General Auckland Vulcans Trial

2big2strong_old

There is an open trial on tomorrow @ 11am at Cornwall Park. Anyone is welcome to have a run.

Jesbass, probably a bit late now but there's a 17 year old Christian fella on twitter from Tauranga trying to flag down a lift to partake in the trial.

In other news on twitter, one T.Latu could be on the cusp of an NRL return with a Sydney club. Marv Karawana that was released from the knights could be donning the Vulcans jersey this year.

All you Auckland folk should try and get down to Cornwall park tomorrow if you're busting for your league fix! Could be a few entertaining games and maybe the unearthing of some future stars!

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking_old

There is an open trial on tomorrow @ 11am at Cornwall Park. Anyone is welcome to have a run.

Jesbass, probably a bit late now but there's a 17 year old Christian fella on twitter trying to flag down a lift to partake in the trial.

In other news on twitter, one T.Latu could be on the cusp of an NRL return with a Sydney club. Marv Karawana that was released from the knights could be donning the Vulcans jersey this year.

All you Auckland folk should try and get down to Cornwall park tomorrow if you're busting for your league fix! Could be a few entertaining games and maybe the unearthing of some future stars!

Last years trial was a bit average, lots of rugby players trying their luck with no clue, fitness or endurance and as a result, dragged the quality of the games down for the league players as well. Still some good players though, Sonny Walker was impressive in limited time on the field, he basically walked on and made an immediate impact. Ackland was there watching him and should have signed him up to the juniors squad IMO.

Viking_old

Sonny Walker? Is he from Richmond? Or is that another Sonny?

I can't think of a Sonny from Richmond.

He played Phelan for Pukekohe in 2010 as an 18 year old, trialled and made the Vulcans squad last year and played Fox for Otahuhu. I haven't seen him play club footy but I thought he was the standout in last years trial. He's a very fast and elusive winger. Not sure if got to play any Vulcans games thanks to the Warriors depth but should get a run this year and might still be eligable for NYC.

Spence_old

I'm fairly certain he (Walker) played a handful of games for the Vulcans this year.

2big2strong_old

Oh ok. I was reading a story a while ago about some fella Sonny that came through the grades at Richmond with Evarn and Latu. He was meant to be a star but got struck down with injury and just made a comeback in 2011 with the Bulldogs perms/fox although quite overweight.

What do you think of Tevita coming back to NRL Viking? I watched him play Q cup last year and even at 30 he was best on field in the 3 games I saw. Nigel Vagana flew over to Aukilani during the week on the NRL's behalf to table an offer from a Sydney club. I'm assuming everything is sweet with Gallop if that's happening.

Viking_old

Oh ok. I was reading a story a while ago about some fella Sonny that came through the grades at Richmond with Evarn and Latu. He was meant to be a star but got struck down with injury and just made a comeback in 2011 with the Bulldogs perms/fox although quite overweight.

What do you think of Tevita coming back to NRL Viking? I watched him play Q cup last year and even at 30 he was best on field in the 3 games I saw. Nigel Vagana flew over to Aukilani during the week on the NRL's behalf to table an offer from a Sydney club. I'm assuming everything is sweet with Gallop if that's happening.

How did he end up in Q-cup, I thought he was a big signing for Salford last season? He's a quality player and you'd think he'd have been on good money in ESL. He'll be a great back up hooker for an NRL club and cheap I guess. He's usually Tonga's best player.

2big2strong_old

He had his British visa revoked when they started tightening their homeland security laws (because of his Aussie conviction). He came home to nz and was immediately picked up by Central Comets.

slaughterhouse.sa_old

I can't think of a Sonny from Richmond.

He played Phelan for Pukekohe in 2010 as an 18 year old, trialled and made the Vulcans squad last year and played Fox for Otahuhu. I haven't seen him play club footy but I thought he was the standout in last years trial. He's a very fast and elusive winger. Not sure if got to play any Vulcans games thanks to the Warriors depth but should get a run this year and might still be eligable for NYC.

Totally agree.

Sonny Walker is a puke boy.
He has carved up in the maori tournament past couple of years.

Despite puke being at the bottom of third division and struggling to field a team, there are some good talent.

Ben Kingi - last years 20s squad, was a wicked natural talent but for was mucked around by Manurewa which cost him chances to play when carlos was injured

Sonny im picking got sick of no gametime and gave up on the vulcans, so stuck with otahuhu.
He does have the xfactor and would have been a better option than guys like Steven Shennan, Simon Gibson for outside back depth in the 20s.
I would of even picked him ahead of collier.

Too old this year unfort for 20s.

From rumours some of the following players who are trialling/playing for vulcans:

Steven Waetford - howick fullback/outside back
James Blackwell - otahuhu fullback
Darin Kingi - Vulcans Hooker
Dan Palavi - former jnr warriors
Agnatius Paasi - fmr jnr warriors
Charlie Gubb - frm jnr warriors
Luke Laban - former jnr warriors
Herman Retzlaff - frmer vulcan

Plus there are going to be a heap of 19-24 from the fox, local rugby and im sure they would have invited all the NZ Residents players from around the country.

There are two players who would walk in but have travel restrictions.
Suia Matagi - a gun forward.
Manu Mau - probably the best player last year - I think he has done time inside.

Spence_old

So Retzlaff was unsuccessful in Aussie? That's a shame. Interesting to see Laban back, that was one I thought would be gone forever. I thought he lacked a bit of oomph in the U20s, hopefully he's sorted out that problem.

2big2strong_old

So Retzlaff was unsuccessful in Aussie? That's a shame. Interesting to see Laban back, that was one I thought would be gone forever. I thought he lacked a bit of oomph in the U20s, hopefully he's sorted out that problem.

I agree, I think he's shit. It may be a case of who you know not what you know.

He's moved to Auckland with his cousin Piri Weepu. He's part of the Wainuiomata Royal family of league. The Weepu's, Va'a's, Karawanas and Labans.

Viking_old

He had his British visa revoked when they started tightening their homeland security laws (because of his Aussie conviction). He came home to nz and was immediately picked up by Central Comets.

Figured it had to be something like that.

Viking_old

Totally agree.

Sonny Walker is a puke boy.
He has carved up in the maori tournament past couple of years.

Despite puke being at the bottom of third division and struggling to field a team, there are some good talent.

Ben Kingi - last years 20s squad, was a wicked natural talent but for was mucked around by Manurewa which cost him chances to play when carlos was injured

Sonny im picking got sick of no gametime and gave up on the vulcans, so stuck with otahuhu.
He does have the xfactor and would have been a better option than guys like Steven Shennan, Simon Gibson for outside back depth in the 20s.
I would of even picked him ahead of collier.

Too old this year unfort for 20s.

From rumours some of the following players who are trialling/playing for vulcans:

Steven Waetford - howick fullback/outside back
James Blackwell - otahuhu fullback
Darin Kingi - Vulcans Hooker
Dan Palavi - former jnr warriors
Agnatius Paasi - fmr jnr warriors
Charlie Gubb - frm jnr warriors
Luke Laban - former jnr warriors
Herman Retzlaff - frmer vulcan

Plus there are going to be a heap of 19-24 from the fox, local rugby and im sure they would have invited all the NZ Residents players from around the country.

There are two players who would walk in but have travel restrictions.
Suia Matagi - a gun forward.
Manu Mau - probably the best player last year - I think he has done time inside.

I don't know but I doubt Sonny ditched the Vulcans as he'd have been contracted to them for 10K or so and also getting match payments from Otahuhu. I think Blackmore took him on as a project and to help Otahuhu at the same time. It'll be interesting to see what he does this year.

Laban, Gubb and the tank back eh? Hermann's easily the best of those three but I reckon he must've got offside with someone at the Warriors, he'd be better off having a crack in England or France. A bit small for prop though, I've seen him play one club game at 13 and he was outstanding.

I watched Laban play a few club games for Howick and he is a very good leader but just doesn't do enough work and the work he does do is unspectacular. He's also too small for prop for Auckland club footy IMO. Not good enough for the Vulcans either unless he's improved in Aus.

Spence_old

Still stuck in 2011 eh? Good that he got a couple of games then, did you see him play?

I still don't think I've correctly dated something /2012 yet. I recently filled out a bond refund form and I dated it 2011. I hope it's alright. I'm terrible with dates.

JAH_old

I agree, I think he's shit. It may be a case of who you know not what you know.

He's moved to Auckland with his cousin Piri Weepu. He's part of the Wainuiomata Royal family of league. The Weepu's, Va'a's, Karawanas and Labans.

The Lomax's didnt make ya list.

Northern_Union

Earl Va'a was a talented stand off. Was sad to see him go to union though he did play for Samoa (or was it Tonga?).

Northern_Union

It always surprised me that he didn't make it any further in league than he did.