General Auckland Waterfront Stadium

Damn!!!! Why did I come back to this thread??!! Where's that carving knife again??!!

Sorry what I actually meant to post was maybe you could take some time off your paid employment and do some mock ups of possible stadiums to open up the discussion.

Sorry what I actually meant to post was maybe you could take some time off your paid employment and do some mock ups of possible stadiums to open up the discussion.
4_colosseum_4.jpg

And it could be rented out to Gladitors (and the occasional Lions vs Christians) when it's not being used for League

Last edited:
Doyle when he came back was talking about a smaller stadium for the Blues and Warriors games and then use Eden Park for the events that need 50k plus. That still requires 2 stadiums to be maintained and invested in. I'd prefer a bigger stadium on the waterfront to be used as a national stadium with a capacity of 50-60k if possible.

I know they are wanting to consolidate the cities stadiums but you would suspect one of the current stadiums would need to be kept incase there was a scheduling conflict.

Have to laugh at some of the comments on the NZHerald site.

"Why build a 35k stadium the All Blacks and Blues can full that no problem".
The All Blacks would fill it no problem, no argument with that. NZ Rugby are complaining about filling ever other countries and not getting the revenue. How about they get behind this idea and potentially get a bigger stadium where they can get the revenue. The Blues it would be rare for them to get 40k plus.

"A stadium should be near bars etc like in Kingsland and Eden Park already has the trains directed to it, we have a hard enough time getting people in and out of a city on a week day".
Fair enough but that was invested at the same time as the Eden Park upgrade. The cities transport should be able to handle 50k coming from all directions on a Friday night or throughout the weekend. That point also forgets the people living around Eden Park don't want too many events on at night time which is kind of an issue for a stadium holding events.

bruce

Contributor
"A stadium should be near bars etc like in Kingsland and Eden Park already has the trains directed to it, we have a hard enough time getting people in and out of a city on a week day".
Kingsland only has a handful of bars. I know I did the walk during the RWC. Waste of time that. Eden Park is a dinosaur. The All Blacks have two tests a year there at most. The Blues crowds aren't much better than the Warriors. The rail link is a small suburban rail stop.

Downtown has a rail terminal, a bus terminal, heaps of parking, heaps of bars and restaurants.

I see the Ngati Whatua are saying they cannot develop the railway land on the watwerfront. Ok what about Victoria Park and open up some other small grounds around Ponsonby, Grey Lynn and Newton for the junior games. They have taken half of Victoria Park for the motorway anyway.

Reactions: mt.wellington
Yeah I agree with you. I was pointing out the comments from the Herald trying to shoot down the stadium in favour of the current on which is in such a perfect location.:rolleyes:

After big events aren't there usually a few articles about all of the bars and restaurants in Kingsland being full. Sounds like they can't accommodate the number of people coming through. Not a problem in the city.

After the upgrades and during the last stadium discussion there was talk of the All Blacks playing at Eden Park more often. Instead we have carried on playing around the country. I can understand playing in Dunedin as they made a commitment to play big opposition there after helping to bail out the Otago RU.

A city stadium we should be able to do like Suncorp and have each corner of the stadium lined with buses to got to each corner of the city; North Shore, South Auckland or out West etc.

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Contributor
After big events aren't there usually a few articles about all of the bars and restaurants in Kingsland being full. Sounds like they can't accommodate the number of people coming through. Not a problem in the city.
Yes there are, but there are hardly any there anyway, it is a small suburban shopping centre that used to be a dry area, so no large hotels. The money was wasted on that stadium for the RWC because they didn't have the time to do a proper job in the city. It still doesn't change the fact that is was wasted, and should have no more wasted on it. It also doesn't change that finding a suitable site in the city is going to be a problem, all due to poor long term planning when Carlaw Park was available.

Reactions: snake77
Makes me laugh when people say that the CBD couldn't cope with having cars and public transport to get fans in for a game of footy at a new CBD based stadium. According to Auckland Transport, over 34,000 people travel to the CBD every morning using public transport and more than 37,000 travel by private transport. Over 70,000 people every day during the week but 35,000 people going into town on a weekend to watch a football game would somehow ruin the CBD.

bruce

Contributor
If Eden Park crumbles and North Harbour loses the council millions each year it's not the Warriors problem.
JD must have really worked hard on that because as you say it is not the Warriors problem anymore. My guess is that he must have provided some really good strategies to the council to get his way. He must have done that before as well so it could not have been easy.

Now he has the problem of a lame duck coach, half a decent roster and fans baying for blood. He should be able to get that fixed before breakfast tomorrow.:D

• Haha
Reactions: Freddie Futler

bruce

Contributor
Makes me laugh when people say that the CBD couldn't cope with having cars and public transport to get fans in for a game of footy at a new CBD based stadium.
Who said that?
If Eden Park can't pay for its own upkeep why don't they just up their lease charges when it's due for renegotiation?

Same goes for North Harbour?
I think the Eden Park Trust Board own the stadium in name only. They are in serious debt after the upgrade for the RWC. From the council concerns it must be them who are owed the money. The same would go for QBE.