General Warriors SG Ball 2024

I thought it was the Bulldog.
That honestly doesn’t really mean anything.

Warriors could set up an elegance with Keebra park and set up an academy/training sessions there. It doesn’t mean shit if the players don’t want to move to NZ

Look at our SG ball and Harold Matt’s squads.

Jason Salalilo, Lennox Tuiloma, Jackson Stewart, Bishop Neal, Makia Taufa, Noah Harmer plus way more. All from Christchurch.

Any player in an under 18 or under 16 rep side from last year from Canterbury is in our system.

St Thomas seem to be big on league involvement at the moment. But I think we should be targeting the 1st XV dominant schools I.e. St Bedes, Christ College, Christchurch boys etc

The Manly one is even more wild. Tell me a single decent Auckland RL prospect they have pulled over recently

That honestly doesn’t really mean anything.

Warriors could set up an elegance with Keebra park and set up an academy/training sessions there. It doesn’t mean shit if the players don’t want to move to NZ

Look at our SG ball and Harold Matt’s squads.

Jason Salalilo, Lennox Tuiloma, Jackson Stewart, Bishop Neal, Makia Taufa, Noah Harmer plus way more. All from Christchurch.

Any player in an under 18 or under 16 rep side from last year from Canterbury is in our system.

St Thomas seem to be big on league involvement at the moment. But I think we should be targeting the 1st XV dominant schools I.e. St Bedes, Christ College, Christchurch boys etc

The Manly one is even more wild. Tell me a single decent Auckland RL prospect they have pulled over recently
Andrew Auimatagi, who coaches St Thomas' in Chch and in my opinion, is the reason for their recent success, has been given an official title with the Warriors.

1000002280.jpg
1000002281.jpg

Pakeha, and to a lesser extent Maori, tend to mature later than other Islanders, as such they tend to be overlooked in junior rep sides. This is also an issue in Union where by the time they have matured they are well behind in development in both codes. in Union to continue playing they play in the under 85kg compettiion, which is thriving. This is controversial, but if they play Auckland Premiere Club rugby I have been told they are targeted because of colour.

Yeah, no region is predominantly aligned to one club. Some of the ARL staff work also at the Warriors for instance but ARL players go to a lot of different NRL clubs. Agents organise a lot of it.
Exactly right. All those partnerships mean is that those clubs are going to pour resources into the area. For the most part that means they will show up in the off season once a year and host a coaching clinic and run a group of some 30 kids through some drills. There's an NRL rule that clubs have to help develop the game outside their catchment and teams are allocated an amount of money for this as part of the annual payment.

Warriors have done exactly this in the Pacific in Tonga and Samoa and as recently as last month in the Cook Islands. Whether clubs sign a player is simply a bonus. The Storm have had clinics in Wellington for over a decade and picked up NAS at one of them. The rest of the time they have simply been fulfilling their NRL obligation.

The only thing that the clubs may get out of the arrangement maybe a reduced transfer fee but there is definitely no way any NRL club has rights to any player outside their current system or even inside their catchment area. For the Warriors that means they can sign players in Auckland without paying a development release fee but they certainly have no 'first dibs' rights to any player in the Auckland area. Other clubs can sign who they want from Auckland but have to pay the junior club a transfer fee. The only time a 'first dibs' clause kicks in is when the junior is already signed to the club. This was to protect other clubs poaching talent that clubs had developed for years. With the U20s any players that a club wanted from their own system the players were automatically re-signed. If another club wanted a player from your system you had to release them.

Agents, scouts and managers will always be the king playmakers...

Current Canterbury players in our age grade sides below:

St Thomas’ quartet Micah Sula, Bishop Neal, Isaiah Savea (all Hornby) and Lennox Tuiloma (Linwood), who represented Canterbury 16s together in 2023, are in the Warriors’ Harold Matts team. Five players from last year’s Canterbury 18s squad, Hornby’s Noah Harmer-Campbell, Meihana Pauling and Jackson Stewart, and Papanui’s Jason Salalilo and Ezekiel Faga-Ieti, will help drive the Warriors’ SG Ball season; all five were part of St Thomas’ NZSST victory and were named in the New Zealand Secondary Schools Boys squad (as was Tuiloma), while Harmer-Campbell was hooker for the South Island Scorpions 20s team that reached the NZRL Ruben Wiki Cup final.

Back