Staff Brian Smith

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
BRIAN SMITH

Illawarra (1984-87), St George (1991-95), Parramatta (1997-2006), Newcastle (2007-09), Roosters (2010-12)

Win record: 52.7%

Sacked with a year remaining on his contract at the end of 2012 by the Roosters, Smith spent 36 years in the game as a coach. He was general manager of the Warriors for two years, with the 66-year-old let go last November. He has been working in his spare-time as an Uber driver in Brisbane.

Would be an interesting Uber ride.

Graeme West drove a taxi, as did Lowie and of course, Ewen Chatfield( CorparateCabs).

Last edited:

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
BRIAN SMITH

Illawarra (1984-87), St George (1991-95), Parramatta (1997-2006), Newcastle (2007-09), Roosters (2010-12)

Win record: 52.7%

Sacked with a year remaining on his contract at the end of 2012 by the Roosters, Smith spent 36 years in the game as a coach. He was general manager of the Warriors for two years, with the 66-year-old let go last November. He has been working in his spare-time as an Uber driver in Brisbane.

He is 66

Retired

Great career

Uber driver - doubt he’s doing it for the $ but to engage with the fans

He must have some juicy stories to tell over a long ride..

Investigative reporting - find out what happened with the SK saga and him and Corvo leaving... they seem like the type who would be in the payten no BS type character..

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I guess the question one could ask is that if you are 66, basically unemployable compared to before, and need some cash flow, is there anything to be sniffed at in driving a cab? It is an honest living compared with some so called successful businessman like Eric Watson.

My only concern for Brian, who I think is a nice guy, is that Uber is a failed business model. He would have been better off going like Graham Lowe and Ewen Chatfield and getting into a proper taxi business. I never take an Uber, I always call one of the reputable companies. Just saying like.

On the plus side, like Chats and Lowie he would not be short of customers because the stories could flow thick and fast.

That should get things moving. ;) :happy:

Reactions: Worried2Death

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I guess the question one could ask is that if you are 66, basically unemployable compared to before, and need some cash flow, is there anything to be sniffed at in driving a cab? It is an honest living compared with some so called successful businessman like Eric Watson.

My only concern for Brian, who I think is a nice guy, is that Uber is a failed business model. He would have been better off going like Graham Lowe and Ewen Chatfield and getting into a proper taxi business. I never take an Uber, I always call one of the reputable companies. Just saying like.

On the plus side, like Chats and Lowie he would not be short of customers because the stories could flow thick and fast.

That should get things moving. ;) :happy:

All true Bruce, but as a person who likes to and has skills to engage with the public Uber might be that way to engage and get a few bucks as well. Also I know in Melbourne a Taxi Licence costs around half a million. So will not be much cheaper in Sydney.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
All true Bruce, but as a person who likes to and has skills to engage with the public Uber might be that way to engage and get a few bucks as well. Also I know in Melbourne a Taxi Licence costs around half a million. So will not be much cheaper in Sydney.
I knew I would get a bite:D.

I didn't know what a taxi licence costs in Melbourne. I guess that is just a hangover from draconian closed market syndrome.

NZ used to be just as stupid. A taxi licence cost the same as a house here once...FFS.:rolleyes: I think New York is even worse.

A taxi licence costs virtually nothing here, but you have to pay for a franchise or shares in a co-op like Blue Bubble. I don't know what that runs at but it would be minimal, probably around $6000.

The problem with the Uber business model is that it encourages people who quote below cost just to get cash. That isn't just with taxis either, Uber are into anything they can.

Taxi companies charge a set fare rate. The flash outfits like Corporate have big nice cars so charge more than the small companies from west and south Auckland who cater for the less affluent.

So yes Uber would have an attraction in Oz, but the income issues would still be the same.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
Pity Smith didn’t switch to an Uber career a couple of years earlier and bypassed his stint at the Warriors. Delivered nothing positive while here.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
My only concern for Brian, who I think is a nice guy, is that Uber is a failed business model. He would have been better off going like Graham Lowe and Ewen Chatfield and getting into a proper taxi business. I never take an Uber, I always call one of the reputable companies. Just saying like

Showing your age there Bruce.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015

Fearmuss

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 4, 2016
He is 66

Retired

Great career

Uber driver - doubt he’s doing it for the $ but to engage with the fans

He must have some juicy stories to tell over a long ride..

Investigative reporting - find out what happened with the SK saga and him and Corvo leaving... they seem like the type who would be in the payten no BS type character..
Wasn’t it a POS power play with CG, they are in Robbo’s ear.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Everybody has a use by date, even taxi drivers, but most can make it into their mid 70s anyway.

With age comes wisdom...you will find out...one day. ;) :happy:

From Kung Fu TV series,

“Yes, Grasshopper. But can any man afford such arrogance?”

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Its fine now with Uber as the drivers have GPS. The days before GPS Brian Smith would of been a great taxi driver. He was always well prepared as coach, great attention to detail as he used to drive his players mad.

As a taxi driver he would of studied the maps of the city like crazy. He'd get you there on time.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings