Staff Brian Smith

You would have to suggest his back ground work regarding infrastructure was complete, bought in POS as head of recruitment, Boulous for junior development, and mapped out the future for the next 3 years. On the first team front, there was no obvious cut through as a sounding board to SK as we could all see game style and team balance was way off and results showed this. I’d suggest Autex are consolidating and cutting costs to the back office to hopefully invest in other areas. I also think if his contract had not been renewed SK would have been given the archer, having said that I’d be surprised if he was still at the helm in 2021. I’m also hopeful about Justin Morgan coaching reserve grade, I think he has something to offer.

tajhay

🏉
You would have to suggest his back ground work regarding infrastructure was complete, bought in POS as head of recruitment, Boulous for junior development, and mapped out the future for the next 3 years. On the first team front, there was no obvious cut through as a sounding board to SK as we could all see game style and team balance was way off and results showed this. I’d suggest Autex are consolidating and cutting costs to the back office to hopefully invest in other areas. I also think if his contract had not been renewed SK would have been given the archer, having said that I’d be surprised if he was still at the helm in 2021. I’m also hopeful about Justin Morgan coaching reserve grade, I think he has something to offer.
Perhaps. Morgan is an interesting choice. He put his name into the headcoach role at the Warriors previously. Maybe he sees a better pathway to that objective now with Kearney, Iro and Stacey there.

"While no one from the NZ Warriors would confirm this on Saturday, Stuff understands the 65-year-old Australian won't be at the NRL team any longer, with the club feeling they need to go in a new direction."
Sounds like a scapegoat.

"Smith came in during a period in the club's history when they were lacking top-level knowledge of how the NRL worked. But since his arrival in November 2017, there has been an influx of people with an understanding of the game."
Who are they talking about? Peter O'Sullivan is one person. I would think that Brian Smith had more league knowledge than the entire club's staff put together.

Perhaps. Morgan is an interesting choice. He put his name into the headcoach role at the Warriors previously. Maybe he sees a better pathway to that objective now with Kearney, Iro and Stacey there.

"While no one from the NZ Warriors would confirm this on Saturday, Stuff understands the 65-year-old Australian won't be at the NRL team any longer, with the club feeling they need to go in a new direction."
Sounds like a scapegoat.

"Smith came in during a period in the club's history when they were lacking top-level knowledge of how the NRL worked. But since his arrival in November 2017, there has been an influx of people with an understanding of the game."
Who are they talking about? Peter O'Sullivan is one person. I would think that Brian Smith had more league knowledge than the entire club's staff put together.
Morgan has no chance as long as iro is the assistant!! I mean how it's harder to get the assistant role then it is head coach!!!!!

Me too. I think SK has probably made him redundant by not listening and insisting it is his way or else. After all he has a three year contract to support himself. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Think you're on the money there Bruce. As I posted earlier, Smith (at the moment) is probably the cheapest option in getting the top end costs down. If that is the case, you can bet damn sure that SK will be on a razor edge with a win/loss ratio already in mind by the new owners.

Reactions: Tragic and bruce

bruce

Contributor
Think you're on the money there Bruce. As I posted earlier, Smith (at the moment) is probably the cheapest option in getting the top end costs down. If that is the case, you can bet damn sure that SK will be on a razor edge with a win/loss ratio already in mind by the new owners.
That makes sense, next coach Stacey Jones :rolleyes: ...now how did the reserves go under him?🤔

Reactions: warriors55
Fox site saying Brian Smiths role was going to be altered and had a fallout with management.
It is reported on there he was in charge of reviews and contracts.
I wonder if POS was allowed to sign with the warriors on the conditions he wouldn’t be involved with any contracts..

I wonder if POS was allowed to sign with the warriors on the conditions he wouldn’t be involved with any contracts..
None of the Warriors sites have the typical "thank you for your time" so they can't have parted on friendly terms but maybe he was let go because of some of the contracts.

Reactions: bruce

tajhay

🏉

The New Zealand Warriors have parted company with ex-Parramatta, Newcastle and Sydney Roosters coach Brian Smith.

Smith has been the Warriors general manager of football for the past two years but after a dispute with club management they are going their separate ways

The ex-NRL head coach had 12 months remaining on his contract but Fox Sports has been told Smith will not be returning to the New Zealand club.
Smith was in charge on conducting the Warriors season reviews and also staff contracts but was recently informed his role would be altered heading into 2020.

--

Judging by Kearney's post mortem of the end of season reviews where there is not a single astute acknowledgement of what went wrong other than making excuses "oh we were 2 wins off from 8th" and full of cliches "we wont pay up just for anyone, we are going to be smart about it". No shit sherlock! Seems like the review was an utter complete waste of time. Even last year's seemed better when kearney said he would revise how we attack....oh wait....thats called tweaking 'game model' now isnt it?

its a pointless exercise because people cant be truthful and acknowledge their failings. All protecting their overpaid roles.

If he was incharge of re-signing Kearney, than i am 100% glad he is gone. Now if Kearney can go as well than i might be somewhat optimistic that there is an actual change happening at this club and players will rewarded with opportunities based on how they play rather than because Kearney loves having them around just because they nod in agreement when he speaks.

#SayNoToYESMen

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
Fox site saying Brian Smiths role was going to be altered and had a fallout with management.
It is reported on there he was in charge of reviews and contracts.
And when the new owner took over he said I want to know why we a re e signing a player for $600,000 a season, maybe some thing maybe nothing.

Brian Smith is very strongmindes annd likes to do things on his terms. Any interference and he will disagree and walk away.

He won't really need the job. I suspect it is a good opportunity for Autex to redefine roles within the coaching ranks and save some $$$.

Reactions: YeahNah 4020
Brian Smith first got involved with the Kiwis in their dismal 2017 World Cup then became part of the Warriors staff in 2018.
Last year we made the top 8 but maybe his approach isn't suited here.
Also like somebody said these were people brought in by Stephen Kearney. Maybe if next season doesn't start successfully they are in the early stages of pulling it all apart.