General Auckland Waterfront Stadium

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
This article sums up the Auckland stadium situation. It should be the park being pushed as the national stadium that should busy not the one the Council wants to kick the Warriors out of and turn into a speedway and or be used less.

Instead Mt Smart is lined up for a busy summer with some big concert acts. Eden Park can't be used because the events happen at night.

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Got to love politicians or ex politicians. Peter Beattie talking about Brisbane potentially hosting the Grand Final in 2021 if Sydney doesn't have the new stadium in time.

Talks about the stadiums Brisbane has Suncorp, Melbourne fine, Townsville being built then he puts out getting a new one in Auckland.

The joking answer is what does he know, or we did he get that from? The more likely option is it's the typical politician BS of making a big statement and worry about the facts later as you probably won't get called out on it on live TV. Also the Australian audience wouldn't care.

About the 40 second mark.

Reaction score

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The good facilities do draw in the crowds. Look at Parramatta this season. There lowest attendance at Bankwest Stadium is just short of 17k. Even for a Thursday night game they had 21k for a game.

Somebody Need a to make a decision.

Reaction score

NZDoug

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
I still like my idea of a couple floating horse shoe shape, or like a staple shape x2 stadium bits that join and put it in the harbour off Britomart.
It could be opened up for boat stuff, like Americas Cup.
It could be taken out to the big cruise liners in deep water to milk em dry for tourism b.s.
Sweet?

Reaction score

NZDoug

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
and you could watch the submarine races.....
Submergable floating dry dock system.

Reaction score

NZDoug

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
and make it out of recyclable plastic milk bottles....

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
The good facilities do draw in the crowds. Look at Parramatta this season. There lowest attendance at Bankwest Stadium is just short of 17k. Even for a Thursday night game they had 21k for a game.

Somebody Need a to make a decision.
New stadiums have a bit of a novelty factor to them. It would be interesting to see how their crowds tail off if they have a bad season.

Surprised they are still getting close to 17k. Mighty be due to the crowd being spread out. It has seemed on TV that even with the smaller crowds there is a good atmosphere as the crowd is still easily heard.

Also hard to gauge the crowd size with the grey seats, which is a good thing as the Olympic Stadium used to be an eye sore with all of the empty seating.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Why do we need a replacement for Eden Park? Nobody goes there except for one test a year and they cannot have concerts.
Just Bring the Blues to MSS. They can block off the top tiers because of the low numbers :rolleyes: and they have to let them in free anyway.

BTW I AM NOT JOKING:mad:

Reaction score
takethetwo

takethetwo

U20's Player
Reaction score
Why do we need a replacement for Eden Park? Nobody goes there except for one test a year and they cannot have concerts.
They cannot have concerts, as you point out, so therefore it's not fit for purpose and a replacement is required.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
They cannot have concerts, as you point out, so therefore it's not fit for purpose and a replacement is required.
It doesn't need to be at Eden Park though. The council is broke, it is cheaper to work on MSS. God Doyle presented a cost benefit analysis for that. They probably accepted that at the time because it bought the council time, not just the Warriors., Eden Park is a white elephant, maybe they are just waiting for all the old rah rahs to drop dead.

Reaction score

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
New stadiums have a bit of a novelty factor to them. It would be interesting to see how their crowds tail off if they have a bad season.

Surprised they are still getting close to 17k. Mighty be due to the crowd being spread out. It has seemed on TV that even with the smaller crowds there is a good atmosphere as the crowd is still easily heard.

Also hard to gauge the crowd size with the grey seats, which is a good thing as the Olympic Stadium used to be an eye sore with all of the empty seating.
Even Melbourne Storm average 17k and would suggest it's the stadium.

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It doesn't need to be at Eden Park though. The council is broke, it is cheaper to work on MSS. God Doyle presented a cost benefit analysis for that. They probably accepted that at the time because it bought the council time, not just the Warriors., Eden Park is a white elephant, maybe they are just waiting for all the old rah rahs to drop dead.
What makes you think the council is broke? The amount of parking and speeding tickets alone could fund WW3. 1.5 million+ roartable inhabitants.

Eden Park has too much good luck history. Rugby won't let that go. ABs record is unbelievable there.

Reaction score
Geoffpublic

Geoffpublic

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
What makes you think the council is broke? The amount of parking and speeding tickets alone could fund WW3. 1.5 million+ roartable inhabitants.
The council is broke. Any further borrowing lowers its credit rating, which raises the interest payments on its current debt. That would be very bad news for every Aucklander. The amount from parking and tickets is dwarfed by the last cost increases of the rail link. And that is just one project.
My preference is totally remodelling Mt. Smart. The council could do it over time.It is close to different motorways and I would think they could run a rail link from Penrose right to the front door.
I also believe its primary purpose should be as a facility for the people of Auckland. Warriors , Blues, soccer and touch do not need a huge stadium. A 30,000 seat stadium would cater to 35,000 for a concert. One game of rugby would suffer but would they stop playing test matches in Auckland?
If we built in the city, where? And at what cost? The tribal land that is regularly suggested would be leasehold. The tribe should get a return and the payment on land that size woud be huge. We already have the land at Mt. Smart.

Reaction score
Warriorholic

Warriorholic

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone went last year, but Nov 16 at Mt Smart is the Supercross open, my true passion. Highly recommend everyone go and the tickets are reasonably priced.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
What makes you think the council is broke?
Rebel yell anyone? :rolleyes:
Not sure if anyone went last year, but Nov 16 at Mt Smart is the Supercross open, my true passion. Highly recommend everyone go and the tickets are reasonably priced.

I wondered why we have to go to Eden Park in November:rolleyes:. I hope it helps pay the bloody bills, their food prices must. What a rip off at MSS although I guess Eden Park is at least as bad.
The council is broke. Any further borrowing lowers its credit rating, which raises the interest payments on its current debt. That would be very bad news for every Aucklander. The amount from parking and tickets is dwarfed by the last cost increases of the rail link. And that is just one project.
My preference is totally remodelling Mt. Smart. The council could do it over time.It is close to different motorways and I would think they could run a rail link from Penrose right to the front door.
I also believe its primary purpose should be as a facility for the people of Auckland. Warriors , Blues, soccer and touch do not need a huge stadium. A 30,000 seat stadium would cater to 35,000 for a concert. One game of rugby would suffer but would they stop playing test matches in Auckland?
If we built in the city, where? And at what cost? The tribal land that is regularly suggested would be leasehold. The tribe should get a return and the payment on land that size woud be huge. We already have the land at Mt. Smart.
The trouble with your post is that it makes sense mate. Just wake up and consider that you have to think of all the die hard rah rahs who never go to Eden Park anymore but want the ground to remain at the cost of the tax payer. Also, and I blame you for this, don't you know that the best place for a stadium is in the centre of town, please don't tell me that the place is full of storage for Japanese cars that would be better off at Marsden Point. Just ignore that, don't ask me why though.:rolleyes:😃

Reaction score
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
As the Gizzy saying goes, the Auckland Councils have always been all Hui, no doey.

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, however Bradford are leaving Odsal whilst considering their future options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/49365567

For anyone who has been to Odsal, pbrown01123 pbrown01123 ? they will know it’s an enormous hole in the ground and a dump. Capable of holding a six figure attendance in the 1950’s, it’s been a monkey on the back of Bradford for a long time now

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, however Bradford are leaving Odsal whilst considering their future options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/49365567

For anyone who has been to Odsal, pbrown01123 pbrown01123 ? they will know it’s an enormous hole in the ground and a dump. Capable of holding a six figure attendance in the 1950’s, it’s been a monkey on the back of Bradford for a long time now
As a lover of history it is sad to see Odsal go. That Challenge cup replay was a world record but also in the post war days when the English had nothing else to do except go down the pits and watch sport on the weekends. Those days are long gone. I can just imagine the thought of being in a massive crowd of 102,000 all pissing on the terrace in front of them:eek: for a few hours and then off to the local to talk about it:D Not too bad if you were in the top terrace I suppose. :D

Eden Park is in the same boat. One bloody All Black test a year, and occasionally a 40 over or 20/20 to pay the bills, just financial madness.

Facts have to be faced.

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
The irony of Bruce simultaneously condemning Eden Park yet still pining for Carlaw Park is amazing.
Chatting with a few Aussies and Saffas about the Bledisloe this week they can’t believe we are even considered moving away from Eden Park due to its history.
Think it’s time to move into the future and have a modern stadium but fear that ship sailed with the 2011 World Cup

Top Bottom