General Attacking game

To run alongside the Defensive Game thread, which has some great insights, I thought I'd start an Attack one.

Our lack of possession this season makes all of our attacking stats look poor but I thought I'd kickstart the discussion by focusing on the aspect of Offloads.

2018 - 12.76 per game (1st in comp)
2019 - 11.91 pg (4th)
2020 - 10.7 pg (2nd)
2021 - 11 pg (4th)
First 10 Rounds of 2022 - 6.6pg (16th)

Last edited:
Attack and defence is interlinked.

Melbourne 1st points for/ 3rd points against
Panthers 2nd pf/ 1st pa
Eels 3rd pf/ 9th pa
Cowboys 4th of/ 2nd pa
South’s 5th pf/ 7th pa
Rooster 6th pf/ 4th= pa
Sharks 7th pf/ 4th= pa
Broncos 8th pf/ 6th pa

The top 8 are in the top 8 for both attack and defence (except the eels defence).

Is it the better possession that the better teams enjoy? Or the players are better conditioned (explosive, dynamic, fitness, lateral movement, etc) that allows them to be good at both?

Attack and defence is interlinked.

Melbourne 1st points for/ 3rd points against
Panthers 2nd pf/ 1st pa
Eels 3rd pf/ 9th pa
Cowboys 4th of/ 2nd pa
South’s 5th pf/ 7th pa
Rooster 6th pf/ 4th= pa
Sharks 7th pf/ 4th= pa
Broncos 8th pf/ 6th pa

The top 8 are in the top 8 for both attack and defence (except the eels defence).

Is it the better possession that the better teams enjoy? Or the players are better conditioned (explosive, dynamic, fitness, lateral movement, etc) that allows them to be good at both?
The possession stats are similar to the top 8 ladder with the exception of the Tigers replacing the Broncos
Screenshot_20220519-123742_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I imagine Aitken playing in the back row has lowered the offload count, he’s a black hole on offence. It’s so much lower this year you would have to think it’s come from the coach as well though:

Reactions: Cces
To run alongside the Defensive Game thread, which has some great insights, I thought I'd start an Attack one.

Our lack of possession this season makes all of our attacking stats look poor but I thought I'd kickstart the discussion by focusing on the aspect of Offloads.

2018 - 12.76 per game (1st in comp)
2019 - 11.91 pg (4th)
2020 - 10.7 pg (2nd)
2021 - 11 pg (4th)
First 10 Rounds of 2022 - 6.6pg (16th)
2018 most offloads in the comp under Kearney counters the general impression that he was conservative in that department.

Attack is what Trent Barretts very good at, he set up the Panthers attack in 2019 and look at them now. As I said on another thread, nothing against Stacy at all.. but the old boys club needs to be squashed.. and bring coaches with a proven record at top level. No matter where they come from. If Barretts keen enough, then should get him before someone else does.. contracts arent worth the paper it's written on these days. Need to be and act professionally ruthless, its not a nicey nicey environment anymore.
Mark Graham years ago said the ABs were amateurs run by professionals and the Warriors are professional run by amateurs..
And after all these years not much has changed by the looks of things..

I think a lot of our poor attack comes back to run meters (or lack of- pretty sure we're last in that stat?) in particular our set starts- we've really been having trouble working it out of our end which is going to lead to less offloads- also less supports and less decoys (havent seen those stats but id be confident we're down the bottom in those categories too).
So first step- we gotta be starting our sets better.
If we can get the ball in better spots then we can start playing some footy.

Reactions: Rizzah and Cces
The possession stats are similar to the top 8 ladder with the exception of the Tigers replacing the Broncos View attachment 47175
So the real truth is attack and defensive ability/ coaching is irrelevant. Time with the ball fixes those.

Coaching firstly needs to be about possession, restricting penalties and turnovers and you will set up the win. Gone are the days with strong defensive teams or attacking teams. Possession trumps those.

A grumpy referee and even with the best players and coaching in the world, and you will still lose

This is highlighted by the refereeing performance in the Sharks game (10 sharks sets in a row after we scored) where 58% possession to the Sharks is insurmountable even with extra players.

I agree with the possession argument, I believe most teams can put points on to an extent, I thought we would never reach 30 points this year but we did it in 41min of play. It shows that if you can hold on to the ball more than the other team it usually results in winning. Its like playing a game of keep away.

A comment on the offload, because our backrow and backs dont generate enough positive runs we are dying for second phase to generate some go forward, if you have watched this year most of our offloads this year have been positive and in some case immediately led to tries. Now there are some who should never offload like Katoa but I believe Lodge and Jazz's offloads are quite safe considering their usually turned back towards our team when they do it. The offload Reece failed to complete to Pompey I was fine with as well as it was the right mover just poorly executed and I can live with that.

Also I think we asked Addin to simplify his game because of all the errors at the start of the year but I think we miss some of his 2nd phase play at times, then again I'm not crying for him to offload. We need offloads for this specific team to win dues to our weak individual runners