General Brian Smith & Roosters Part Ways

The only thing worse than hiring yet another rookie coach, would be recruiting a coach who has failed for the last 25 odd years, to achieve the very thing we would be hiring him to do....if we dont get Bellamy, we will just be settling.

Reactions: 1 person

Buck777

If Smith is the warriors coach I'm rushing to the warriors office for a 2013 membership lol. A queue would be waiting all night waiting for the doors to open stretching down Maurice ave in desperation for a seat, such is the respect fans have for smith.

Reactions: facefacts
If Smith is the warriors coach I'm rushing to the warriors office for a 2013 membership lol. A queue would be waiting all night waiting for the doors to open stretching down Maurice ave in desperation for a seat, such is the respect fans have for smith.

You should probably make it clearer you're being sarcastic....the Warriors staff ghosting this site may take it as a vote of confidence in Smith, not to mention a few posters who will no doubt take what you wrote at face value....but yeah, he's not going to get members rushing out to re-up.

Danpatmac

The only thing worse than hiring yet another rookie coach, would be recruiting a coach who has failed for the last 25 odd years, to achieve the very thing we would be hiring him to do....if we dont get Bellamy, we will just be settling.

but what are our realistic chances of getting him?

We have to hire somebody if we can't get him.

Buck777

On some Aussie FB league sites I'm sure they're just trying to wind warrior fans up. The smith to the warriors posts are their attempt to give us a serve. Might even be a couple on here. When we get Bellamy I'm jumping back on those sites to serve up a few Aussies

^^^that would be a disaster, and would make us the laughing stock of the NRL.
we are dreaming if we think we are going to get the coaching caliber of bellmey,sheens etc money talks I know but I don't think so in this case.imo Brian smith would be a good appointment

but what are our realistic chances of getting him?

We have to hire somebody if we can't get him.

I think he's a smart guy, and he can probably see the writing on the wall at the Storm concerning the age of his super stars and their realistic time left in the game...he may insist on seeing out his contract next season, and if we are willing to tread water for next season we should be top of the list...well we would be if he's as smart as i think he is.

Bellamy would want to make sure he goes to a club with outstanding talent and potential, that he could mold into another dominating force like the Storm, and i think the Warriors tick all those boxes......he's also used to coaching and living in Mexico according to the Sydney press, NZ is no different.

Yes we have to hire somebody if we dont secure Bellamy, but whoever we get, they will be second choice and we will be settling. I would just prefer we settle for a coach that has at least won the damn competition sometime in the last 20 odd years.

Reactions: ramraider78
If Smith comes here, I wonder if we would trial his famous single marker defense. Hahaha.
Either way we need a coach. And if we can't get Bellamy for whatever reason, the pickings are slim...
Smith
Sheens
Potter
..?

Inruin

Contributor
Jason Taylor has emerged as the leading contender for the Sydney Roosters coaching role vacated by Brian Smith.
Widely believed to have lost the faith of his players, Smith was sacked by the Roosters on Wednesday following successive poor seasons after their 2010 grand final appearance.
Roosters Toyota Cup coach Taylor is now poised to move into the NRL role.
Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy had been strongly linked to the Roosters prior to Smith's departure.
But Bellamy's agent John Fordham stated emphatically that his client would honour his current contract with the Storm which ends in 2013.
"Craig hasn't spoken to the Roosters and neither have I," Fordham said.
"Unlike others in rugby league Craig will honour his contract.
"I keep hearing the Roosters and Craig Bellamy in 2013 but that won't happen.
"Craig has a contract with Melbourne for 2013 and he will be at Melbourne in 2013."
When asked about his thoughts on Smith's departure at a press conference in Melbourne Bellamy said: "At the end of the day that's their business. What the Roosters do doesn't concern me".
Taylor declined to comment when contacted by AAP, except to say he was grateful to Smith for the opportunities the veteran coach afforded him at the Roosters and Parramatta, and that he continued to harbour ambitions to coach at NRL level.
However Roosters chairman Nick Politis is understood to have spoken with Taylor about the vacant coaching role.
The former halfback led Parramatta to the finals as a caretaker coach in 2006, after taking over mid-season from Smith and he also guided South Sydney to their first finals appearance in almost two decades in 2007.
He has led the Roosters under 20s side to the finals in 2011 and 2012 since joining the club last season.
Ex-Warriors and Eels coach Daniel Anderson is another possibility, while former Roosters assistant Trent Robinson, who coaches Super League's Catalan Dragons is another who may come into contention.
Former Panthers coach Matt Elliott is contracted to the Roosters, but he has not impressed this season in his work as defensive coach.
While Roosters assistant coach and club veteran Craig Fitzgibbon is likely to have a continued involvement under the new coaching regime, it won't be as head coach.
Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce enjoyed premiership success with embattled Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens at the joint venture club in 2005.
But the increasing feeling is that like Smith, Sheens has lost touch with the modern game.
In a statement released by the Roosters, chairman Politis paid tribute to Smith's tenure at the club.
"A man of strong values, Brian embraced the club's values - honesty, respect, self-control, pride in the Roosters jersey and leaves behind a strong culture that will continue to grow moving forward," the statement read.
https://www.nrl.com/taylor-favourite-for-roosters-coach/tabid/10874/newsid/69751/default.aspx

sounds pretty emphatic to me rearding bellamy at storm next season. maybe the roosters are looking for a fill in coach for next year waiting for bellamy. just like us. o_O

Reactions: mt.wellington