Rumour Cappy's 2015 KPI's + Stacey Jones Waiting in the Wings

Surely this cannot be true. We need a coach who,will be around for 5 years.

Unfortunately for Cappy I'm of the opinion there is 3 or 4 players that need moving on, both for the club but also for there own careers. Given this he needs time to mould his own squad.

Cheers. Appreciate it.

It wouldnt surprise me if this is a directive from Jim Doyle himself. We expected accountability and it appears to be exactly what he's done. I love what Cappy has done to date and the things Im hearing from the boys but Im even more sick of the on field results we've all had to endure since the ill fated Cleary/Bluey experiment.

I would be flummoxed if Stacey Jones catapults straight into the hot seat though...
I think Cappy should be given more time. You don't kick 20 years of bad culture in 2 years.

Fast tracking Stace like this sends the wrong message IMO. It says, we're not confident he's the right man for the job. But if that is true then why sign him to a longish contract after only a few games? Makes management look wishy washy.

Very déstabilising behaviour. If they keep putting coaches under this kind of pressure constantly nobody will want to coach us except unproven nobodies.

That said, this whole statement is only a rumour.

I don't think I'd give a head coaches job to anybody who doesn't have a couple of years experience as an assistant first. Preferably those years should also be under a good coach who they can learn from.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Probably the most iconic Coach since Vince Lombardi, Alex Fergusson took years to get Manchester United successful when he took over. If he had the same spotlight put on him as the Warriors on Cappy and the ridiculous KPI's he wouldn't have lasted 3 seasons.
Same thing happened with Wayne Bennett. Fans were calling for his head when he first started. Seemed like the only person who believed in him was the chairman at the time. We all know what happened in the end.

I don't think I'd give a head coaches job to anybody who doesn't have a couple of years experience as an assistant first. Preferably those years should also be under a good coach who they can learn from.
I thinking this is BS too now based on some of the points youve raised. The Stacey part anyway. Surely they cant be dumb enough to repeat Bluey...

Sounds like another attempt to deflect responsibility off the players, and onto the coach... Or deflect responsibility off the management and onto the coach...

Talk about a blame hound...

Jesus Christ. If Stacey is appointed coach, it will 100% end in tears. He did well to win the NYC, but come on ... lets hold off on talk of him coaching the NRL team until he's won at least two comps with the NSW Cup team. Even then, I think appointing him would be a bad call.

I still don't think the Warriors would sack another coach, and Stacey isn't ready but in saying that, I have full confidence in us making the 8, with a few teams on the slide (Manly, Storm, Chooks as well as GF teams usually dip after playing in the big dance I can see us having a mortgage on 5th or 6th.
I like the bit saying he's seen how the other 15 clubs are run and he's picking bits from each club from seeing what works and what doesn't.

Does this add more credence to the threads rumour???

New Warriors managing director Jim Doyle has started his tenure with fighting talk, saying the club must make the playoffs and expect to improve every year.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/63238850/New-Warriors-boss-Jim-Doyle-lays-down-his-law

I think by that though he is indicating change would be required, but that could be the player roster, support coaching staff, Dean Bellend ... Or perhaps of course Cappy. It's a fair comment. We should be consistently top 4 IMO.

ToiletDuck

Administrator
If Jones gets the head coach gig anywhere inside the next 5 years I'll officially dis-own the club. It would prove the club has learned absolutely nothing and even with a change of CEO, the obsession with including past Warriors/Kiwis in our current first grade setup is at times intolerable. We seem so desperate to do it at every given opportunity, much like Newcastle are doing. Matt Gidley CEO, Buderus now part of the coaching staff...they're just so desperate to cling onto people associated with past glories.

I don't give a shit what Jones has done with the U20's. It's a good start, but it has zero indication as to what's required at NRL level, from both a coaching and playing perspective. Nothing against Stacey, he's simply trying to progress as a coach, but if the organisation feels the need to fast-track him because he's 'Stacey Jones'...then we're all doomed.

Ideally he should have had another year with the Holden Cup side and then a few years with the NSW Cup side before moving onto being an assistant for the first grade side.

I know we have given a few coaches their "start" but you want guys to have some kind of experience behind them. McFadden has had an apprenticeship and shown promise, after ditching the last two coaches quickly we need some stability. The best way to do that would be to support the current coach and give him a fair shot. If we fire him another rookie will be thrown too far in the deep end in my opinion.

Give Jones a few years with the NSW Cup side to learn the ins and out coaching a team every week can throw at you

Reactions: ToiletDuck
If Jones gets the head coach gig anywhere inside the next 5 years I'll officially dis-own the club. It would prove the club has learned absolutely nothing and even with a change of CEO, the obsession with including past Warriors/Kiwis in our current first grade setup is at times intolerable. We seem so desperate to do it at every given opportunity, much like Newcastle are doing. Matt Gidley CEO, Buderus now part of the coaching staff...they're just so desperate to cling onto people associated with past glories.

I don't give a shit what Jones has done with the U20's. It's a good start, but it has zero indication as to what's required at NRL level, from both a coaching and playing perspective. Nothing against Stacey, he's simply trying to progress as a coach, but if the organisation feels the need to fast-track him because he's 'Stacey Jones'...then we're all doomed.
I agree ToiletDuck , like most people here I have always been a Stacey Jones fan but he has no business being a first grade coach just yet.
I sure he will one day but surely that has to be in years to come as he builds up his own experience. I would even go as far to say Stacey Jones could become a future Kiwis coach.
For the Warriors right now, I personally am happy with Andrew McFadden in charge and really hope with a full season ahead of him, he can coach our team back into finals footy again, and ultimately win the big one. He has my full support.

Reactions: ToiletDuck

History is littered with amazing players who became average coaches, and average players who became amazing coaches...

The idea of Jones getting a coaching promotion based mainly on his reputation as a player (after getting a GF win coaching the cesspool of talent that is the Warriors U20s).....
makes me think of this clip for some strange reason.

Coach-changing contributed massively to player attitude hassles: if coach A won't play me for continual shit performances, I'll float around for a bit, and when there's a new coach he'll play me because I'm a Name on a big contract.

I doubt there's much truth to the rumour beyond someone overhearing a joking remark, but if there is some truth to it, the club is fucked up beyond repair.