General Captain Mannering

numbnutsnz_old

I just got back from the game, was sitting in the south stand so had a good view of what was going on in the huddle when the Dragons ran in 3 tries in the first half. I can tell you there wasnt much going on. No talking, no encouragement, nothing.

I like Mannering as a player, but hes not cutting it as captain for me. He doesnt speak up or lead by example at all. He spent more time with his head down and hands on his knees than talking to the boys and firing them up. He needs to become a lot more vocal because at the moment he just seems like any other player. It doesnt look like the rest of the team look up to him or respect him as a captain, and this is because hes never acted like one. He needs to step up a lead from the front so the rest of the team can follow him and hopefully find some form and start winning games.

Trotbags_old

I think being Captain is screwing with his mind. Put him back to being a work horse where he doesn't have that pressure. Today he was walking around with his head down.

We need someone to get the players motivated and back on track when they are on the field, they obviously aren't getting it from the coach.

Fazz_old

Anybody could have told you he's not a talker. All the noise from people backing him was"he leads by example" Well shit that explains why we have NOTHING in attack and NOTHING in defense. Mannering has gone backwards to a huge degree since we signed him to his last contract.

He's actually right at the bottom of the list of players for me. Even if guys like Inu or Mateo **** something up, at least in attack it's because they're actually trying something. Mannering is full of BASIC errors that he should not be making.

Bottom line for me is that Mannering either needs to be rested or put into the Vulcans. Hohaia too. Just because you're "internationals" doesn't make you immune from being dropped. Both have been consistently among our worst in the first three rounds.

scree_old

Who should be captain?
Luck?
Maloney?
umm can't think of many good options.

Someone needs to fire up the team and also have a go at the ref now and then.

Fazz_old

Maloney. He would fire the **** up if he saw that we were slacking. Luck would be an OK choice but not as much of an angry bastard like Maloney.

BeepeeNZ_old

Lacks Enthusiasm

Watched the pre match Captain's interviews on Sky TV after coin toss and I said to my wife that the Warriors had " No Show" as Mannering had all the enthusiasm of a concrete driveway. He just looked like he didn't even want to be there.

Magic Stick_old

Even though Sam Rapira is out of form...id make him the captain

Mannering aint a captains a-hole

mrblonde_old

Our fitness doesn't seem all that - quite regularly we had one or two players strolling back to get onside. And I seem to recall a prime offender having the number 12 on his back... Or am I being a bit harsh here?

Much as he's my favourite player, Lance should bugger off to either the Vulcans or simply have a week off. What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is he doing??

That first try was woefully bad. Even if you say it was a wicked bounce and I don't think it was, Lance should have had that one covered - in fact it should never have bounced in the first damn place.

Mannering's captainisity. SHITE. We had a couple of weird calls against us but did anyone from the Warriors go up to the ref and say "Excuse me, sir, but with all respect what the fxxx was that for?". I certainly never noticed anyone doing it and that's Mannering's job as captain.

One good thing about the game - no damn cheerleaders at half time. Sweet.

We showed glimpses in the second half but obviously the horse was far and away by that stage. Just like we've shown glimpses over the last two games.

Don't know how to take the Sharks' form. Both the Dragons and Panthers were rather meh but you can only play what's in front of you and that's what the Sharks have done.

If Ivan doesn't want to/can't drop players other than Hohaia which is a no brainer for me:
Inu to 1
Topou to 5
Mannering to 15
Brown to 11
Luck captain I guess as he's vice-captain at present. Although I don't know if there's a rule that says your captain has to be in the starting 13..?

Taylor or Mara to play next week hopefully.

Ivan probably told the Warriors board that he would deliver them a title in 2011. The Warriors board probably didn't tell Ivan that the wooden spoon wasn't quite the kind of title they had in mind.