Staff Brian Smith

Stalefish540

Stalefish540

Contributor
Pretty sure in the media clip he talks about living and working in Auckland. He’s essentially doing everything not directly related to Kearney’s coaching role, can’t see how he could do it all from Aussie.
Yea I didn't watch the video yet, just going off Mt Wellys comment

Reactions: 2 users
Off The Bench

Off The Bench

One thing you guys might not realise is that on the day that the background photo was taken
Someone had stolen Shaun's hair products that's why he looks so pissed .
Looking at the photo iv got a sneaking suspicion it was Mannering .

• Haha
bruce

bruce

Contributor
“The GM will drive all aspects of football operations and leave no stone unturned in ensuring we have our system right and a very strong enforcement of standards and accountability.

“Challenging the status quo is welcome so a complete understanding of how a football department operates efficiently, transparently and as one unit to deliver the best results for our fans and corporate partners was paramount when we were searching for the candidate.

“In particular, coaching support and mentorship along with recruitment, salary cap strategy and management were heavily weighted. In Brian we’re securing a person who has lived and breathed it for more than 600 NRL games at multiple clubs and obviously knows what is required.

“With this structure now in place, Stephen Kearney can concentrate specifically on coaching and set aside to Brian all other football department-related activities. The model we’re introducing is used to great effect in many sports.”

Smith said he relished the opportunity the role offered.

“I couldn’t be more excited about taking up this role,” he said.
We are all sick of the Warriors hype but IMO there is absolutely no hype in that release. It is all 100% true.
Since John Hart quit and Doyle took over the club has gone backwards because we had an amateur running the football department. Owen Glenn wanted Mat Elliott to do the job but that got canned, I don't know why.
As for Smith relishing the role what rugby league coach wouldn't relish the role of developing the talent in NZ and harnessing the support of a whole country? For a guy like Smith it has to be a dream come true.

The big problem I see is if Kearney doesn't kick on with Smith's support. In that case George would probably support Smith and we would be in for the Aussie/Kiwi debate from the old boys network...again.

Reactions: 1 users
CompletionRate

CompletionRate

Looks like my source was bang on the money. This signing was made weeks ago

Reactions: 8 users
Pozza

Pozza

Has he ever won anything other than wooden spoons?
To be honest he's done fuck all, four GF appearances, a couple of minor premierships. Just a loser, we don't need his like at our highly successful club.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users

WarriorBall

We are all sick of the Warriors hype but IMO there is absolutely no hype in that release. It is all 100% true.
Since John Hart quit and Doyle took over the club has gone backwards because we had an amateur running the football department. Owen Glenn wanted Mat Elliott to do the job but that got canned, I don't know why.
As for Smith relishing the role what rugby league coach wouldn't relish the role of developing the talent in NZ and harnessing the support of a whole country? For a guy like Smith it has to be a dream come true.

The big problem I see is if Kearney doesn't kick on with Smith's support. In that case George would probably support Smith and we would be in for the Aussie/Kiwi debate from the old boys network...again.

So Brucey just to be clear who’s coaching the Warriors now Smith or Kearney?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
surfin

surfin

Has he ever won anything other than wooden spoons?

Even with a wooden spoon he's won more than the Warriors, despite the team putting in some gallant efforts in the second half of multiple seasons to come last they haven't even been able to do that properly. Hopefully the next time we have a record breaking run of losses we actually finish with something for the trophy cabinet, not just a hollow second worst team, we need to lift our aim and go for worst.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Pozza

Pozza

Even with a wooden spoon he's won more than the Warriors, despite the team putting in some gallant efforts in the second half of multiple seasons to come last they haven't even been able to do that properly. Hopefully the next time we have a record breaking run of losses we actually finish with something for the trophy cabinet, not just a hollow second worst team, we need to lift our aim and go for worst.
Your right I don't think there's enough importance placed on coming last. Second to last is for pussys. How do we expect to attract the calibre of player we require to hoist the spoon if we are constantly over achieving

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Akuma_81

Akuma_81

He's definitely an interesting character with plenty of experience and an astute footy brain.
He's coached 3 different teams to grand finals, but lost all mind you!
Parra also finished minor premiers under his watch twice.
I also remember during his tenure at Parra that he had the wood over Wayne Bennett for a number of years and would often employ strange and unsettling tactics to beat the Broncos. During that time however they had a better record than anyone in Brisbane.
Mark Tookey has also said that Brian Smith was the best coach he ever played under, but he would use all sorts of mind games on his players.
He definitely has a mixed record, but I'm very optimistic about his signing and hopefully he administers a good swift kick up the bum for our club!

Tim burgess

It could turn out to be a good move. He has experience of rebuilding clubs.

We shouldn’t judge him on not winning a grand final. I’m a Hull fan. He completely transformed Hull from bottom of the table to premiership contenders on a shoestring budget.

He transformed Karl Harrison, Lee Jackson and Paul Eastwood into quality international players.

Hopefully those qualities can be transferred to the Warriors.

Reactions: 8 users

Dunedin warrior

He is intelligent, experienced and ruthless three things we lack at the warriors. I think it's a great move.

Reactions: 7 users
Pozza

Pozza

If he doesn’t get the full support of the club it will amount to SFA. That’s my biggest fear. Rest assured they’re will
be some tears amongst the playing group

Navigator

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
If he doesn’t get the full support of the club it will amount to SFA. That’s my biggest fear. Rest assured they’re will
be some tears amongst the playing group
The old armed forces motto.
U have to break them down before u can build them up.

• Haha

Tim burgess

I know players who were coached by him at Hull. He certainly brought discipline and innovation into the club, but more
Importantly respect for the black white jersey.

For a number of seasons I don’t think players understand how much of privilege it is to player NRL but more importantly for the Warriors. Hopefully with Corvo and Smith on board this about to change.

If so, we may see scenes like yesterday more often at mount smart.

Reactions: 5 users