General Attacking depth

DanKokoro_old

I assume alot of you guys have read this article.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10566060&pnum=1

Graham lowe raises some good points about our attacking depth or lack there of. Not the depth of our squad but depth as in how deep the players in the backline position themselves back from the ruck. I think it's true that our backline is quite often too shallow, especially when you compare it to say brisbane's, even though their halves are better.
I'd much prefer our boys to be getting the ball on the run rather than getting it standing still and having no options, especially when you've got people like Aiden Kirk in the team who might aswell just turn around and run the other way. But i noticed it quite a bit in the last 2 games, which i think is why we were held out so convincingly, we were way too easy to mark up.
Thoughts?

ToiletDuck_old

I'd agree with most of what he says, actually I'd agree with all of it. We really could get some more depth + pace in to the attack, and try running it a few times on the last instead of a 50/50 bomb.

Moon could also be involved a bit more in the set attacking plays, it can't fall to Stacey every time..

He's right though..Luckman is the man, I feel safer with him in the team.

DanKokoro_old

He's right though..Luckman is the man, I feel safer with him in the team.

Same, way safer. Looks like he's starting to work on his offload too. He looked desperate to get one away in the first 20 of the Souths game. That would add another dimension to his game.

Agreed about Moon.. he doesn't HAVE to try bust the line every time he gets the ball, even though i rate him with ball in hand.

kiwi-born_old

Yeah some good points raised.

We had alota depth in attack last year. I just think give the team time, coz there are alota players who need the time to gel and then once that happens our attacking options and depth will open up a bit more.

There is defs too much reliance on kicks as the last option. Last year there was more balance and we used our wingers more next year. but once we get our Pricey, Hoahai, Ben and Manu back it'll be a bit betta. I'd just like to see more creativity in attack and the exciting attacking options we had last year, with use of the wings and fullback rather than just kicks everytime.

Jesbass_old

I remember in our first dominant era, (2002, 2003), we'd often use a deep running prop on an angle, (often Villasanti), when attacking from 10m out. It was almost impossible to stop.

bigstuboy_old

maybe thats the halves responsibility they are suppose to be organising the backline they should be ordering the guys to stay deep.

BringBackRovelli_old

It takes a lot of skill and confidence to be running onto the flat ball with pace, catch it and still be able to pass it on before the line. It`s ok if the receiver isn`t expected to pass, eg. a forward hitting it up, the wing on the end of a play, or just a runner put into a hole by the ball player. I think it`s always good to have depth for wingers on the open side, cos even if there`s a bomb coming, the winger wants to get there on the run. A lot of times bomb goes up, and our wingers are waiting under the ball standing still, have no momentum to jump for the ball.