General brisbane game

jb1979_old

I could smell trouble in the space of the last 5 minutes 1st half remember when the broncos were struggling they were down 12 - 4 and were having trouble getting out of there 20m line

a grubber kick was put through hoffman clearly knocked it on but he was standing sideways and his right leg propelled the back back the call it a knock back then 2 plays later they get a penalty and score off that right on halftime

what about maloney being penalised for not getting off the tackled player when he he clearly moved away quite quickly but funny enough a few minutes later i see lillyman staying down longer on a tackled player but he was not penalised the warriors were clearly the better team and brisbane were given a helping hand with crucial calls

the positive i am seeing from this that it is better to lose to the teams ahead of you the last 6 weeks of the comp because if you meet them semi final time they are less prepared what to expect and the warriors are playing as a team they are not a team with a handful of game breakers or a team which relies on one player to get them home

vatuvei was still injured from last week that's why in stages he was playing quite odd if he is injured and is getting selected still i hope it is not going to affect his injury because come September he is needed fit

sebastian_old

They got help when they really needed it. When we were on top late in the first half, they kept getting easy passage out of their red zone. We would've really be dominating otherwise.

We were so far on top after our confidence soared but we just wern't ruthless enough when we had our minimal chances. Assuming we ever got a fair go, we could've really put a score on them. I truly believe that. To come back so hard is the sign of a good team, that is united. My only fear is that we'll drop our heads. We must keep the faith. If we can somehow keep our confidence going. We can get on a roll.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eccawarrior_old

They got help when they really needed it. When we were on top late in the first half, they kept getting easy passage out of their red zone. We would've really be dominating otherwise.

We were so far on top after our confidence soared but we just wern't ruthless enough when we had our minimal chances. Assuming we ever got a fair go, we could've really put a score on them. I truly believe that. To come back so hard is the sign of a good team, that is united. My only fear is that we'll drop our heads. We must keep the faith. If we can somehow keep our confidence going. We can get on a roll.

We have some quility 2nd rowers but I think we lose some oomph without Ukuma Ta'ai, but then again who do we drop? :confused1:
Did everyone know Likiliki will again be a Warrior, I read it in Rugby League Week incase nobody knew, sorry haven't got a link though.

ToiletDuck_old

Did everyone know Likiliki will again be a Warrior, I read it in Rugby League Week incase nobody knew, sorry haven't got a link though.

Haha dude, there was a thread re this. The Mole reported he was heading back, but he has since denied it on twitter and there's been no other source to the rumour.

In any case, it may still eventuate but the general consensus is that was BS. (I have been working a lot so I may be out of the loop but as far as I'm aware that's about it).

dingleberry_old

Haha dude, there was a thread re this. The Mole reported he was heading back, but he has since denied it on twitter and there's been no other source to the rumour.

In any case, it may still eventuate but the general consensus is that was BS. (I have been working a lot so I may be out of the loop but as far as I'm aware that's about it).

RLW also reported Nathan Friend and Likiliki as our ins for next year (as part of their gains/losses for 2012 article) but they could be wrong.. who knows..

Est95_old

Losing this game like that isnt that bad tbh. It will be a good learning curve and good practice for semi-final like intensity. We cant and shouldnt win EVery game on the way to the finals, we need to time our run so we're hitting our straps round 1 of the finals. A one point loss to Brisbane in brisbane isnt that bad

facefacts_old

Losing this game like that isnt that bad tbh. It will be a good learning curve and good practice for semi-final like intensity. We cant and shouldnt win EVery game on the way to the finals, we need to time our run so we're hitting our straps round 1 of the finals. A one point loss to Brisbane in brisbane isnt that bad

Indeed, I would rather lose a game in that style, than be just winning games in the horrible fashion they
were in the first half of the season.

I would rather they lose with class than win with ass.

Gundog_old

We dominated those guys, our forwards were killing them but yeah some crazzy calls went against us at times.
Just watching other games, we must be the best team at getting off the tackled player yet we get penalised for it every time.
Our players hardly ever use the tackled player to push themselves up yet every other team does it and we are always getting penalised.
I would like Johnson to take over more when we are getting close to their tryline, many times in the Toyota cup he frustrated teams by chipping in goal and getting the repeat set, he doesnt have the confidence to outcall Maloney yet I think.

numbnutsnz_old

I dont think the refs can be blamed at all. I love to blame the refs every chance I get but at the end of the day we had a few calls go our way and a few against.

The changing point of the game was the Broncos try just before half time after a poor decision by Bill Tupou to come in field. No one has really mentioned this but for me, thats when it started going down hill. Berrigan had his man covered and it was just a terrible decision from Bill. Refs had nothing to do with that.

sebastian_old

I dont think the refs can be blamed at all. I love to blame the refs every chance I get but at the end of the day we had a few calls go our way and a few against.

The changing point of the game was the Broncos try just before half time after a poor decision by Bill Tupou to come in field. No one has really mentioned this but for me, thats when it started going down hill. Berrigan had his man covered and it was just a terrible decision from Bill. Refs had nothing to do with that.

Tupou may have cost us points but by dominating Brisbane so strongly, only to have them released by soft penaties, time and time again. It was going to take a Melbourne like defensive effort to hold them out. We were dominating in that 1st half period. Those multiple penalties for Brisbane when we had them trapped in their own red zone. Changed the game. I'll also mention, the Heremia dreadful head high tackle that should've let us take a 22-20 lead.

Thats why i mentioned taking the penalty (single one we got) in the first half. Was the wrong option. Really, taking a 8-4 lead over a 6-4 lead but with a chance on their own line. Was just wrong. We had them on the ropes, we could've tired them out with a line drop out, at least. Which could've put them off there game later on.

Anyway, i'm proud of our boys. I expect to see us roll on after such a hearty performance. Can't wait for the Knights game. Bring it on!

Last edited by a moderator:

Est95_old

I agree that try was costly, but I dont think it was Bills fault. Yes he came in but that was an awesome offload. I hate it when we let in tries just before halftime, it always give the other team a bit of confidence going into the sheds

Eccawarrior_old

I know Warriors aren't very strong in the centres unless Ropati stays healthy and Moon has left, but also Knights are still low on centres now with MacDougall leaving and Lulia also, they will have Tahu, Sau and W. Naiqama, still not much depth.
I do like the look of Konrad Hurrell in our u-20's.
Media can make up bs so wouldn't really know if Likiliki will be with Knights or Warriors, but usually the mole is correct on signings, we'll just have to wait and see.

numbnutsnz_old

I know Warriors aren't very strong in the centres unless Ropati stays healthy and Moon has left, but also Knights are still low on centres now with MacDougall leaving and Lulia also, they will have Tahu, Sau and W. Naiqama, still not much depth.
I do like the look of Konrad Hurrell in our u-20's.
Media can make up bs so wouldn't really know if Likiliki will be with Knights or Warriors, but usually the mole is correct on signings, we'll just have to wait and see.

He is wrong.

Iafeta_old

I could smell trouble in the space of the last 5 minutes 1st half remember when the broncos were struggling they were down 12 - 4 and were having trouble getting out of there 20m line

a grubber kick was put through hoffman clearly knocked it on but he was standing sideways and his right leg propelled the back back the call it a knock back then 2 plays later they get a penalty and score off that right on halftime

what about maloney being penalised for not getting off the tackled player when he he clearly moved away quite quickly but funny enough a few minutes later i see lillyman staying down longer on a tackled player but he was not penalised the warriors were clearly the better team and brisbane were given a helping hand with crucial calls

the positive i am seeing from this that it is better to lose to the teams ahead of you the last 6 weeks of the comp because if you meet them semi final time they are less prepared what to expect and the warriors are playing as a team they are not a team with a handful of game breakers or a team which relies on one player to get them home

vatuvei was still injured from last week that's why in stages he was playing quite odd if he is injured and is getting selected still i hope it is not going to affect his injury because come September he is needed fit

I thought Maloney was going to slip in a tonguey. That's how long he stayed in that tackle for. He was heading past first base on the Bronco.

Fair penalty.

The key plays for mine were Tupou rushing in on Jack Reed for no reason and Pita Godinet's drop at dummy half followed by a poor defensive set up between himself and Feleti Mateo in our 10 metre zone. For some reason they decided to stand miles apart with the line gaping open like a ToiletDuck exploit. I was thrilled when Heremaia came on.

BringBackRovelli_old

It's something that needs improving a bit, our centre-wing defense. Sometimes it is necessary to jam up and in to prevent a big overlap due to an offload in the middle. For example Hodges' try after Thaiday offloaded. Thaiday attracted 3 of our defenders in the tackle, and Manu who was watching closely. Once he passed the ball, there was nothing our outside defense could have done, apart from coming up very quickly. Unfortunately Manu was in no man's land, just watching the action.

Ideally though, you want the support defenders to come from the open side. In Tupou's case, he shouldn't need to come in and help Berrigan make that tackle. It should be the defender inside Berrigan. Whenever possible, you must not risk leaving an overlap on the short side, cos that is very easy to take advantage of. 2 on 1 is not defendable. 7 on 6 is.

Of course all this is much easier said than done, and requires some serious work from the defensive backrowers.

Iafeta_old

I thought for a second Clinton Toopi and Henry Fa'afili had been reunited (on the Hodges try). Clinton grabbing a jumper, Stacey Jones being swatted away like a fly, and Henry running in cos Henz was too kewl for skool. Man, those were great days but Henry and Francis Meli usually found themselves defending in front of their backrowers.... Horrible.

BringBackRovelli_old

Holding down too long seems to be penalised so randomly, the referees should create some sort of a consistent way of policing it. They should count to three outloud or something, and if the guy is still there, blow the whistle (except if the attacker holds onto him).

danpatmac_old

Holding down too long seems to be penalised so randomly, the referees should create some sort of a consistent way of policing it. They should count to three outloud or something, and if the guy is still there, blow the whistle (except if the attacker holds onto him).

the thing about that particular penalty that annoyed me was the fact he was well off him and not in any contact with him for a good second or two before the whistle went. I felt it was a bit harsh at the time.

Iafeta_old

There was one yesterday where the guy had got off him. There was no denying that the player had been in the ruck too long. Same as Maloney's. Fair penalty.