1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
I've watched the construction of this very enviously. This looks like a pretty incredible, intimidating stadium. Lucky Eels.

As you say - EXACTLY what Auckland needs.
Meh.

It doesnt have the things Eden Park has.

Like....

....ah.....

....um.....

History?

Reaction score

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I've watched the construction of this very enviously. This looks like a pretty incredible, intimidating stadium. Lucky Eels.

As you say - EXACTLY what Auckland needs.
So, to hell with all fancy new designs, find a piece of land (council land on/near railway/Vector area?) cut and paste, save money. Same construction crew, same suppliers, same pricing... different city. Do it!

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Can see that stadium having a great atmosphere with those steep grandstands. It would also be pretty intimidating when its full of home supporters.

Hopefully anyone looking at a new stadium in Auckland are looking at what they are doing in Australia for ideas. The one on the old SFS site looks like another good one.

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Thanks Yugo...that's not Derwent Park as I remember it! :eek:
It’s still standing, just! This is on the site of the original Town ground, Borough Park

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
reminds me a lot of Forsyth Barr in Dunedin
not much different to ami stadium in melbourne from what i can see. if it is stepper, then i highly reccomend u dont lean forward in your seats

Reaction score

Juju

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Reaction score
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score

Auckland mayoral candidate John Tamihere backs Eden Park concerts and new sports venue
Auckland mayoral challenger John Tamihere backs concerts being staged at Eden Park and a new covered sports venue adjacent to the stadium.
He made the announcement in his first major policy release, covering parks, open spaces and stadia, at Chamberlain Park on Saturday.
He said rugby league's Warriors would eventually have to shift to Eden Park to avert a costly overhaul of their home at Mt Smart stadium.

John Tamihere and running mate Christine Fletcher at their policy launch at the Chamberlain Park golf course.

TODD NIALL/STUFF
John Tamihere and running mate Christine Fletcher at their policy launch at the Chamberlain Park golf course.
Tamihere also pledged to keep the 18-hole public golf course at Chamberlain Park, making it a part of a sprawling 'People's Precinct' of adjoining council-owned green spaces.

"Sports bodies will have to identify how they fit into the stadia facilities we have, and in some cases cohabit, and co-operate with other sports," Tamihere said.

Following the launch, he told media that the Warriors were going to have to "collaborate and cohabit" with rugby.
"The estimate given to [running mate] Christine Fletcher and I by Regional Facilities Auckland is that it's looking at a $350 million cost [for Mt Smart] – the ratepayer doesn't have that."
Adding concerts to Eden Park would require approval by the Environment Court. The stadium is not owned by the council, which is now supporting the Eden Park Trust Board.

Geoff Senescall has led a so far unsuccessful campaign to retain council-owned Chamberlain Park as an 18-hole golf course.

Geoff Senescall has led a so far unsuccessful campaign to retain council-owned Chamberlain Park as an 18-hole golf course.
Tamihere also said investigations would take place to explore the development of "a self-funding covered multisport venue" on Eden Park's number two ground.
Other policy plans included speedway remaining at Western Springs until a new venue was ready.
A new concept, the 'People's Precinct', would reach across council green space from Chamberlain Park, through Western Springs Park and Jagger's Bush, to Meola Reef Reserve on the harbour's edge.
"In the same way that Central Park (in New York) and Hyde Park (in London) are the recreational centres of their cities, so will be our People's Precinct," Tamihere said.
Tamihere also said he wanted to explore "more effective use" of the Auckland Domain around the War Memorial Museum.
His policy documents did not price the cost of the proposals and said they would be paid through rates, government contributions and levies currently imposed on new dwellings and developments.

Reaction score

Juju

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

Auckland mayoral candidate John Tamihere backs Eden Park concerts and new sports venue
Auckland mayoral challenger John Tamihere backs concerts being staged at Eden Park and a new covered sports venue adjacent to the stadium.
He made the announcement in his first major policy release, covering parks, open spaces and stadia, at Chamberlain Park on Saturday.
He said rugby league's Warriors would eventually have to shift to Eden Park to avert a costly overhaul of their home at Mt Smart stadium.

TODD NIALL/STUFF
Tamihere also pledged to keep the 18-hole public golf course at Chamberlain Park, making it a part of a sprawling 'People's Precinct' of adjoining council-owned green spaces.

"Sports bodies will have to identify how they fit into the stadia facilities we have, and in some cases cohabit, and co-operate with other sports," Tamihere said.

Following the launch, he told media that the Warriors were going to have to "collaborate and cohabit" with rugby.
"The estimate given to [running mate] Christine Fletcher and I by Regional Facilities Auckland is that it's looking at a $350 million cost [for Mt Smart] – the ratepayer doesn't have that."
Adding concerts to Eden Park would require approval by the Environment Court. The stadium is not owned by the council, which is now supporting the Eden Park Trust Board.

Tamihere also said investigations would take place to explore the development of "a self-funding covered multisport venue" on Eden Park's number two ground.
Other policy plans included speedway remaining at Western Springs until a new venue was ready.
A new concept, the 'People's Precinct', would reach across council green space from Chamberlain Park, through Western Springs Park and Jagger's Bush, to Meola Reef Reserve on the harbour's edge.
"In the same way that Central Park (in New York) and Hyde Park (in London) are the recreational centres of their cities, so will be our People's Precinct," Tamihere said.
Tamihere also said he wanted to explore "more effective use" of the Auckland Domain around the War Memorial Museum.
His policy documents did not price the cost of the proposals and said they would be paid through rates, government contributions and levies currently imposed on new dwellings and developments.
Thats a big no vote from me.

Reaction score
Diesel

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It shits me the Warriors are expected to go to EP. It’s a Union/cricket ground, not a rectangle ground either and league has no seats on the board. 🖕🖕🖕🖕

Reaction score

Dave Brough

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
At least I wont be around to see it. I Will be well dead

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
What John Tamihere does't get its not case a of the club not wanting to share a ground with rugby. This week there was talk of a double header so that screws that arguement.

The issues are more the ground itself. The business case doesn't also stack up. When they were bring pushed to move there was talk the Warriors would lose the corporate box revenue and they get from Mt Smart and would need to lift their average attendance to 19k.

That is backwards. Look at Australia the management of the big grounds make the big grounds financially attractive for the clubs. Pretty sure they get a financial incentive. The issue there is the same as we will get with small crowds bad atmosphere. It would be worse at Eden Park with the ground being so far away.

Reaction score

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Parra just showed what a Coloseum stadium does. Mr George, tear down that wall (and build us a stadium we deserve, and a leagues club for fans to mingle, eat, drink, be entertained and watch the footy if its sold out)

Reaction score

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I know Cannabis is on the agenda but I didnt realise LSD was legalised, this Tamahere man is on some good stuff. Who is this twit and where the hell did he come from?

Aucklands "Central Park". You flapping uninformed self righteous wanker. Central park is only there due to the foundantations and bedrock elsehwere and what hes saying is NOTHING like Central Park.

Top Bottom