General Benji Marshall

Jesbass_old

Yeah, Smith probably deserved a mention, I'll admit. It's pretty hard to fit everyone in. I didn't mean for my post to suggest that Smith didn't desrve it - moreso that the people saying that Gallen was hopeless were way off base.

WarriorDog_old

Source: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/6062112/Benji-Marshall-relieved-hell-year-nearly-over

Kiwis captain Benji Marshall has criticised the fishbowl-like existence of rugby league players and says he will be glad to turn his back on one of the hardest years of his life.

Marshall spent much of the 2011 NRL season battling to keep his focus on football as he fought assault allegations in court.

The 26-year-old was cleared of the charges and went on to play an integral role in getting the Wests Tigers to the semi-finals.

But the 5-1/2 months he spent under a cloud of doubt and speculation off the field - from early March to late August - took their toll.

''You have to pretend that nothing was going on and concentrate on playing,'' Marshall said.

''It was one of the hardest years that I've had away from playing - to concentrate on playing well.''

A 10-year veteran of the Tigers who considers himself adept at handling the media and public attention on his life, Marshall said the intense scrutiny under which football players operated was unfair.

''It's all right if you're a rock star to go out and snort cocaine and do whatever you want but for us we've got to be angels. You can't scratch yourself,'' he said while promoting his autobiography Benji Marshall: My Game, My Story.

Marshall was impressive during his court appearances in late August, remaining composed under intense police cross-examination. But even that took extraordinary effort, he said.

''As composed as I may have looked, on the inside I was shitting myself. It's out of my comfort zone, I'd never been to a court room, I didn't know what to expect.

''I had only seen what I'd seen on TV about court. It's a pretty daunting thing even for myself, but I had to be composed not only for myself but for my family too, you know. The day it was over I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulder.''

The episode had not made him resentful of the media or general public but he admitted to being hurt by the speculation surrounding the case.

''The whole process was daunting,'' he said.

''I tried to pretend it wasn't to you guys [the media] but all the people who know me closely knew it was hurting me.''

Marshall said he felt sorry for younger rugby league players who were just launching their careers.

''We're just people, we just want to play rugby league,'' he said. ''The things that come with it, obviously we've got to adapt to it, maybe we have to change. We don't want to change but a lot of the kids who are now coming through under-20s now, most people their age are out in [Kings] Cross partying and it gets to the stage where you can't do that.''

The five-eighth returned last week from the United Kingdom where New Zealand failed to reach the Four Nations final.

Even more painful was the Tigers two-point loss to the Warriors in the semi-finals.

''That probably was the hardest game to get over for me,'' he said.

''Because we had such a great squad and I thought we really had a chance of doing something special, to be leading that game by [eight points] and to let it slip in the last two minutes was pretty devastating and pretty hard to take.''

ToiletDuck_old

You could always move to Auckland Benji...not as fishbowl-ish for league players in the "City of Sails!" *Costo voice*

Jesbass_old

What a hopelessly written article! His name is actually spelt 'Benjy Marashall'.

Spence_old

That's gone seriously fast. Only played 155 games though, show's how often he gets injured, eh.

fanrrior_old

I forgot about the assault thing it feels like its almost been a year since it happened.... oh right

raypower_old

He's had a bad year? He should talk to Brett Stewart! Bretty copped all sorts of treatment from Gallop and he's had to do it all with diabetes.

Spence_old

He's had a bad year? He should talk to Brett Stewart! Bretty copped all sorts of treatment from Gallop and he's had to do it all with diabetes.

I love it when commentators talk about his diabetes. I can't remember who they were, but two commentators had about a 5 minute discussion talking about that topic during a game once. They started acting out how he'd prepare to go to a game. "Got my boots, check, socks, check, mouth guard, check, packet of lollies, check."

raypower_old

I love it when commentators talk about his diabetes. I can't remember who they were, but two commentators had about a 5 minute discussion talking about that topic during a game once. They started acting out how he'd prepare to go to a game. "Got my boots, check, socks, check, mouth guard, check, packet of lollies, check."

Pretty sure it was Ray Warren. I can't believe that they made such a deal of it is well. I'd be focusing on his crossed eyes and apparent lack of depth perception.

AC5_old

JORDAN MARSHALL, the younger brother of Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall, will debut for the club in Toyota Cup tomorrow night.
In what will be one of the most anticipated debuts for the competition, the 19-year-old will start off the bench for the Tigers against St George Illawarra at Jubilee Oval.
While coach Todd Payten said he could not guarantee Marshall would play big minutes tomorrow, he said the youngster was ready to make his mark in the competition this season.
Advertisement: Story continues below
''He'll play a big part for us this year,'' Payten said. While the club has been keen to see Marshall tip-toe through his development, Payten said it was also impossible not to notice some similarities.
''I can see a lot of similarities in them,'' he said. ''He's got great skills with his hands and he can read and identify numbers. I'm excited for him. I guess he's going to have this weight of expectations on him and that just comes with the territory. I don't think he really enjoys that so much.''
While the eldest Marshall debuted while still at Gold Coast nursery Keebra Park High School, his middle brother has endured a bumpier ride. He also attended Keebra Park, but moved back to Sydney after just a year because he was homesick. He played rugby union and touch football, before signing with his brother's club early last year.
At the time, he said: ''There's a lot of similarities there between both of us. I've got the flick, I've got the step too, but when it comes down to it, that's not everything in a game.
''People expected me, as Benji's brother, to be exactly like him, but growing up and maturing more, I've found out that I've just got to be myself and play my own game.''
When he joined the club, he trained with the greater Toyota Cup squad, but could not force his way into the team. This year he was earmarked to start the season but, after scoring three tries in a trial against a touring Hull KR Academy side, he injured his achilles during the warm-up before the clash with the Roosters. But Payten said he would definitely play against the Dragons.
''He'll be playing that utility role, anywhere in the backline,'' said Payten. ''He understands that I can't guarantee what sort of minutes he'll play, but he'll play some sort of role.''
That will be music to the ears of many Wests Tigers fans, who have been waiting for the arrival of the latest Marshall.
His best position appears to be fullback, although Payten's squad also includes a highly rated No. 1 in Kurtis Rowe.
Payten said 74kg Marshall could play on the wing, at five-eighth or in the centres. ''He's still pretty light - he's quite tall though; he's got a different frame to Benji,'' Payten said.
''He enjoys playing fullback; he's a very good broken-field runner. He's very quick on his feet - that's one of his similarities to Benji. He's going to be playing that utility role for us this week but he's got the potential to play anywhere in the backline.''

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...i-about-him-20120314-1v3om.html#ixzz1p8akiQSi