannering

numbnutsnz_old

I was all fired up last night but decided to give it 24 hours to calm down and think properly before opening up the floor. Im fairly new to the forum and am not sure if this has been covered or debated on but, I have a real problem with Mannering as captain.

Dont get me wrong, hes a great player no matter where he plays on the field but his leadership is almost non existant. I have my season membership in the south stand so often keep an eye on the huddle after an opposition try. What I see in these huddles is Mannering standing on the outside of the huddle, dicking around with his socks then having a little sip of water. Its very rare that he has a word and fires up the boys and yesterday was no different.

Not only that, I want to see him come in the field and take a few hit ups when the team needs it most. Yesterday all the warriors needed was one decent set of 6 in that last 15 minutes to get the Tigers starting their set in there own 10 and it didnt happen.

I know that some captains arent big talkers and dont like to do the whole motivational speech thing, but those guys tend to lead by actions. Paul Gallen is a good example of this. Im not suggesting Mannering be stripped because there isnt really a suitable replacement, but he needs to step up and do the job. The warriors cant win a premiership with an invisible captain.

Est95_old

Fair point, I dont really think hes captain material. The only captainy thing i see him do is have a whinge at the ref. I also like the captains either being in the pack and leading from the front or being a half and directing everything. I guess its not his fault hes been put in the centres but he tends to go missing a bit out there

danpatmac_old

He is an absolutely committed and honorable player.
He is not a captains arsehole.
Who is better and what damage would it do to the club to replace him?
I agree he needs to improve this and his relationship with officials, because they seem to dislike him.

numbnutsnz_old

I dont think they should replace him, although, if the captaincy is the thing that would get Maloney to commit to the club on a lengthy deal they should seriously consider it. Im not totally against co captains.

danpatmac_old

I dont think they should replace him, although, if the captaincy is the thing that would get Maloney to commit to the club on a lengthy deal they should seriously consider it. Im not totally against co captains.

Maloney has a worse relationship with the refs than Mannering.
Penalty anyone?

Northern_Union

Agreed on being 100% committed. But as Dan says he aint no captain. He's the closest thing Ivan could find to himself in the team.

numbnutsnz_old

Maloney has a worse relationship with the refs than Mannering.
Penalty anyone?/QUOTE]

He has that relationship with refs because he talks to them as if he is captain. Him having a yarn to the ref wont result in a penalty if he is captain.

Iafeta_old

As a leader of a team, I can only honestly say leadership is a very very hard thing to perfect. There's a lot of textbooks, there's a lot of inspirational real life leadership biographies, but to actually be able to apply them with every individual who has different emotions and drives is incredibly tough.

Last night I noticed Mannering get into the referee on a couple of occasions (sometimes unfounded), and I also noticed him trying to talk it up at various points particularly between the goal posts. That was unusual for him. He's not what I would describe as a vocal charismatic, and charisma he generates is driven by 'follow me', similar to Micheal Luck in that aspect.

To be a captain or a leader you have to make it a lot about the others. That's a very hard thing to do naturally. I don't really see any better options there last night. Locke, too young and has had a lot of issues. Inu, too casual and seems to be a quite laid back personality. Brown, seems to be quite preoccupied with perfecting his own game (thats not a criticism, its just how I perceive him to be). Manu, hard to captain from the wing and I doubt he could add too much. Maloney too much of a hot head. Johnson too young. Luck, hasn't been successful as a captain but a good option. Mateo, I feel extra leadership pressure could be just that for him... pressure. Taylor a future option but certainly too raw right now. Packer a future option but a bit raw at the moment. Berrigan, struggling to hold his place. Lillyman a definite option, but I'm not sure of whether he could inspire per se. Interchange players, Matulino perhaps is a future option although he appears rather laid back, Hohaia is leaving, Steve Rapira is trying to get a consistent spot let alone worry about leadership, Latimore much the same.

The only ones perhaps right now in the club with a capability to lead IMO are Luck (but has had poor results), Sam Rapira (he seems even quieter than Mannering though), and Seymour (although he hasn't got a long term future here and has had serious off field issues in the past). The question I'd ask is who realistically are captaincy options aside from Mannering, he seems streets ahead of any other option we have.

numbnutsnz_old

Iafeta, I agree that leadership is hard to put into practice, but as a professional Mannering need to stump up. I have also lead teams and im by no means a vocal person, but when things needed to be said and someone needed to lead from the front I got out of my comfort zone and did those things, and that was just for a school footy and basketball team let alone a professional league team.

I started this thread thinking similar too you, who else do we have? But the more I think about it, the more I think Maloney. Luck is probably the obvious choice and he probably deserves it but I feel like the captaincy could only add to Maloneys game. The only argument so far is hes a bit hot headed with the refs, but as captain he would be allowed a bit of leeway in that regard. Hes in a position to lead the team and is already one of very few members who are prepared to speak up in front of the team in these team huddles. Maloney and Luck do all the talking, they are the options we have.

Iafeta_old

The other argument is Maloney won't be here long term. He'll be lacing up the boots and doing a Nancy Sinatra at the end of next year. Nothing surer.

numbnutsnz_old

But we could get Maloney here long term if we gave him the captaincy. Thats not something he would leave behind no matter the price tag.

numbnutsnz_old

Fair call, but he wasnt leaving behind the captaincy at the Bulldogs to assume his position at the warriors not as captain.

Iafeta_old

It was up in the air. There were thoughts that Monty Betham would retain (he ended up pulling out). Then were thoughts that it'd go to Ruben Wiki. He was the likely option, probable even, but it wasn't a definite.

Irrespective, unless Maloney gets a very very very good payday here on his next contract he won't be here. It won't have much to do with captaincy etc. The bloke is fairly desperate to get back to Sydney to be with his family. The truth of the matter was he wanted a release earlier this year on compassionate grounds, he wanted to be back with his family.

numbnutsnz_old

Im not ruling it out. Im going to think positive and hope that Maloney does what the Price family did and all move over here and live happily ever after.

Iafeta_old

There was a fair difference though. Pricey basically from the start was happy to be here. He saw it as a great opportunity for him and his family to learn a new culture.

Maloney's a young chap from Orange in the country who has had family tragedies back home over the past 2-3 years that have made it difficult for him and his family. Pricey never asked for a release because he wanted to be back in Australia, Maloney already has. I'm also not sure the effect that would have on the other players. Here is a dude that has asked to move away from you, now we are going to have him as our leader.

If there are any other options to Mannering they'll come from Sam Rapira, Jacob Lillyman or Micheal Luck (given Seymour is very unlikely to be here next year). I don't think they'd appoint any of those guys ahead of Mannering.

kingdamo_old

It was up in the air. There were thoughts that Monty Betham would retain (he ended up pulling out). Then were thoughts that it'd go to Ruben Wiki. He was the likely option, probable even, but it wasn't a definite.

Irrespective, unless Maloney gets a very very very good payday here on his next contract he won't be here. It won't have much to do with captaincy etc. The bloke is fairly desperate to get back to Sydney to be with his family. The truth of the matter was he wanted a release earlier this year on compassionate grounds, he wanted to be back with his family.

I've seen an interview where he denies this, saying it was all wrong.