SouthernWorrier

Warriors Bench Player
Aug 4, 2020
NRL.com reads like it’s more of a depth signing which a little odd for a fairly established first grader .... Wonder if he’s been told he was just too far down the pecking order at Souths next year or not part of their long term plans? like that he has covered at half and centre in the past ... not that I want him too but it shows he has good ball skills and speed, so it will give us another variation in the forward rotation and a bit of strike power.

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
I'm sure that Sironens signing means there is no place for Jazz moving forward, potentially Lawton as well.

Jazz was Kearneys darling, but I suspect Brown doesn't see the same appeal.

Brown is going to be walking into almost his own squad fairly quickly... This is nuts.

I know the proof will be in the performances, but POS is paying off massively.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Nobody saw this coming. In the rabbitohs forum they're gutted losing him. It's puzzling because they're saying he just resigned with them a few weeks ago.. There must've been some kind of swap deal. What do you guys think??
On the Rabbitohs forum they are questioning whether there's any plan in recruitment. I reckon it will speak volumes if another wayne bennett coached teams roster turns to shit and should give anybody worried about Nathan Brown confidence as he inherited one of those teams at the knights.

Selector

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 2, 2015
Some more info regarding Bayley Sironen's release from Souths. He only just re-signed with them over 2 months ago however, it was only until the end of the next season, obvioulsy the club offered him a 3 year deal which offerred him greater long term security, something Souths was unwilling to match. Hence his decision to move to the club.

Some other observations or opinons in regards to the rest of the squad for next year, expect Bunty Afoa to move to another club most likely the Super League sometime during next season. Lack of game time being the main reason for his decison to leave. The club will also look to move on Frei and Curran if they can. If any of these players leave before the season begins, expect the club to move for Albert Hopate if he is still available. POS is a big fan of his.

in regards to Jazz and Tohu Harris, don't expect Jazz to be here after next season, he will be looking for an increase to his current salary, the club won't be willing or will be unable to match his salary demands, The club views Tohu Harris as the greater priority re-signing between the two and would prefer to let Jazz go before they let Tohu Harris go.I expect he will attract interest from the Cowboys, Tigers & Bulldogs. Sironen's signing is in anticipation of Jazz leaving

Last edited:

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
How cool to have a Sironen at the club- fark his old man was a beast!
Bayley goes alright too tho- I’m a fan- bit of a slow burner but really grabbed his opportunity this year and his best is still in front of him.
Wouldn’t waste too much time wondering where to fit him in- highly unlikely we start the year with a fully fit forward pack anyway.
He’ll be in the 17 somewhere.

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
Surprised as anyone about the Siro signing, but depth only I would have thought? I get the surname/bloodline is a cracker but can’t say I’ve been blown away by Curtis or Bayley yet.

That said another good solid depth signing - POS is proving to be impressive and Kearney may have been an even bigger handbrake than first thought.

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not? It is a 30 second vid with 2 passes? Did I get the wrong link?
Lol, I was wondering the same thing, the passes were standard catch n pass stuff too, I was happy to see them though coz the first 3 vidz were of him busting through crap defence to score so thought he might hve white line fever.

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2013
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not? It is a 30 second vid with 2 passes? Did I get the wrong link?
What the video shows is he's a good ball player and can run. Would be a perfect 13 in the 90s. Tall and 95 kgs is Hugh McGahan-like.

He likes to set up plays and can run. He's nit slow like our usual template. As Nathan Brown said he brings something different to the team dynamics. Katoa-Harris-Ben Murdoch-Masila then Sironen off the bench to open the game up. Sounds good to me. Murchie would be pushing him for his spot or vice versa. Good competition.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland

EnPL3qRUYAIYEZ9.jpg

Sironen joins Vodafone Warriors

Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Fri 20 Nov 2020, 02:35 PM

One of rugby league’s most famous names is set to link with the Vodafone Warriors after confirmation South Sydney back rower Bayley Sironen has agreed terms for a three-year contract from next season.

The 23-year-old is the son of the legendary Paul Sironen and younger brother of Manly Warringah’s Curtis Sironen.

After five games in his first two NRL seasons, Sironen established himself as a frontline player for the Rabbitohs this year appearing in 19 games to lift his career tally to 24.

“We have had our eyes on Bayley for some time but we didn’t have the positions available at the time,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

“Fortunately he became available now. (Head coach) Nathan (Brown) was keen to add a point of difference to our squad to balance our key signings and Bayley will bring that.

“He comes from one of the game’s greatest families and will add some invaluable footy IQ to our squad.”

O’Sullivan said the Vodafone Warriors were grateful to South Sydney CEO Blake Solly, head coach Wayne Bennett and football manager Mark Ellison for their handling of Sironen’s release.

“I was really keen to add an edge/middle forward to our roster for 2021 and Bayley fits the bill,” said new Vodafone Warriors head coach Nathan Brown.

“He was able to fill in at five-eighth and centre as well as the back row in 2020 so he adds the versatility, skill and defensive capabilities that we were looking for.

“His addition puts pressure on all our forwards for positions and adds invaluable depth of quality in our back row.”

The 186cm, 101kg Sironen made his NRL debut with the Wests Tigers in 2017 but played just one more NRL match for the club before linking with South Sydney in 2019.

He becomes the seventh new addition to the Vodafone Warriors’ 2021 squad following the signings of Ben Murdoch-Masila (Warrington), Kane Evans (Parramatta), Euan Aitken (St George Illawarra), Addin Fonua-Blake (Manly Warringah), Sean O’Sullivan (Brisbane) and Marcelo Montoya (Canterbury Bankstown).

BAYLEY SIRONEN
Date of birth: December 23, 1996
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Junior Club: Holy Cross Rhinos
Position: Second row/loose forward
Height: 186cm
Weight: 101kg
NRL Debut: Wests Tigers v North Queensland, Campbelltown Sports Stadium, August 25, 2017 (Round 25)
NRL Career: Wests Tigers (2017-2018), South Sydney (2019-2020)
NRL Appearances: 24 appearances
Wests Tigers: 2 appearances (2017)
South Sydney: 22 appearances (2019-2020)
NRL Points: 8 (2 tries)
Representative: New South Wales Under-20s (2016), Australian Schoolboys (2014)

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Centre? Hiku has only 1 year remaining ...

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings