General Brothers sign for Warriors......

• Thread starter warriorfaithful*_old
  • Start date

warriorfaithful*_old

DOUBLE DELIGHT FOR VODAFONE WARRIORS AS YOUNG BROTHERS JOIN CLUB

The Vodafone Warriors have beaten several rival NRL clubs to sign one of New Zealand rugby league’s most exciting prospects Russell Packer and his older brother Paora.
Vodafone Warriors welfare and development manager Tony Iro said securing the Foxton-born and bred teenagers was hugely significant.
“There was enormous interest in the boys from clubs in Australia, especially Russell who is highly rated by everyone who has seen him,†he said.
“Our aim is to keep as many of New Zealand’s best young prospects at the club as we can.
“This reinforces our commitment to developing our own players and it also shows we are able to offer local players a great pathway to first-grade football.â€Â
Russell Packer (16), a New Zealand Under-16 representative last year, is a 188cm 112kg prop, and Paora (18) is a 187cm 95kg second rower. They both play for Manawatu’s Central Falcons in the Bartercard Cup, Paora making his debut in 2005 and Russell this year.
In fact, Falcons coach David Lomax had the younger brother lined up for his first Bartercard Cup appearance last year when he was still only 15, only for the New Zealand Rugby League to rule he was too young.
“The fact they’ve both signed for the Vodafone Warriors is a first for rugby league in Manawatu and for the Central Falcons,†said Lomax.
“This shows there’s a chance in this country for players from our area to join an NRL club. It’s a brilliant opportunity for them and a big boost for us.â€Â
Lomax said he had few qualms about exposing Russell Packer in the Bartercard Cup despite his youthful age.
“He’s young but he is good enough and he’s big enough. He’s also smart with it. He's head boy at Manawatu College and he's an academic,†he said.
"They’re really good boys.â€Â
Iro echoed Lomax’s sentiments.
“It’s exciting to be able to bring players like this to the club,†said Iro.
“We want to encourage players from areas like Manawatu to come through the system to earn the chance to develop into first-grade footballers.â€Â
Both brothers began their rugby league careers with the Levin Lions but also have a background in rugby union. They played in age-group representative union teams when they were younger.
Russell had been alternating between both codes but switched to league full-time last year when he was forced by his school to make a decision between the two.

RUSSELL PACKER

Born: October 9, 1989
Birthplace: Foxton
Position: Prop
Height: 188cm
Weight: 112kg
Junior Club: Levin Lions
Bartercard Cup: Central Falcons (2006)
Representative: New Zealand Under-16s (2005)
Educated: Manawatu College

PAORA PACKER

Born: August 5, 1987
Birthplace: Foxton
Position: Second rower
Height: 187cm
Weight: 95kg
Junior Club: Levin Lions
Bartercard Cup: Central Falcons (2005-06)
Representative: New Zealand Maori Under-18 (2005)
Educated: Manawatu College

AmeriKiwi_old

Well there you GO... the Warriors ARE actively looking to sign local talent!! Can`t wait to see them play their first game!

warriorfaithful*_old

AmeriKiwi said:
Well there you GO... the Warriors ARE actively looking to sign local talent!! Can`t wait to see them play their first game!

Yeah some more exciting talent coming throught the ranks!

L N_old

great that we have secured them
lets hope the proposed development programs
get the go ahead and other youngsters
coming through will stay home

warriors4life_old

Yeah, glad to see we've held on to some good kiwi talent for the future.

Iafeta_old

The talk I've heard regarding Russell's potential is phenomonal. Hopefully they both realise their potential, because if they do, the wraps on Russell are massive, we're in for something special in the years to come.

warriorfaithful*_old

Iafeta said:
The talk I've heard regarding Russell's potential is phenomonal. Hopefully they both realise their potential, because if they do, the wraps on Russell are massive, we're in for something special in the years to come.

I really hope so!

Skinny_Ravs82

You see! They don't need to go looking overseas for this sort of a thing. The Warriors notice alot and they would be the only NRL club to really take note of all the local kids. So I hope that keeps people from saying we don't pick our own kids. ;)

Tajhay_old

i remember the article on russell packer a while back...

im so glad he is on our side :)

STRIDER_old

Yeah Not only is this great for the Warriors but from I heard Its not just Russel who has huge talent. Apparently the other brother signed is a deadset copy of Nathan Hindmarsh

sebastian_old

I appalud managment to the full extent, by the time these guys become stars(everything crossed they will) they won't want to move to australia as they would've been settled already in personal life. So no more 400,000 for a prop bullshit. This is bigger news than it sounds, as a precedent has been set today. More juioners will want to sign now, it also shows eric watson is not thinking about pulling the plug on the warriors, which is releiving.

JonB_old

STRIDER said:
Yeah Not only is this great for the Warriors but from I heard Its not just Russel who has huge talent. Apparently the other brother signed is a deadset copy of Nathan Hindmarsh

if he was that good he would almost be in the NRL, I hope they are good but would love to see us sign a good young half/standoff/hooker.

Skinny_Ravs82

JonB said:
STRIDER said:

if he was that good he would almost be in the NRL, I hope they are good but would love to see us sign a good young half/standoff/hooker.

just a 5/8

sebastian_old

No one wants ravs gone skinny but for the future of the warriors we need need home grown halves. It'll be a long time till ravs goes don't worry!!

PB_old

This is seriously good news. Exactly the sort of signal the Warriors need to send to the up and comers regarding future pathways. Awesome.

Esoj_old

JonB said:
STRIDER said:

well they have looked obviously and not found anyone yet. hence why the likes of rovelli got bought.