General Auckland Waterfront Stadium

Reaction score
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Wellington is smaller than Hamilton and Christchurch. It is not a big city and it is only a capital because of government. Most head offices are in Auckland. Athletic Park was dead so had to be replaced. It was a poor decision to make the Cake Tin Oval but that was probably because they needed the money from one day cricket. The Basin Reserve is a great ground for test cricket and there is no real reason why we cannot have a similar ground in Auckland.

The horrible reality for rah rahs is that their beloved Eden Park is going to be concrete and clay, just like our beloved Carlaw Park, so get over it and get used to Fritz's weiners at MSS.
Even if all you say is correct Bruce why hasnt Auckland got a Cricket test venue and an up to date stadium which has been built in other areas.?

Reaction score

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think the price you pay for living in Auckland is that you don't have an international stadium. Much easier and cheaper ( because of land costs and planning ) to build one in say Whangarei, Hamilton, Nelson , Invercargil or Tauranga or where ever there is a reasonably stable population and economic catchment and supportive Council.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the price you pay for living in Auckland is that you don't have an international stadium. Much easier and cheaper ( because of land costs and planning ) to build one in say Whangarei, Hamilton, Nelson , Invercargil or Tauranga or where ever there is a reasonably stable population and economic catchment and supportive Council.
The one in Whangarei as an example was built using ratepayer funds for the 2011 RWC.
I think the price you pay for living in Auckland is that you don't have an international stadium.
Auckland is poorly planned, and has been for decades. With the massive increase in immigration it just made it worse.
Wellington has a bigger population than CHCH (420k vs 404k)since the quake, and has close to 200k more than Hamilton(420k vs 240k)...
My bad:oops:
It’s clear you have a hate for westpac
Because it is too small for cricket and too big for football.
Basin was a pain in the arse to get to- zero parking traffic nightmare no food options(except maybe Newtown).
I used to walk there, like one can do in Wellington because it is so small. It is a genuine cricket ground, especially for test matches. It cannot cope with one dayers which shows how wonderful Eden Park is, because it can:rolleyes:, but is useless for test matches.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
It seems Auckland doesnt have the balls to do the same. Please dont quote population at me because low attendance is part of the issue.
How can one not quote population when discussing this?

And if you wanna talk about low attendance than look no further than Wellington. The national stadium already is in Auckland. NZs premier stadium anyway. The talk now is whether to fix it up or build a new one.

This is something Auckland needs to talk about. Not the rest of NZ. Regardless of whether taxpayers money is used or not. Just like the rest of the country isn't consulted when Te Papa or Westpac Stadium need a hand out...

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Auckland is poorly planned, and has been for decades. With the massive increase in immigration it just made it worse.
Aucklands biggest problem is that its an isthmus. Pretty hard to plan out without building a shitload of interconnecting bridges, tunnels and public transport links. Purely a hangup from its fair weather harbour past...

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Aucklands biggest problem is that its an isthmus.
Absolutely. One of the largest isthmus cities in the world I think. Peninsular cities have similar problems e.g. Wellington and Mount Maunganui. Having acknowledged that the planning is still pretty pathetic and that can be blamed as much on successive central governments as well as Auckland Councils.
Just like the rest of the country isn't consulted when Te Papa or Westpac Stadium need a hand out...
Right on, and don't forget about the multi-million dollar earthquake proof parliament buildings...bloody disgraceful...it was far cheaper to move the capital to Palmerston North.

Reaction score
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Westpac stadium has made a surplus each year for as far back as I could be bothered looking.

Looks to be a well run ship that can fund their own maintenance and upgrades....unlike a certain ‘national stadium’ in Sandringham

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Westpac stadium has made a surplus each year for as far back as I could be bothered looking.

Looks to be a well run ship!
That says a lot about Eden Park then. Poor planning.

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Is the number one rule "Don't Build Near Houses".

Otherwise your neighbours might nark on ya about the noise/bitch about the drop in their house value/stop night games and concerts.

I'm guessing the housing came first, then the stadium. Great idea. Not.

Reaction score
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score

Otherwise your neighbours might nark on ya about the noise/bitch about the drop in their house value/stop night games and concerts.

Pretty hard to get around that in a city.

Reaction score
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score

And if you wanna talk about low attendance than look no further than Wellington. The national stadium already is in Auckland. NZs premier stadium anyway. The talk now is whether to fix it up or build a new one.

This is something Auckland needs to talk about. Not the rest of NZ. Regardless of whether taxpayers money is used or not. Just like the rest of the country isn't consulted when Te Papa or Westpac Stadium need a hand out...
Mate my point is when does the talking stop and the action start. Eden Park and the Trust are living the Python 'Dead parrot' scene.

Reaction score
Whiteknight

Whiteknight

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

nope, Eden Park was actually a swamp that they drained in the early 1900's, there was bugger all houses around it

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
nope, Eden Park was actually a swamp that they drained in the early 1900's, there was bugger all houses around it
True...and in subsequent decades the Eden Park Trust bought ALL the houses on the boundaries to give themselves some breathing room.

Interesting thing about the nimby population who complain about the louts who attend sports at the ground. Those louts have to spend heaps and go through hoops to get their tickets compared with back in my day when one used to camp out in the streets from the evening beforehand to get a place to queue for the ground opened at 10 am.

All the nimbys have bought there since the ground was expanded so they have no right at all to complain about the odd game there.
Mate my point is when does the talking stop and the action start. Eden Park and the Trust are living the Python 'Dead parrot' scene.
Good analogy. The Eden Park Trust have allowed their precious asset to fall into the hands of creditors for a couple of decades now. My guess is they have no real say in what happens any more.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
it should be. As long as the figures used are semi accurate..unlike some that have been used thus far on this thread

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Err...Baypark is across the harbour at Mount Manganui;), Tauranga has nothing.
Sorry to break it to you Bruce but the Mount became a suburb of Tauranga over 30 years ago. Baypark and Bruce Park are all within the Tauranga City area. The oldies down there, a lot of whom are friends of my parents from when we lived down there, are pretty much the only ones who still consider it separate. But, I think, most of them also belong to the Carlaw Park Diehards group so they enjoy living in the past!!!

Back to the Stadium topic, with an extra $500 mil being needed for the new City Rail Link and talk of the Council getting so strapped for cash that there's now talk of them selling assets and not letting WaterCare do the new western intersector pipeline, I honestly can't see there being a new stadium for Auckland for the next 20 years.

Actually, I wonder if that or a second harbour crossing would be completed within my lifetime.

Reaction score

Kalcod

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I just went back to the UK for Christmas and managed to get to see 2 games at Leicester City at the King Power Stadium. I've not been home for 20 years so it was my first time visiting this stadium and it was amazing. There is not a bad view in the entire place, no columns to block out anything. The atmosphere was fantastic. It would be amazing to see something like this stadium, purpose built for football shaped fields. Rugby League, Rugby and Football could all share. Its only a 32,000 capacity and it was sold out for both games. I'd just love the Warriors to have something along the lines of this stadium and be able to fill it.20181227_032150.jpg

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I just went back to the UK for Christmas and managed to get to see 2 games at Leicester City at the King Power Stadium. I've not been home for 20 years so it was my first time visiting this stadium and it was amazing. There is not a bad view in the entire place, no columns to block out anything. The atmosphere was fantastic. It would be amazing to see something like this stadium, purpose built for football shaped fields. Rugby League, Rugby and Football could all share. Its only a 32,000 capacity and it was sold out for both games. I'd just love the Warriors to have something along the lines of this stadium and be able to fill it.View attachment 39406
This country’s full of good stadiums. The problem when it comes to Auckland though is that the English stadiums have largely been built on the huge and steady amounts of cash football clubs get from being in the EPL. The only big stadium I can immediately think of that was public sector financed was Man City’s ground, it was developed by Manchester Council for the 2002 Commonwealth Games, then leased to Man City after the running track was removed. It’s been further developed and extended now with the money the Abu Dhabi owners have put in. The others have mostly been private sector, often with naming rights given out to sponsor the development costs, Leicester’s Kingpower being one such, Bolton’s Reebok and Huddersfield’s John Smiths being others

Edit. How could I forget West Ham which was the 2012 Olympic stadium. West Ham got the deal of the century to occupy that, the thieving cockney c***s still complain about some of the costs as well

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Eden Park seeks '$100m bailout' to keep hosting All Blacks and major events
16 Feb, 2019 5:00am

Eden Park is pleading for $100 million from Auckland ratepayers as mounting financial pressures put at risk its ability to host All Black tests and other major events.

The Eden Park Trust has asked Auckland Council to take over a $40m loan and provide $64m for maintenance over the next decade, prompting one council source to call it "a $100m bailout".

A report done by consultants EY for council four months ago paints a bleak financial outlook for the city's premier stadium, saying revenue is falling and there is no money for new turf, floodlights and giant video screens. It faces losses of $80m over the next decade.

What's more, this year's Rugby World Cup in Japan would result in the loss of one of two lucrative All Black tests, just two of the usual four cricket internationals and other revenue challenges meant the trust would be unable to pay interest costs of about $1.5m, EY said.

In the past fortnight, Auckland councillors have been called to confidential workshops to hear pleas from Eden Park Trust and Regional Facilities Auckland for $91 million to transform Western Springs into a cricket oval for tests and international one-day and T20 matches.

As well as the increased scale and cost of the cricket oval, the council's regional facilities arm plans to downsize QBE North Harbour and Mt Smart stadiums to "community stadiums".

The large sums of money are seriously worrying the mayoral office, where Mayor Phil Goff is trying to focus on housing and transport issues, including a possible $500m to $1b blowout on the $3.4b City Rail Link.

In a statement, Goff said Eden Park's financial position was not sustainable and indicated a willingness to help in a way that protect's ratepayers' interests.

He said the council would expect a "commercial rate of return" on the $40m loan when it terminates this year. The trust currently pays the interest on the loan but has been unable to pay down the capital.

The Mayor said the council had made no decisions about the $64m sought by the trust for maintenance, but his personal view was that any money be secured as a loan rather than a grant.

That would protect ratepayers in the event Eden Park was sold, Goff said.

It is understood Goff wants to resolve the difficulties at Eden Park before tackling Regional Facilities' latest "Venue Development Strategy" for stadiums.

Eden Park Trust chairman Doug McKay said all nine members of the trust and senior managers attended this Wednesday's workshop for a "full and transparent conversation" around the situation at the park, the findings of the EY report and the $40m loan that terminates in September.

He said the trust was asked what it would take to keep to keep the park running on a sustainable basis and responded $64m was required for a 10-year maintenance plan, which includes $3.5m for a new turf and $5.6m for floodlights.

The $40m loan was a matter for the council after September, he said.

McKay said the trust would like to have a closer relationship with the council in the running of the park, but said legislative changes would be needed to change the governance structure of the trust.

Albany councillor John Watson said there was some sympathy around the council table for helping Eden Park, which had been unable to pay down the $40m loan underwritten by council to complete an upgrade for the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

"The council needs to do what it can to help Eden Park and not kneecap them through the Venue Development Strategy that takes cricket away," he said.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12204259

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
New cricket oval at Western Springs blows out to $91m in latest strategy for Auckland's stadiums
16 Feb, 2019 5:00am

Revised venue strategy reignites row between mayor and critics.
The transformation of Western Springs into the "Home of New Zealand Cricket" has blown out to $91 million and reignited a battle between mayor Phil Goff and council critics.

A revised Venue Development Strategy involves ever-growing plans for cricket at Western Springs at the expense of Mt Smart and QBE stadiums, which will become "community stadiums" for less than 10,000 spectators.

The Warriors will likely be forced to move to Eden Park when their lease expires at Mt Smart in 2028 and the Colin Kay Stand is demolished. QBE Stadium at Albany will be reduced in size from 25,000 seats but continue to be used by North Harbour Rugby, football and baseball.

The latest stadium strategy from the council-controlled organisation Regional Facilities Auckland and related documents have been obtained by the Weekend Herald.

he documents, marked "confidential", show plans for a $12m cricket oval at Western Springs in 2015 have steadily increased in scale and cost to $91 million for a cricket oval to host international tests, one-day and T20 matches for a minimum of 18,000 people.

Concerts will continue to be held at Western Springs and there are plans for AFL matches, while speedway moves to Colin Dale Park near Auckland Airport.

Architectural drawings by Warren and Mahoney show a light-weight elevated pavilion with corporate facilities for 700 people and premium covered seats floating above an open, paved concourse around the oval.

Within the oval concourse is open seating with standing terraces on the hillside. There are plans for a Walk of Fame from the Great North Rd entrance, cricket training nets and upgraded outer fields for the likes of the Ponsonby Rugby Club.

Under a heads of agreement between council and New Zealand Cricket, the national body will not put any money into Western Springs but has preferential rights to the facilities.

At this stage, Auckland Cricket has no plans to move from its home at Eden Park, which comes with benefits of about $1m a year, plus use of the number two ground during summer.

The strategy talks about the need for a new national stadium to replace Eden Park, but does not advance a PWC report commissioned last year that looked at several downtown options costing between $1.1 billion and $1.5b.

RFA chief executive Chris Brooks said the latest strategy built on earlier work to take the city's old and unfit stadiums to create a purpose-built rectangular and oval stadium and high performance facilities at Mt Smart and North Harbour.

Even if a new downtown stadium is built, Eden Park would be needed for the next 10 years, he said.

Brooks said the city was sitting on "a half a billion dollar time bomb" if it did not make some decisions. Mt Smart would need $350m spent on it after 2028, he said.

He said the $12m cost for Western Springs in 2015 was for a cricket oval and since then RFA had looked at how it could develop that from an international perspective. The $91m cost would be spent over seven years.

The latest plans have come in for criticism from the 'B' team of councillors, who dealt Goff a blow last November by deferring plans to move speedway to Colin Dale Park. An extraordinary meeting of the planning committee to discuss the new strategy next Wednesday was cancelled on Thursday following feedback by councillors.

One member of the 'B' team, Wayne Walker, said he was alarmed at the woeful lack of information and a business case for the latest plans, saying councillors should have time for a proper, transparent and fully informed process.

He has written to council chief executive Stephen Town asking for full public disclosure of material related to the strategy and considering calling a vote of no confidence in RFA.

His colleague, John Watson, said the "helter-skelter" of RFA's stadium strategy continues.

"The exit of speedway to a new venue and the construction of a new cricket stadium will cost more than $120m," said Watson.

He said more than 22,000 Aucklanders will miss out of events like last week's packed T20 game at Eden Park between the Black Caps and India due to the smaller ground at Western Springs.

Goff said no extra money has been set aside for the development of Western Springs as a cricket venue and RFA has assured him they are not seeking funding to convert Western Springs into a cricket ground for the next few years.

Eden Park Trust chairman Doug McKay said the trust had played no formal part in the latest venue development strategy and knew nothing about the plans for Western Springs.

Warriors chief executive Cameron George said "at this stage we do not wish to comment".

What's planned for Auckland's stadiums
Eden Park

Rectangular ground for All Black tests, Super Rugby, other rugby matches
Likely home for Warriors when Mt Smart lease expires in 2028
Loses international tests, one-day and T20 cricket to Western Springs
Possible management role by Auckland Council/Regional Facilities Auckland

Western Springs

Speedway moves to Colin Dale Park after this summer's season
Oval ground for cricket, including tests, international one-day and T20 matches, domestic cricket.
Capacity 18,000-plus
High performance cricket facility
Venue for AFL matches
Concerts/festivals
Ponsonby Rugby Club

North Harbour

Downgraded to community stadium with seating for less than 10,000 for rugby, football, baseball
Tenants include North Harbour Rugby/NZ Football/Baseball NZ
High performance facility for rugby, football, baseball, AFL, Massey University

Mt Smart

Home of Warriors until lease expires in 2028
After 2028 Colin Kay Stand demolished and becomes community stadium for domestic rugby, club rugby league, club rugby and football
Tenants include Warriors (until 2028),Oceania Football Federation, Auckland Athletics
High performance facility for rugby league, football, rugby, athletics, High Performance Sport NZ

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12204293

Top Bottom