What the NRL should be doing to assist the game in NZ:
- get former greats touring NZ regularly to promote the sport - Cam Smith, Thurston, Johns, etc
- get the commentators to be positive about the Warriors
- even better fund NZ commentators assisting the regulars for Warriors games
- get the NRL shows to give equal coverage to NZ (I know they are catering to their market but this is to grow the sport and create a bigger market)
- get former coaches running school age coaching camps. There are always plenty out of a job or between jobs (Brown, Green, Maninga, etc)
- have the NRL running several school competitions in NZ every year where several nrl players come as VIP’s
- play several reprentitive games in NZ every year all stars, Maori vs Aborigine; a SOO game, Australia/ NZ test matches annually, etc
- encouraging all teams to take 1 or 2 home games to growth areas (including around NZ). That’s about 20-30 games per year growing new markets. Get the Sydney teams doing a greater share. Similar to a game in Perth every year but supersized.
The NRL has used us as a cash cow as the game dies in NZ. Grow the game and we get more talent recruited into all the teams, build up to a second NZ team and the tv rights grow.