• Tar and feather them!

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
Not sure if this is the right thread but NRL 360 was interesting last night with V'Landys talking at length about taking Gould on board for specific projects. One he mentioned was that NZ & PI pathways need to be sorted out. I'll add that Buzz Rothfield was not impressed & rightly imo opinion said that having Gould anywhere within the NRL HQ would be a conflict of interest. Any one else see it?
So perhaps Mohawk & Sundance are just treading water atm regarding the coach/ recruitment positions awaiting further info from V'Landys. I got the feeling that guy has some plans up his sleeve which will affect us majorly.

danyooll

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 17, 2014
Where does everyone see the warriors heading towards the next five years under AUTEX? With this rebuild looming, is there any reason to be optimistic?

Reactions: bruce

Blindside

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2012
Autex are just the source of the finance.
Mohawk and the Warriors board, Rob Croot, Andrew Cunningham, Cameron George & Marcel van Vliet, don't have a lot (if any) league experience.
And it shows.
More shoot from the lip and hope.
Still, while Boy George's phone runs hot...............................

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
That's an impossible one to answer.

They are uprooting the club ATM, and it's a work in progress. They are making tough decisions, and on the face of it is largely right (ditching Kearney and his Moses boys). Ditching NSW Cup for a QLD merger team sounds questionable, but I think if they keep the SG ball side, that will be key. The old pathway produced naf all NRL talent over the past 5-10 years.

Behind closed doors there is only speculation to date. It's easy to be doom and gloom considering the hardship the side is facing on the field and stuck in Australia, but IMO they have made some tough, but right calls. They will spend some money on the club, which has been missing for years.

We're paying for the Kearney reign, even the Matt Elliott and Bluey days. Changing shit up had to happen. Would expect Cameron George to be moved on when the time suits.

Geoff Public

It's our year, yeah, yeah.
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland
Not sure if this is the right thread but NRL 360 was interesting last night with V'Landys talking at length about taking Gould on board for specific projects. One he mentioned was that NZ & PI pathways need to be sorted out. I'll add that Buzz Rothfield was not impressed & rightly imo opinion said that having Gould anywhere within the NRL HQ would be a conflict of interest. Any one else see it?
So perhaps Mohawk & Sundance are just treading water atm regarding the coach/ recruitment positions awaiting further info from V'Landys. I got the feeling that guy has some plans up his sleeve which will affect us majorly.
Imo the pathways Gould will look at will be primarily for Sydney teams.
League seems to be a game Australians are watching, rather than playing.
Gould’s appointment will make him an even brighter, shinier object for his media employers.
As Buzz works for the opposition I would have to consider what he says even longer than normal before giving it any credibility.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Robbie mears seemed to think we were after the same deal the Titans got

Reactions: Johnnyray

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018

The problem with having Gus involved is those new pathways will lead directly to where he wants them to - ie not us.

NZ provides around a quarter of NRL players and yet NSWRL and QLDRL get funded while the NZRL sit there looking at an annually empty bank account.

Absolutely more should be done for the NZRL to ensure pathways are stronger, even if that means the NRL takes some control over the pathways.

It won't guarantee we get all the best players but hopefully the ones we do get come through at a higher standard earlier in their careers.

As for Autex/Mohawk, willing to give it time. See what we're actually looking like heading into next season. Clearly we're tearing the club apart with a view to rebuild. Concerned we're not hiring any qualified builders to do that rebuild, but we'll see nonetheless.

ja_weez

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2018
Sorry to add to everyone's misery after that dreadful performance but it's worth remembering that things are unlikely to improve any time soon, no matter who they appoint as the next coach.

Really, the club is paying the price of ownership decisions and lack of funding for almost a decade. And the current regime and CEO apparently have no real knowledge of pro sport, NRL policies or protocols. E.g: how to deal with people inside or outside the club who really matter.

Further, it's become almost impossible to recruit well from Oz (and I'm hearing that from someone who was very well placed within the club). To compound things, the lack of exciting young Kiwi talent at the Warriors is predominantly due to Watson's lack of funding and interest in youth development. Evidently, the current Warriors owners and CEO think the NZRL should find, fund and develop future Warriors. The problem is that the NZRL are penniless.

The only thing that can give them a short term win is appointing a coach of the highest order. But that won't happen.

The only long term success would likely be NRL takeover and funding for 3-5 years, as per the Titans.
Was this the one?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
didn’t the NRL take over the Titans licence and management of the club to stop it going belly up?

not exactly a smart business plan or something to be aiming for!
The NRL have already given warning to clubs that the next one to go under will be allowed to do so and their licence will be onsold.

The Warriors needn't worry. Someone will buy them as a vanity project. $30 million is change for some. I just worked on a $30 million 'bach' up past Matakana.

The club break even at the very least. We'll survive with or without AUTEX...

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings