Height (cm)
188 cm
Weight (kg)
100 kg
Position/s
  1. Second Row
Signed From
Randwick Kingfishers
The fact that you say you watched all the televised games makes your assessment of these guys even more confusing to me, obviously we're seeing different things.
This is what I’m thinking.

Like fair play if you think Laban will be the better player, no one knows how these things will turn out.

But to then say it’s because he’s faster, has a better step and doesnt rely on his size as much as Halasima does etc (among other confusing statements). Thats baffling to me and just blatantly obvious that person hasn’t watched much of either player if I’m honest.

Jacob and Zyon Maiu’u walked out of school and out of the family home to live in hotels in Aus for two years playing various grades for a club that didn't want any Warriors players except for the ones that they could poach. Zyon Maiu’u had his pick of rugby and league clubs to go to but chose to do the hard yards with the Warriors. He'd have debuted a year ago if he'd signed anywhere else. Fans see a power player that made a mistake in a trial. I saw a teenager on the athletics track that knew that he was too big to win any races but wanted to get faster so he'd be better at league and put years of sprint training in from a very young age. These boys have paid their dues.
If I was 18/19 living in a hotel playing league 4 cash wouldn't be the worst thing if you enjoy heaps of pussy?

About Jacob:

I summed him up as being like Ali in a bigger body.

Watch the late footwork, it is subtle, fend, speed relative to size, passing (we saw all three on debut in the NRL, a step and pass.

But what I really want to draw attention to, is his ball awareness, his hand eye (said this in the NSW cup thread or here, that I have seen him plucking balls out of the air like an outside back - more than once - no flukes).

Jacob has not just appeared out of nowhere, his talent and potential has been staring us in the face for sometime (and clearly NRL coaching staff have promoted him because of it).

For oldschool tragics like me, what really floats ya boat is workrate, and Jacob is the hardest worker this year, loose forwards live and die by their workrate and ability to build stamina, those that can't, end up bench impact short spell ring ins that pose selection limits on a coaches choices based off not being good injury cover etc.

View: https://youtu.be/4Sx9lPeO_0k?si=P1mvo5-8_4iJ4nmK

Last edited:
If I was 18/19 living in a hotel playing league 4 cash wouldn't be the worst thing if you enjoy heaps of pussy?
Yeah I would've too but it depends on the player. Jacob had come to Kelston Boys from Australia which is how he avoided the 2 year stand down from 1A rugby but it was Zyon Maiu’u's first time out of home. Jacob was also living with the Zyon Maiu’u family before they both headed over. Bizarre times really, it would've been tough being any of the Warriors players and not knowing when you would get back home. The novelty of hotel living would wear off quickly but it was the stalled development with the Redcliffe arrangement that held them all back. It was nobodies' fault, every teenager in every club trying to make grade would've faced similar challenges and I reckon there would've been a plenty who missed their shot at playing 1st grade altogether thanks to COVID.

Where was the pussy coming from? Nathan Cleary's flat?

Last edited:
Having learned my lesson and read complaints about the thread going off topic I won't respond to argumentative posts about this player over that (apologies for that, I started the problem, I have a history, same argument with the same poster, last year it was over Tom Ale who I said was not the next superstar).

You just end up with people going around in circles and claiming you don't watch games etc (hey I dunno where that comes from, I am one of the people that is there live in the NSW cup threads for the Warriors and have been for years of these forums-which gets me pissed off and arguing people, I need snap out of it and agree to disagree).

Anywho, this is not confessional.

So sorry about the preamble.

About Jacob:

Watch the late footwork, it is subtle, fend, speed relative to size, passing (we saw all three on debut in the NRL, a step and pass.

But what I really want to draw attention to, is his ball awareness, his hand eye (said this in the NSW cup thread or here, that I have seen him plucking balls out of the air like an outside back - more than once - no flukes).

Jacob has not just appeared out of nowhere, his talent and potential has been staring us in the face for sometime (and clearly NRL coaching staff have promoted him because of it).

For oldschool tragics like me, what really floats ya boat is workrate, and Jacob is the hardest worker this year, loose forwards live and die by their workrate and ability to build stamina, those that can't, end up bench impact short spell ring ins that pose selection limits on a coaches choices based off not being good injury cover etc.

I feel sorry for those little kids playing against him.
👯‍♂️

Having learned my lesson and read complaints about the thread going off topic I won't respond to argumentative posts about this player over that (apologies for that, I started the problem, I have a history, same argument with the same poster, last year it was over Tom Ale who I said was not the next superstar).

You just end up with people going around in circles and claiming you don't watch games etc (hey I dunno where that comes from, I am one of the people that is there live in the NSW cup threads for the Warriors and have been for years of these forums-which gets me pissed off and arguing people, I need snap out of it and agree to disagree).

About Jacob:

lol no one was arguing Tom Ale was a going to be a superstar, I was disagreeing with you calling him a chubby obese plodder that had no future in first grade

lol no one was arguing Tom Ale was a going to be a superstar, I was disagreeing with you calling him a chubby obese plodder that had no future in first grade
Perhaps a debate thread might have value where we divvy into teams of three with an agreed topic and rules like proper debating.

Then we could have a thread such as

"Who has the highest ceiling for their rugby league career? Laban, Zyon Maiu’u or Halasima."

Affirmative team : three forum members
Negative team: three different members

It might help tidy up the forum and give air time for those that enjoy a bit of arguing with rules and objectives

About Jacob:

I Always like reading your posts about the game and your knowledge is awesome, but with the young players probably pays to not be too critical.

Your thoughts on Laban so far bro?
I thought his debut was solid, bit like Ali, looked very confident for a young player.

I wonder what Webster said to him about the side step and pass he pulled? often times Warriors coaches want young players to show they can follow instructions and stick to the script.

As you know bro, lots of debutantes over the years have gone out there and done offloads that lost the ball and the momentum (lasting memories of Agnatius Paasi on debut, offloads vs Broncos I think...never seen in FG again till leaves the club).

My own expectations with debutantes is conservative, I just want them to go out there and hold the ball, stay alive and awake in defence.....and that is it.

If Laban plays this week, I just hope for him, the same that I wish for all, that he does not screw it up by either too much adrenaline or not enough....

In regards to Tom Ale I think you were right about him to be honest, he is coming along nicely this year.

View: https://youtu.be/4Sx9lPeO_0k?si=2TxQApesduNjP6nU

Love that fend - big man with a fend is so hard to stop
Nice speed - a few runaway clips
Lovely hands - how many high balls did he catch??
Runs into holes

But if he’s gonna be ala SBW - needs the offload and also no clips destroying anyone in tackles or chasing down the clowns

Thankfully he’s probably got another 15 years in his career to develop the remaining pieces.

Exciting.

CG better start saving up $$$$ if he wants to keep all this talent.

When these kids turn 21, maybe Webby can weave his magic and take them all to a pub for a beer and chat. I heard from Ford and Capewell that’s his secret charm. 😉

The talent on our books right now is amazing. Unfortunately the pouchers will come so I hope we keep who we want.

View: https://youtu.be/4Sx9lPeO_0k?si=2TxQApesduNjP6nU

Love that fend - big man with a fend is so hard to stop
Nice speed - a few runaway clips
Lovely hands - how many high balls did he catch??
Runs into holes

But if he’s gonna be ala SBW - needs the offload and also no clips destroying anyone in tackles or chasing down the clowns

Thankfully he’s probably got another 15 years in his career to develop the remaining pieces.

Exciting.

CG better start saving up $$$$ if he wants to keep all this talent.

When these kids turn 21, maybe Webby can weave his magic and take them all to a pub for a beer and chat. I heard from Ford and Capewell that’s his secret charm. 😉

The talent on our books right now is amazing. Unfortunately the pouchers will come so I hope we keep who we want.

Comparisons to past players is interesting and I tried with Laban but so far cannot come up with anyone.

People have said SK and I read your SBW gauge....gee I dunno....if he was even half the player of those two....two of the greatest NZ forwards to play the game....I would be rapt....at the moment I don't think he is really a future clone of either.

Kearney was tough. Had a bit of Mongrel, and enforcer, so for mine that rules Jacob out. Just not from the same mold. But hey that could change.

Sonny Bill was standoff in a Forwards body, unlikely to be matched or seen again in Rugby league...although never say never.

The big hits are not coached anymore either, they are coached away from, no more shoulder charges either. The game is about speed.

Your thoughts on Laban so far bro?
I thought his debut was solid, bit like Ali, looked very confident for a young player.

I wonder what Webster said to him about the side step and pass he pulled? often times Warriors coaches want young players to show they can follow instructions and stick to the script.

As you know bro, lots of debutantes over the years have gone out there and done offloads that lost the ball and the momentum (lasting memories of Agnatius Paasi on debut, offloads vs Broncos I think...never seen in FG again till leaves the club).

My own expectations with debutantes is conservative, I just want them to go out there and hold the ball, stay alive and awake in defence.....and that is it.

If Laban plays this week, I just hope for him, the same that I wish for all, that he does not screw it up by either too much adrenaline or not enough....

In regards to Tom Ale I think you were right about him to be honest, he is coming along nicely this year.
Win some, lose some. I’ll give you your credit for picking Harry Durbin > Ben Peni last year watching SG ball. Certainly looks the way it’s heading this year. Was wrong on that one.

I like Laban and think he has a lot of potential. He has drastically improved his explosiveness over the offseason. Sometimes last year he looked extremely lethargic and slow. But whenever you have a player have late growth spurt to 6’4 ish then it raises their ceiling.

I still think he’s more a hole runner and crash ball player (which is still important) whereas I think Halasima and Sifakula have potential to make plays for others with the step/speed/passing game

At the end of the day you can’t teach Laban’s frame which is his selling point at the moment. Looks to have an extremely high work rate as well.

Last edited:
Back