Just a question, but did Toops ever have a crack at the centres for us?

So good to see him fulfill his potential after the shit he used to cop here as a young rookie, well done Bill.

This news should cheer Ata Hingano up too, look what you can achieve after the Raiders have ruined you.

Last edited:
Well done Billy. Nice to see some success after the torrid time he had here. I seem to recall he did play centre a couple of times but his defence was the same as on the wing. Could have been U20 though

Reactions: Worried2Death
TBF he was just disgraceful at defence while here. He got hooked during the 2013 preseason trial against the Panthers when Tyrone Peachey took him to school repeatedly. He never did recover after that and was dropped to NSW Cup by Matt Elliott. After his performance that day it was the only option. Elliott favoured players like Glen Fisiahii and Ngani Laumape over him though I do remember Tupou playing on Manu Vatuvei's wing when the big guy was injured.

Happy to see him go well these days but lets be honest, its only Super League. Even Konrad Hurrell is going to be a star over there...

Bill has retired effective immediately because of the knee injury he sustained last year and Manly have immediately released Jorge Taufua to replace him at Wakefield.

Tupou retires with immediate effect​

Screenshot 2022 12 07 42304 AM
Wakefield Trinity can confirm that Bill Tupou has retired from Rugby League with immediate effect.

The 32-year-old has been an outstanding servant to the club since joining midway through the 2015 season, making 126 appearances and scoring 40 tries.

Bill played a huge part in back-to-back fifth placed finishes in 2017 and 2018, whilst also making the Super League Dream Team in the latter season, alongside his ‘left-edge’ in Tom Johnstone and Matty Ashurst.

However, whilst enjoying a fine run of form in the 2021 season, Bill was sidelined for almost a year with a ruptured patella tendon.

Months of hard work and rehabilitation followed for Tupou and the former New Zealand international returned to play for the reserves back in May. Unfortunately, after a further issue and minor surgery, Bill has taken the decision to retire following medical advice.

Speaking on the news, Tupou said: “I’ve loved every minute of my time at this Club and we’ve had some brilliant memories along the way.

“Having joined in 2015, I never envisaged staying this long but I can truly say that my family and I are eternally grateful for the years we have spent in Wakefield and at this Club.

“I have enjoyed some special memories along the way that will stay with me for life and also shared the dressing room with some outstanding people who are true friends.

“Although I didn’t want to call it a day in this particular way, following medical advice, I felt that this was the right decision.

“To our supporters, my teammates, staff, my sponsor The Blakeley Family and everyone else associated with the Club, I would like to thank you all for being part of my amazing journey.”

Chief Executive, Michael Carter, has paid tribute to Bill and said: “Bill came to this Club at a difficult time and played his part in ensuring survival.

“He then turned into one of the most feared threequarters in the competition and made the Super League Dream Team.

“He has been an absolute pleasure to have at the Club and we all wish Bill and his family the very best for the future.”

Last edited by a moderator:
160. BILL TUPOU
Last update

Last time we checked up on Bill Tupou he had only just been released mid season from the Canberra Raiders to immediately take up a contract with Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.

Bill only just announced his retirement from the Wildcats in July this year after injury complications.

Will need a revisit soon. I can only guess he's still rehabilitating. Wont be surprised to see him get a role at the Wildcats...