snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I don't recall the scores getting read out to see how the judges scored it. I definitely think it came down to how specific judges saw it as Bodene was getting through with the uppercut quite a bit. Being unorthodox and gassing wouldn't of helped with the judges perception.

He was running out of gas towards the last few rounds so Gallen was able to land more and also defend a lot more of Bodene's punches.

Bodene did well though and put up a good performance.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Thompson recalls junior days with senior side
Mon 21 Mar, 2016, 7:00am
By Corey Rosser‌, New Zealand Correspondent
image.ashx

Bodene Thompson was the NRL's first Tauranga born and raised player. Credit: Charles Knight. Copyright: NRL Photos

Back in 2009 Bodene Thompson made history by becoming the first Tauranga born and raised player to make it in the Telstra Premiership.

The coastal city in New Zealand's Bay of Plenty region, located around two and a half hours south of Auckland, isn't a rugby league area as such and from a sporting point of view is more renowned for producing international cricket and rugby union stars.

These days the junior club Thompson played for, the Tauranga City Sharks (now Whalers), only have nine teams which range from under-5 to under-13 level, but a decade ago it was a gap in their senior side which presented Thompson with the chance to fall in love with rugby league.

"I was only 16 and ended up playing in the men's comp with my stepdad," Thompson told NRL.com as part of the 2016 Play NRL Round.

"That was a real standout memory for me. I went to watch my stepdad play and they were short on numbers so I ended up putting on his headgear and shoulder pads and playing in the open men's comp on the wing.

"I fell in love with the game that day I started playing for them.

"My mum rocked up and she saw me in the headgear and the shoulder pads and wasn't too happy about it at the time, but she quickly realised it was okay.

"I was nervous as and I didn't do much out on the wing, but my stepdad still cracks up about it to this day and thinks that it's pretty funny."

A short time later Thompson moved over to Australia, attending renowned rugby league nursery Keebra Park State High School.

Since then he has played 109 NRL games, taking the field for the Titans, Tigers and now Warriors.

The second-rower was also part of the Kiwis' 2014 Four Nations winning squad, and while he didn’t take the field in a Test, Thompson is thought to be the first Tauranga-raised player to be selected for the Kiwis as well.

Tauranga City Sharks stalwart Clint Lovett said Thompson is now a hero for the next generation of players at the club.

"He is a Tauranga boy who has made it, and he still maintains strong links to Tauranga with family here who are very proud of him," Lovett said.

"Bodene often makes trips back home and comes back to the club, the kids love it and he has run a few training sessions with the club.

"You are always a bit surprised when people you know go on to play in the NRL, but he always had great potential and he has done very well, and is proof that young players from here can make it to the big time."

https://www.nrl.com/thompson-recall...or-side/tabid/10874/newsid/93978/default.aspx

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
The coastal city in New Zealand's Bay of Plenty region, located around two and a half hours south of Auckland, isn't a rugby league area as such and from a sporting point of view is more renowned for producing international cricket and rugby union stars.

These days the junior club Thompson played for, the Tauranga City Sharks (now Whalers), only have nine teams which range from under-5 to under-13 level, but a decade ago it was a gap in their senior side which presented Thompson with the chance to fall in love with rugby league.
The area might not have produced stars like it has in union or cricket but there have been some good players down there. Some probably didn't develop due to lack of coaching resources etc. The sport was doing really well down there in the early to mid 90's though; there were quite a lot of teams with multiple divisions.

The bit about the club only had certain grades was a problem back then to. We often had clubs missing from certain age groups.

Back then the Tauranga side was called the Warriors not the Sharks as listed in the article. There was a side called TWR Whalers which was based just outside of Mount Maunganui.

Funny story I used to play for a side with the nick name Raiders and our under 17s coach said we would be playing a new team called the TWR Raiders. All week we were hyped up cause there could only be one Raiders in a comp having two would be stupid.;) So play these guys and its an eventful game; anyway we win so we're proud cause we won the battle of the Raiders.:D We go into the club rooms and have our after match functions and before things kick off I look up at the wall of their club room and start chuckling to myself. My mate turns around and asks what so funny. I tell him to look at the wall as all of the plaques say Whalers and not Raiders. That leads to our whole team harassing our idiot coach who to his credit thought the motivation tactic worked.:mad: Anyway I think it confused the opposition with our guys yelling out we're the Raiders your not:confused: either that or they though we weren't the brightest bunch going around.:rolleyes:

Good to see someone from down there doing well in the NRL. Also good to hear he heads back and helps out down there.

He's been in fantastic form this year.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
It’s a big week for… Bodene Thompson
Richard Becht
Wed 13th April, 09:12PM

Bodene Thompson has more time to make up than most when the Vodafone Warriors take on the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at Westpac Stadium on Saturday (7.30pm kick-off).

The seventh-round contest will be just his fourth of the year after a disrupted offseason and an injury-enforced absence for the last three weeks.

The 27-year-old former Gold Coast and Wests Tigers back rower was unavailable for the Downer Auckland NRL Nines and the Vodafone Warriors’ two trials in February but was back on deck for the first-round encounter against his former Tigers side at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

Despite his limited build-up, Thompson was impressive in a 49-minute shift, scoring a try, making 65 metres from six runs plus 28 tackles with just one missed tackle.

He was used off the bench the first week but stepped back into his starting role the following week against Brisbane, playing the full 80 minutes and making 47 tackles with no misses as well as 80 metres from nine runs.

The Tauranga-born Thompson was quickly warming to his work and took both his intensity and output to another level in the tough third-round battle against Melbourne as he delivered a game-high 52 tackles – again without a miss – in another 80-minute effort.

He picked up a rib complaint, though, which put him back in the rehab group and disrupted the first-choice back row combination.

Now it’s back in harness, Thompson ready to take up his familiar role on the right edge with Simon Mannering returning to loose forward.

This will be Thompson’s first Vodafone Warriors appearance at Westpac Stadium – he missed last year’s fixture there against St George Illawarra – but he played at the venue in 2014 when he was in the Wests Tigers side beaten 42-18 by the Vodafone Warriors.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2016/04/13/it_s_a_big_week_for_.html

ramraider78

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2012
Auckland , New Zealand
High hopes for this guy this year. Good defender, Hard hitting, runs hard too. I hope we're able to keep him for years to come
I agree with you there, under rated when he came here, he was shining light during that bad run at the end of last season IMO When you watch him, he makes his tackles and put's the odd extra in there on the ground. I also hope the club keeps him around for the next few years barring any injuries he'll be an asset for the pack.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
I agree with you there, under rated when he came here, he was shining light during that bad run at the end of last season IMO When you watch him, he makes his tackles and put's the odd extra in there on the ground. I also hope the club keeps him around for the next few years barring any injuries he'll be an asset for the pack.
We've certainly missed him out there. He's only under rated by Warriors fans. Opposition teams know to run at him and take him out of the game, especially on the last tackle when they dont want him going for the charge down...

Reactions: Harlz and STEEDEN

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
He's been fantastic this season. Hurting the opposition on defence running hard on attack. I know he was doing that last year as well but last year it seemed he was getting worn out by the end of some games from being they main glue holding the right side together. Probably another plus with Ayshford out on that side helping with communication on defense and I'm guessing they spent some time playing along side each other at the Tigers.

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Congrats to Bo...

Baby steps for Warriors star
Friday, 27 May 2016, 1:57PM
bodene_thompson_baby_657.jpg

Bodene Thompson with his newborn son. Photo / Instagram

The Warriors haven't had much to smile about in recent weeks - but at least one player at the beleaguered NRL club has, with star second rower Bodene Thompson embracing fatherhood for the second time.

Twenty-seven-year-old Thompson has welcomed a new son, Hendrix, into the world. The wee fella weighed in at 7lb. 6oz.

A Warriors spokesperson told Spy: "Hendrix is a healthy baby and eats and sleeps all day."

When asked if there was any special significance behind choosing Hendrix, the spokesperson said: "No, it was just a name the parents liked."

Thompson has another son, Cordell, who lives in Christchurch. The pair spent precious time together when the Warriors travelled to the city two weeks ago for their NRL match against Penrith.

Thompson arrived at the Warriors from Sydney-based Wests Tigers last season, citing being closer to family as one of the biggest drivers for the move.

https://spy.nzherald.co.nz/spy-news/baby-steps-for-warriors-star/.V0fr-OXiIVI.facebook

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
Jason Bakuya seemed like a solid signing for us. He always seemed to in the right place and ran decent lines off Shaun Johnson but he just never seemed very effective.
When he swapped in Bodene he seemed like a very similar player but with better defence stats and his lines he ran of Shaun Johnson seemed to have actual impact.
This season he seems to have regressed back to playing like Bakuya. He seems to be playing like always just never actually being a threat on attack.

Reactions: BeastMode

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Jason Bakuya seemed like a solid signing for us. He always seemed to in the right place and ran decent lines off Shaun Johnson but he just never seemed very effective.
When he swapped in Bodene he seemed like a very similar player but with better defence stats and his lines he ran of Shaun Johnson seemed to have actual impact.
This season he seems to have regressed back to playing like Bakuya. He seems to be playing like always just never actually being a threat on attack.
He's a little small to be partnered with Shaun Johnson. When you've got a pussy with amazing agility as your 7 you really want a hulking beast smashing everything that comes near him. And those lazy hand offs would be great if it was someone like Pat Sipley hitting the line.

Thompson is an Octadecahedron peg in a hendecagon hole.

(That's cryptic for Thompson should be playing 18th man or left right our fyi)

Reactions: BeastMode

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015

Bakuya, Thompson - physically they arent outstanding. Like Gubb, I'd say even Gavet, where they differentiate themselves from the cattle is the intensity and energy they bring to the game. Without it, they are mud. So Thompson is mimud right now.

He needs to get on the pills or whatever it was he had when he first came here because he's nothing but bog average.

In fact bog average would be a compliment for him.

Hope he's reading this. Bog average mud my friend.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexM

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Congrats to Bo...

Baby steps for Warriors star
Friday, 27 May 2016, 1:57PM
bodene_thompson_baby_657.jpg

Bodene Thompson with his newborn son. Photo / Instagram

The Warriors haven't had much to smile about in recent weeks - but at least one player at the beleaguered NRL club has, with star second rower Bodene Thompson embracing fatherhood for the second time.

Twenty-seven-year-old Thompson has welcomed a new son, Hendrix, into the world. The wee fella weighed in at 7lb. 6oz.

A Warriors spokesperson told Spy: "Hendrix is a healthy baby and eats and sleeps all day."

When asked if there was any special significance behind choosing Hendrix, the spokesperson said: "No, it was just a name the parents liked."

Thompson has another son, Cordell, who lives in Christchurch. The pair spent precious time together when the Warriors travelled to the city two weeks ago for their NRL match against Penrith.

Thompson arrived at the Warriors from Sydney-based Wests Tigers last season, citing being closer to family as one of the biggest drivers for the move.

https://spy.nzherald.co.nz/spy-news/baby-steps-for-warriors-star/.V0fr-OXiIVI.facebook

Ah..... this explains everything.

Like Luke, he's been domesticated....

Happy for his personal life but still in the bog average category...

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Nothing to do with Jimi being the greatest guitarist of all time, even Clapton was jealous, just saying like, nice one Bodene.:)
Fair comment, but Bakuya has a premiership ring now

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 21, 2012
Thompson chose a lousy time to have a form slump. Your supposed to come to to form around contract renewal time.

That's really my question on Bodene. Some blokes play well when they want to earn a contract renewal or upgrade, some blokes don't cope with the uncertainty. He's gone from being a very effective player for us to being absolutely horrific. The Warriors have been completely sluggish in providing any certainty to these blokes. Yes, I'd be moving many of them on, but, there's just nothing coming from the Warriors to suggest they have any idea whatsoever on what they're doing. Like most things with this club, they are really ballsing this up badly.

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
That's really my question on Bodene. Some blokes play well when they want to earn a contract renewal or upgrade, some blokes don't cope with the uncertainty. He's gone from being a very effective player for us to being absolutely horrific. The Warriors have been completely sluggish in providing any certainty to these blokes. Yes, I'd be moving many of them on, but, there's just nothing coming from the Warriors to suggest they have any idea whatsoever on what they're doing. Like most things with this club, they are really ballsing this up badly.

What are you talking about The Warriors have offered him a contract and he wants to test the market???

• Haha
Reactions: Inruin

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings