General Aussie NRL clubs on hunt for top NZ rookie

Beeteejay_old

One of the Warriors top young prospects looks set to exit the club.

Under-20s fullback Omar Slaimankhel is being heavily courted by two Australian NRL clubs, one of which is preparing to offer him a large first-grade deal.

Though no contracts have been tabled as yet for the Pakistan-born star, the Sunday Star-Times understands the Rabbitohs are on the verge of securing the services of Slaimankhel, who is off-contract at the end of this year.

Slaimankhel, the scorer of 44 tries in 44 Toyota Cup appearances, finds his path to the first-grade team blocked by Kevin Locke and Glen Fisiiahi.

The long-term contracts of Bill Tupou and club icon Manu Vatuvei prevent a move to the wing for the 20-year-old as well.

Slaimankhel's future looks set to be resolved in the next fortnight, with his agent, Simon Mammino, confirming he will meet with Warriors officials next week.

"There is strong interest from Australia, from two clubs, but we haven't sat down and seriously nutted out anything with the Warriors. So until that process starts, we aren't in any position to make any decision with Omar yet," Mammino said.

He said the Junior Kiwis fullback was keen to remain in Auckland, but prepared to move for the opportunity of first-grade football.

"His preference is to stay at the Warriors, but he has got to look at what is the best pathway for him and opportunity to play first grade," he said.

"That is the decision that every young footballer has to make. You've got to balance pathways and opportunities, and what the club thinks of each individual player. You've got to balance that with where that best suits him, [and] with his family.

For him to leave Auckland would be a big decision but in saying that, it's professional football. He's very professional and he'll look at all options very thoroughly." A mid-season release from the Warriors was "possible but unlikely" according to Mammino, and Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah confirmed yesterday no request had been made.

"He's still on our radar for next year and I suspect there is a bit of interest from some other clubs," he said. "We'll be talking to him soon and he's certainly playing well enough to be under consideration at the moment." Highly regarded at Mt Smart Stadium, Slaimankhel, an Afghani refugee, moved to Auckland with his family aged three.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/6867561/Aussie-NRL-clubs-on-hunt-for-top-NZ-rookie

Xt1ncT_old

This would be gutting.

But being third choice FB really is no choice.

Wouldn't blame him at all if he were to move on.

Can't keep everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Est95_old

Good on him, he cant stick around to be behind Locke, Fish, Ropati, Manu, and Tupou.

Magic Stick_old

I would of taken Omar over Tupou. Omar can still win a wing spot.The kid is gona be a star.Warrriors probaly wont give him enough money thou

David James_old

I would have liked to see him tried on the wing in first grade before we say goodbye. :-/

Warrior Nation_old

I wish Omar all the best if he leaves the club, definitely an exciting prospect & gutted if he does go. I would have picked him on the wing in first grade

sup42_old

No surprise.

Three full backs is one too many, playing Ropati at full back is four too many.

The Club would have seen this coming when they signed Fisiahi on a long term...

The lack of super star signings suggests the club believe they will produce their own.

It's a gamble letting Omar go untested at NRL level when Fisiahi has some question marks over his head.

Begs the Question.....why didn't Omar's manager make a case for him as soon as Locke went down ?

Because if he flopped it drops his value.

You could flip that argument on its head from the Clubs point of view i.e Omar proves his worth = bigger $$$ when negotiations start.....

Its all business