General Auckland Waterfront Stadium

Reaction score

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
You need to have a perfect conversation with the Ukraine PM if you wanta quid pro quo.

Just make sure no Crazy Democrats like Pelosi find out!

Still can't see a stadium being built. It'd be far too big for the Warriors, etc even if it was. I think the "new, wide living spaces" concept will probably win the day. Best solution - smarten up The Smart. Good size, pretty good location, virtually rectangular (obviously you can't kill off the northern end curve because of concerts, etc).

No need to thank me.
It's the last chance to get a stadium downtown and I think there will be a lot of support for it. Even those with a vested interested in supporting Eden Park know it is fucked. Wide living spaces are great from an urban planners point of view but someone has to pay for them including the lost opportunity. Shane Jones will get behind it, just the thing to package it up with the new Northland port improvements and all that infrastructure. Fuck all that tree planting.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Shane Jones will get behind it, just the thing to package it up with the new Northland port improvements and all that infrastructure. Fuck all that tree planting.
Shane Jones is just like Winston, an A grade farkwit. He is all bullshit and when his party gets the arse at the next election his ideas will go with him.

Michael Barnett was on TV yesterday about the port issue. He said a working party a couple of years ago rated it 12th out of 14 options. Admittedly he is speaking for Auckland businesses but some brief comments made sense. For example (because of the rail issue) the freight would be coming by road to Auckland. I think I recall Tauranga's rail connections meant the Mount was a better option.

I also remember one option was the Manukau...FFS. I can just imagine container boats going aground at the heads.

My guess is that if the Northland rail line had been properly planned and maintained Northland would have been a much more viable option. I think the cost now would be massive,not only because of the Waitakere tunnel but all the land that would need to be grabbed between Helensville and downtown.

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So did Carlaw Park. The trains used to stop on the line to watch big tests.
CP had some history. I saw some good games there as a kid. And you obviously saw more. But it was a shithole. And Eden Park has way more history and is structurally sound for footy. Getting there isn't so hard either. The emptiness in small games and the residents' hatred are the big factors against it. The only reason it's still used is because Auckland doesn't have an alternative yet and cricket is slowing up the process by digging in their heels. Once Western Springs get converted cricket are gone. Then rahrahs will be waiting for a new stadium somewhere.

So I guess the big door stopper atm is the waterfront stadium. And council clearly are delaying that for as long as possible. Their excuses about the consortium needing to fund the proposal is all shit. That was never an issue. It's corporate speak for "this is a political hot potatoe for us. We'll leave it for the next administration to deal with".

Reaction score

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Shane Jones is just like Winston, an A grade farkwit. He is all bullshit and when his party gets the arse at the next election his ideas will go with him.

Michael Barnett was on TV yesterday about the port issue. He said a working party a couple of years ago rated it 12th out of 14 options. Admittedly he is speaking for Auckland businesses but some brief comments made sense. For example (because of the rail issue) the freight would be coming by road to Auckland. I think I recall Tauranga's rail connections meant the Mount was a better option.

I also remember one option was the Manukau...FFS. I can just imagine container boats going aground at the heads.

My guess is that if the Northland rail line had been properly planned and maintained Northland would have been a much more viable option. I think the cost now would be massive,not only because of the Waitakere tunnel but all the land that would need to be grabbed between Helensville and downtown.
I'm not a Shane Jones fan, however, I do support some of the stuff he is saying and doing lately. His survival will hinge on getting the Port heading north and what happens at the other end. My pick it will be an election issue, massive infrastructure spend, jobs, regional development, waterfront development, biggest thing to hit Auckland for decades and it will be Labours jewel.
As for Michael Barnett. What has he done for Auckland business? The Albert St businesses might have a view on that. He is the Phil Goff of local politics. Been around a long time and done fuck all.
The railway is already there in some capacity. It has had a funding boost just the other day to attend to long overdue maintenance ( thanks Shane ). Rail will be an integral part of the new Port.
Tauranga is bulging at the seams and unlikely to be able to handle Aucklands cargo without massive extension and more pressure on roads.
Manukau is out, too shallow.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
But it was a shithole
Carlaw Park was not a shithole. It went into disrepair when the Warriors went to MSS, but it was not a shithole.

Eden Park has way more history and is structurally sound for footy
Bullshit, it is as much a swamp as Carlaw Park used to be. Apart from the future trains (2023???) it isn't easy to get to and there is nothing to do for those who arrive early or leave late. It is a shithole, that is official, as for history, Carlaw has way more history. It just depends on what history one respects.
As for Michael Barnett. What has he done for Auckland business? The Albert St businesses might have a view on that. He is the Phil Goff of local politics. Been around a long time and done fuck all.
Good description. I wasn't quoting his opinion, I was quoting the report he relied on. I recall decades ago a major NZ retailer bought land near Wellsford in preparation for them upgrading the rail link between Marsden Point and Auckland. It never happened . Why? Because they would spend the money clearing way for rail lines through west Auckland, nlr the Waitakere rail tunnel. So I agree Marsden point is the place to go, but the expense because of the delay will be massive and that will be what holds it up.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
Carlaw Park was not a shithole. It went into disrepair when the Warriors went to MSS, but it was not a shithole.

Bullshit, it is as much a swamp as Carlaw Park used to be. Apart from the future trains (2023???) it isn't easy to get to and there is nothing to do for those who arrive early or leave late. It is a shithole, that is official, as for history, Carlaw has way more history. It just depends on what history one respects.

Good description. I wasn't quoting his opinion, I was quoting the report he relied on. I recall decades ago a major NZ retailer bought land near Wellsford in preparation for them upgrading the rail link between Marsden Point and Auckland. It never happened . Why? Because they would spend the money clearing way for rail lines through west Auckland, nlr the Waitakere rail tunnel. So I agree Marsden point is the place to go, but the expense because of the delay will be massive and that will be what holds it up.
i disagree, Carlaw Park was a shit hole. It was more than going into disrepair before the warriors arrived. I may have only gone there once to watch a game, but it was before the arrival of the warriors and it was shit then. Never went back.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
i disagree, Carlaw Park was a shit hole. It was more than going into disrepair before the warriors arrived. I may have only gone there once to watch a game, but it was before the arrival of the warriors and it was shit then. Never went back.
Hi Welly ;) ;)

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

Mate you defo have an oversized love for Carlaw. You're in denial. Even in it's heyday it was a muddy swamp. You can harp on about Eden Park but it's not even remotely similar. The shape of the field is correct for rugby. Players don't complain about the surface. The ABs record there is nothing short of phenomenal. The amount of memorable rugby games played there is high. I didn't want to go there for Warriors matches but I couldn't complain about how fast I got there by train. I know walking across the road can be a challenge for some people.

The only complaint I have is how empty and isolated it feels with 12k or less people. It's a good national stadium for big games, but the community apparently hate the noise which is 2 strikes against it.

It's obvious you're irrationally fond of your Carlaw memories. Fair enough they sound like cool times. I have some good ones too of Kiwis v Aussie and Auckland v Aussie, North Sydney, Balmain etc. But to shit on the truth is just a waste of space. Having houses right beside was kinda cool, but the ground was wooden pickets around a mud hole. That's a fact.

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm not a Shane Jones fan, however, I do support some of the stuff he is saying and doing lately. His survival will hinge on getting the Port heading north and what happens at the other end. My pick it will be an election issue, massive infrastructure spend, jobs, regional development, waterfront development, biggest thing to hit Auckland for decades and it will be Labours jewel.
The railway is already there in some capacity. It has had a funding boost just the other day to attend to long overdue maintenance ( thanks Shane ). Rail will be an integral part of the new Port.
Tauranga is bulging at the seams and unlikely to be able to handle Aucklands cargo without massive extension and more pressure on roads.
Manukau is out, too shallow.
Michael Barnett is not a decision-maker. It's not his role. The chamber of commerce is supposed to protect the nation's economic interests. Barnett is just a figurehead who does the keynote speaker circuit at 50k and a lavish feed per gig.

Reaction score

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Michael Barnett is not a decision-maker. It's not his role. The chamber of commerce is supposed to protect the nation's economic interests. Barnett is just a figurehead who does the keynote speaker circuit at 50k and a lavish feed per gig.
Thats right, I would call him a lobbyist. Currently we have businesses going down the gurgler on Albert St, Queen St awash with homeless and a CBD generally that has lost its attraction.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
It's obvious you're irrationally fond of your Carlaw memories.
Based on that there are many thousands of irrational people around :rolleyes: ...and prior to the relaying of the turf Eden Park was pretty wet as well. Have you ever been on it in winter? Carlaw Park got bad raps because internationals were always played in the wettest months, when it was a bog hole. George Rainey spent a bit of money on the surface though and it did improve.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Wayne Brown interview: Why the Ports of Auckland has to move

Wayne Brown is not a farkwit and he is saying the ports have to move north. He says they have to upgrade the rail link to do it though. Heuyzeuss that will be a major project, but the way he explains it is the only way to go. He reckons it will save having to build another harbour crossing. Now some bastard is talking real sense. Maybe there is a chance for Carlaw Park after all.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like a majority of sensible people are calling for the Port to be moved to Whangarei. I wonder where the money is coming from? It will need a massive rail tunnel, and even more land between Helensville and South Auckland to build the extra tracks. From what I understand the investment in new freight tracks will be so much it would only be a coincidence if they followed the same route as the present commuter tracks. However if it saves them building a new harbour crossing they just might do it. It should happen just in time for the new century.

Reaction score
Swanley

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Outside you and the RSA I can't think of anyone..
Me! Carlaw Park was and is, in a perfect location....plus I have fond memories of the place!

They should sell Eden park for Millions and build houses on it.

Use the money to completely re-do Carlaw Park or build a waterfront stadium.

Carlaw park now is a dump, but you cannot beat it's location.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Batman

The Batman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Me! Carlaw Park was and is, in a perfect location....plus I have fond memories of the place!

Carlaw Park is now student accommodation serviced apartments and hotel, commercial and retail space.

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

Wtf? What is good about the location? Nobody goes there. Nothing remarkable. People go downtown qn st/viaduct mostly when they go down town. Carlaw had it's time when people had way less to do.

Move on chaps. Stop living in the past. Carlaw is dead and nobody cares except you

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Carlaw Park is now student accommodation serviced apartments and hotel, commercial and retail space.
I worry they might try to put the stadium on that used car park wharf.

Reaction score
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
It is Auckland, the perfect spot could come up with 100% funding, for the perfect stadium and some tosser will stop it saying the Feng Shei is wrong or some other wankery.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeoman & Fairgray: Where is the economic case for moving the Ports of Auckland?

It looks like the major problem with going North is the cost. That would be because the planning should have been done 30 years ago, and wasn't, so now is going to cost a massive amount of money.

Does anybody know just where they were going to put a deep water port on the Firth of Thames?

It probably would be cheaper in the short term, but is the engineering viable?

Top Bottom