Votes: 15 11.8%
  • B

Votes: 107 84.3%
  • C

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • F-

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
I was at the game, bay 39 upper east stand. The crowd were magnificent, really into the game and supporting the team. The relative silence of the ground announcer was heavenly, and the drummers joining in when the crowd organically broke into a chant was exactly what it should be, it reminded me of the old days.

Kudo's to Webster and the coaching staff for the last minute switcharoo with CHT on the bench at the expense of Lussick. Chanel was brilliant as others have said.

I thought in general we dominated them and created many more chances. I really like the contesting of the kicks and also the running the ball on the last tackle close to their line.

Wade Egan cut them to shreds. To shreds! Really impressed with his 80 shift and he makes a massive difference.

Our kick returns were fantastic. DWZ is fearless and the meters he made, along with the other outside backs, we instrumental in the victory.

Jackson Ford played his best game in a Warriors jersey that I can recall. I like the balance that he (and Capewah) brings to our pack to complement the ball playing of Tohu and Walker.

Marata and Bunty brought the hurt to the field when they joined the fray. I want them to play more minutes but the coach knows best and the result speaks for itself.

Roger was giving the Knights severe tests on every carry and deserves the plaudits. I am excited about our backline next week with CNK back. It is a real shame for Metcalf but having the luxury of CHT and TMM as options will see us avoid the dud-halves curse that Newcastle suffered.

I want to give special mention to the Pompadour. He took a lot of tough carrys out of our end and generally did his job well. Ali looks like a beast in reserve grade and probably offers more X Factor that "Wets", but Pompy held his gloves up well.

For Newcastle, Ponga was a constant threat and seems to ghost through the defensive line. I thought their hooker Brailey made a difference when he came on also.

Such a great night out at Mt Smart Stadium watching the mighty Warriors earn their second straight win!

My Game Review now that 24 hours have passed by

1) We got a call from the ref that reflected that we were 1 win and 2 losses when in the middle of an epic set for the ages Shaun shifted the ball legitimately to the wing and got done from a forward pass. They scored from the turn over and we go into the break 12-6 instead of 12-0 or even 18-0. When we have more of a winning record according to Wrighty's theory those calls will go in our favour.
At least they didn't put Chanel's try under a microscope which was a relief.

2) I thought Egan was a 9 out of ten. I am withholding giving him a full 10 as his service was inaccurate from dummy half and the forwards bursting on to the ball had to catch some passed behind them or over their heads. He was rusty and will be better next time and he warmed to his work throughout the night. Fanstastic draw and pass to set Chanel away under the sticks.

3) Ponga is the best Fullback in the world at the moment and should be representing Australia. It was a real pleasure to watch a master craftsman in action last night. And although he was on the opposition I am sure you all as fans of rugby league enjoyed what he put out there. I thought he was brilliant and the only criticism of him seems to be that he didn't call his own number more in the red zone.

4) Marata in his short stint made an impact on the bench and just when it looked like their bench was getting the upper hand Marata smoked two people in a row on a defensive set and on the next warriors possession we got the ball in good field position as as a result and marched up field and scored Montoya's try.

5) I think CHT should be our half in replacement of Metcalf but that said I am sure TMM will do an admirable job if asked to. Both of them will turn up on defence.

6) On Roger at fullback. We might not have won this match with Roger at centre and Taine at Fullback. Sliding doors I guess. Maybe Taine stops one of those grubber kick tries.

7) If AFB was playing hurt and on pain injections then that was one heck of a shift.

8) That was a very high quality NRL match we watched last night. New Castle were out to atone and lift from their semi final match against us. New Castle plays that like consistently and gets Brailey back to full and firing and they will beat most teams they play. The completion rates were 88% Warriors and 86% to the Knights. Very high quality match. The Warriors really have their hands full this year if each team is going to aim up against us like the Knights did last night.

9) The last 10 minutes protecting the lead. We need to get better. But for an amazing bat down by RTS they maybe complete the comeback and win that match. We CAN NOT afford to go quick play of the balls in the last ten minutes protecting a lead, looking at you Barnett, SLOW DOWN, don't worry about doing a great set and making good yardage. Just complete the set and get the kick away. Also no matter how tempting it is do not chase hero bar intercepts and giving away a line break when you miss, looking at you DWZ. Still despite all of that I thought we looked more composed than previous weeks.

10) Every year you need your coach to win you a game or two out of his or her bag of tricks. And last night was Webster's victory by the masterstroke of having CHT on the bench. Made Webster look like a genius. As I said in the pre-season, all of TMM, Metcalf, and CHT are relatively injury prone so it will sort itself out through raw availability who plays and we will need all of them.
On the CHT bomb that Montoya scored from; shout out to Egan realising SJ had been tackled and choosing to pass to the other half to see what Chanel could manufacture. Seems like a small decision that Egan made but I can see a less experienced hooker doing something else with the pill in that situation once the Alpha half wasn't available for the last play option.

1) We got a call from the ref that reflected that we were 1 win and 2 losses when in the middle of an epic set for the ages Shaun shifted the ball legitimately to the wing and got done from a forward pass. They scored from the turn over and we go into the break 12-6 instead of 12-0 or even 18-0. When we have more of a winning record according to Wrighty's theory those calls will go in our favour.

2) I thought Egan was a 9 out of ten. I am withholding giving him a full 10 as his service was inaccurate from dummy half and the forwards bursting on to the ball had to catch some passed behind them or over their heads. He was rusty and will be better next time and he warmed to his work throughout the night. Fanstastic draw and pass to set Chanel away under the sticks.

3) Ponga is the best Fullback in the world at the moment and should be representing Australia. It was a real pleasure to watch a master craftsman in action last night. And although he was on the opposition I am sure you all as fans of rugby league enjoyed what he put out there. I thought he was brilliant and the only criticism of him seems to be that he didn't call his own number more in the red zone.

4) Marata in his short stint made an impact on the bench and just when it looked like their bench was getting the upper hand Marata smoked two people in a row on a defensive set and on the next warriors possession we got the ball in good field position as as a result and marched up field and scored Montoya's try.

5) I think CHT should be our half in replacement of Metcalf but that said I am sure TMM will do an admirable job if asked to. Both of them will turn up on defence.

6) On Roger at fullback. We might not have won this match with Roger at centre and Taine at Fullback. Sliding doors I guess. Maybe Taine stops one of those grubber kick tries.

7) If AFB was playing hurt and on pain injections then that was one heck of a shift.

8) That was a very high quality NRL match we watched last night. New Castle were out to atone and lift from their semi final match against us. New Castle plays that like consistently and gets Brailey back to full and firing and they will beat most teams they play. The completion rates were 88% Warriors and 86% to the Knights. Very high quality match. The Warriors really have their hands full this year if each team is going to aim up against us like the Knights did last night.

9) The last 10 minutes protecting the lead. We need to get better. But for an amazing bat down by RTS they maybe complete the comeback and win that match. We CAN NOT afford to go quick play of the balls in the last ten minutes protecting a lead, looking at you Barnett, SLOW DOWN, don't worry about doing a great set and making good yardage. Just complete the set and get the kick away. Also no matter how tempting it is do not chase hero bar intercepts and giving away a line break when you miss, looking at you DWZ. Still despite all of that I thought we looked more composed than previous weeks.

10) Every year you need your coach to win you a game or two out of his or her bag of tricks. And last night was Webster's victory by the masterstroke of having CHT on the bench. Made Webster look like a genius. As I said in the pre-season, all of TMM, Metcalf, and CHT are relatively injury prone so it will sort itself out through raw availability who plays and we will need all of them.
On the CHT bomb that Montoya scored from; shout out to Egan realising SJ had been tackled and choosing to pass to the other half to see what Chanel could manufacture. Seems like a small decision that Egan made but I can see a less experienced hooker doing something else with the pill in that situation once the Alpha half wasn't available for the last play option.
Agree with most Wrighty.
The fact is most if not all halves are under injury pressure being smaller and attract bigger forwards running at them
E.G. Ponga didn't last long in the 6 jersey

Might as well call these threads the weekly Bunty Ale Jazz loop.

Spose there is a bit to talk about at standoff with TMM being a genuine contender for that
Jersey or whether CHT keeps it and TMM then has an in via the bench.

Prefer Freddy to the bench if CHT is playing stand off. TMM to the bench is not like for like if CHT is starting.

Lots to talk about after all I guess.

Reactions: kos
Agree with most Wrighty.
The fact is most if not all halves are under injury pressure being smaller and attract bigger forwards running at them
E.G. Ponga didn't last long in the 6 jersey
Thanks John. I actually didn't know, hadn't thought about your point and liked reading it. Appreciate the perspective you and others bring who have actually played.

1) That was a momentum killer eh, the energy we had it was gonna be 18:0 at halftime, instead it became a deflating 6 point lead almost a tie going into the sheds

9) Run to the corner like soccer lol. They need to introduce more cramps and “injuries” to waste time in the last 5-7 minutes

If they sort out the FB’s positions on kick behind grubbers and put them in try saving positions our D would be championship caliber, oh and the 2 brain snaps per last 10 minutes of the game, maybe try cut it down to 1 next time and progress, you need a 14-point buffer for 2 brain snaps

Kinda surprised at the backlash after someone posting about AFBs muted celebrations.

Some might have a short memory, but similar things were brought up last year about 2 or 3 weeks before we heard word that he requested a release.

No one's saying there's anything sinister behind it 100%, but man it makes me wonder. Certainly worth pointing out as a talking point at the very least. Seems kinda mad that this is essentially what happened last year yet there's so many making it sound like an outlandish observation
I think it is fairly outlandish tbh......there was a lot of sore and tired bodies after that fulltime hooter went, the only one really hollering it up when that final whistle went was Chanel. Credit to the Knights really they we're hitting hard and kept the intensity up all game.....at no stage were we allowed drop off in that match.....that looked like a very relieved, battered,.... and tired Warriors side at fulltime. I actually noticed in a few of his early hit ups Addin getting up a bit ginger and he was also on the bench a bit longer than he normally is......and as someone mentioned he was already getting needles before the game.......if fans want to put 3 and 1 together based on body language id imagine that combined with just playing a hard out bruising encounter a more realistic explanation for not clapping loud enough rather than something more sinister that you guys are alluding to.

Its already settled hes going, everyone knows......if he wasnt putting in on the field then id be concerned, but he clearly is.

Last edited:
I dont think it is a talking point tbh......there was a lot of sore and tired bodies after that fulltime hooter went, the only one really hollering it up when that final whistle went was Chanel. Credit to the Knights really they we're hitting hard and kept the intensity up all game.....at no stage could we drop off in that match.....that looked like a very relieved, battered,.... and tired Warriors side at fulltime. I actually noticed in a few of his early hit ups Addin getting up a bit ginger and he was also on the bench a bit longer than he normally is......and as someone already mentioned he was already getting needles before the game.......if fans want to put 3 and 1 together based on body language id imagine that combined with just playing a hard out bruising encounter a more realistic explanation for not clapping loud enough rather than something more sinister than you guys are alluding to.

Its already settled hes going, everyone knows......if he wasnt putting in on the field then id be concerned, but he clearly is.

Thought he came on again because we were unsure if we can protect that 12 point lead, Webby probably would have preferred to rest him more if we had a bigger lead

And I don’t know if he wants to sing loud and stuff when the ribs injection is probably wearing off

AFB was ginger as in his first stint after he got gang tackled, he was getting checked in the background for a while, stayed on but definitely passed on note than usual. Still put out big numbers and came back on and was good ( needle?). Never shirked his work.

Only AFB can pull in 3 defenders and not lose ground

Bunty needs to get his shot together and learn from the boss or we’re screwed in the tight grinds next season

Boys were smacked after the game. Left it all on the field. Couldn’t have asked for anything more. Rest and recover.

Would like to know what everyone's thoughts are on our attack? Why aren't we ever going out the back? Is it safety first early in the season? Waiting for CNK to return?
We're still throwing up the same shapes on attack with the option of hitting those runners out the back. The try that Ford scored yesterday had Chanel out the back which had (i think) Gamble over read and created the space for SJ to hit the lead runner (Ford) instead. Addins beautifully crafted try the other week had 2 sweepers out the back while he hit it short. I think the shapes are great as it allows SJ to play whats in front of him.

I think so far this season the out the back option hasnt been as effective cause defences are generally chasing out and have it covered. Two fold reason for this from what i see. Egans missed a bit of footy so far and we havent been engaging the A and B defenders (Egans real strength) allowing them to drift straight away. And secondly it took a bit of time for Taupiki to find his timing on the sweep......those early games he was taking the ball from a standing start as opposed to at pace which is what Nicol Klockstad what doing so well last season.

I think if we can keep Egan on the field and once we get Charnze back and some settled combo's on the edges, we'll start seeing more fruit going out the back.

We're still throwing up the same shapes on attack with the option of hitting those runners out the back. The try that Ford scored yesterday had Chanel out the back which had (i think) Gamble over read and created the space for SJ to hit the lead runner (Ford) instead. Addins beautifully crafted try the other week had 2 sweepers out the back while he hit it short. I think the shapes are great as it allows SJ to play whats in front of him.

I think so far this season the out the back option hasnt been as effective cause defences are generally chasing out and have it covered. Two fold reason for this from what i see. Egans missed a bit of footy so far and we havent been engaging the A and B defenders (Egans real strength) allowing them to drift straight away. And secondly it took a bit of time for Taupiki to find his timing on the sweep......those early games he was taking the ball from a standing start as opposed to at pace which is what Nicol Klockstad what doing so well last season.

I think if we can keep Egan on the field and once we get Charnze back and some settled combo's on the edges, we'll start seeing more fruit going out the back.
The depth and width is taught as a 7 year old.
Combined with the face ball has been a factor in AFB tries.
This year and last

The depth and width is taught as a 7 year old.
Combined with the face ball has been a factor in AFB tries.
This year and last
What i like with our shapes (when they work well) is theres no such thing as decoy runners. We'll have twin lead runners, a sweeper out the back, our outsides running their lines and their all live. Pending on what the defence does any of them could be a target, so their all running with purpose expecting the ball......the defence is stretched with multiple threats.....thing of beauty when it comes off.

Great post mate, a good point that teams and most likely covering the out the back play first as we took that option the majority of the time last year

No but it's the only way for players outside the team to force their way on.

The coaches will put a lot of weight on a classy performance from TMM.

I expect him to be named at 6 to face Souths - CHT to 14.
Sensible to have cover for Egan especially

As everyone has mentioned Capewell was strong yesterday. He does a lot of clean up work and also a lot of little effort plays.

One thing I noticed was he is the main guy pressuring the kicker.

He did hit the kicker a few times who then fell over. He's an experienced player so probably knows what he can get away with. I was thinking some trigger happy referee one week may ping him for it.

Back