General Attack Or Defence?

If you had to chose. Which one is needed most to win games?

• Total voters
You need a good balance across your squad. With the salary cap it makes it very difficult to stack a team like the Kangroos or the AB's are stacked. So you need to make sure the players you have are complementing each other, and are creating opportunities for the game breakers on attack. Every time Roger Tuivasa-Sheck finds himself in space there needs to be a support runner with a clear goal line in front of him. That kind of thing.

Defense is more about attitude and communication. Any player can be a great defender if they put in the effort. But it seems like all our guys are saving their energy for attack, so they can add to their highlights reels and bump up their contract rates. That's a losing strategy for the team, but can be very profitable for an individual.

It was interesting watching Dugan playing on through all kinds of pain in what was ultimately a loss for the sharks this weekend. Shaun Johnson must have been amazed at that level of commitment, while he sat in the stands with a minor strain.

I've certainly never seen a Warriors player with that level of commitment to the team while Shaun Johnson was with us. We've got guys like Kata faking eye injuries while the opposition are scoring points against us. He needs to give himself and uppercut, while the club gives him a pay cut.
The Crusaders can run a bunch of reserves out an still win matches .
They regularly rest their top players .An still maintain their standard of football
Its not a fluke ..They are incredibly smart .an scientific about mindset an preparation
Read Richie's book he studied how to be a captain an the physiological aspects of
Pressure ..Its not just about being a good player ..Look what happened to our team when
They listened to Keiren Read last season .
There is knowledge out there we just are not asking the questions .

Reactions: 1 users
Every time Roger Tuivasa-Sheck finds himself in space there needs to be a support runner with a clear goal line in front of him.

But it seems like all our guys are saving their energy for attack, so they can add to their highlights reels and bump up their contract rates.
I honestly think this is part of our game plan not an individual thing.

As a team we don’t support the ball runner - it on the coaching strategy to have planned moves with support runners.

It also seems like a tactic to have the back 5 bring the ball back and the forwards saving themselves for defence.

You need a good balance across your squad. With the salary cap it makes it very difficult to stack a team like the Kangroos or the AB's are stacked. So you need to make sure the players you have are complementing each other, and are creating opportunities for the game breakers on attack. Every time Roger Tuivasa-Sheck finds himself in space there needs to be a support runner with a clear goal line in front of him. That kind of thing.

Defense is more about attitude and communication. Any player can be a great defender if they put in the effort. But it seems like all our guys are saving their energy for attack, so they can add to their highlights reels and bump up their contract rates. That's a losing strategy for the team, but can be very profitable for an individual.

It was interesting watching Dugan playing on through all kinds of pain in what was ultimately a loss for the sharks this weekend. Shaun Johnson must have been amazed at that level of commitment, while he sat in the stands with a minor strain.

I've certainly never seen a Warriors player with that level of commitment to the team while Shaun Johnson was with us. We've got guys like Kata faking eye injuries while the opposition are scoring points against us. He needs to give himself and uppercut, while the club gives him a pay cut.
Report from the sharks coach post match that Shaun Johnson wanted to play, but ruled out by coach and medical staff because they didn’t want to risk making the injury worse. Dugan was indeed gritty but let’s not forget that switching a player due to injury doesn’t affect interchange / bench space, whereas taking a player off during the game does. Please don’t make this another avenue for bashing Shaun Johnson, plenty of that going on already, although good to see the sharks coach doesn’t agree

The Crusaders can run a bunch of reserves out an still win matches .
They regularly rest their top players .An still maintain their standard of football
Its not a fluke ..They are incredibly smart .an scientific about mindset an preparation
Read Richie's book he studied how to be a captain an the physiological aspects of
Pressure ..Its not just about being a good player ..Look what happened to our team when
They listened to Keiren Read last season .
There is knowledge out there we just are not asking the questions .
All SK has to do is ask.

And I'll be more than happy to down load all my knowledge into his brain.

Report from the sharks coach post match that Shaun Johnson wanted to play, but ruled out by coach and medical staff because they didn’t want to risk making the injury worse. Dugan was indeed gritty but let’s not forget that switching a player due to injury doesn’t affect interchange / bench space, whereas taking a player off during the game does. Please don’t make this another avenue for bashing Shaun Johnson, plenty of that going on already, although good to see the sharks coach doesn’t agree
These guys regularly endure impacts equilivant to a 60kph car crash without any problems. I'm sure they can handle a few bad words thrown their way surely. They aren't snowflakes.

gpred

Contributor
Mathematically the answer is either will do. You win the game if,

Your points - Your Opponents points > 0

So you can either increase your points, or reduce your opponents. From this perspective a try scored is exactly equivalent to a try saved.

So if you had to choose one, the correct answer would be the one you can improve the most :)

Reactions: 1 users
Any strategy that wins, is a winning strategy.

That's mine, but if anyone wants to quote me on it, go right ahead.

Reactions: 2 users
Any strategy that wins, is a winning strategy.
Depends on the strategy. To play the devils advocate:

Kearney’s strategy is to win the comp long term and it could be argued that losing a few games short term, allows him to ultimately win. Therefore a strategy that loses could ultimately be a winning strategy😈

Hopefully this is our strategy this year

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You aren't going to win the comp with one and not the other.

So, if the warriors aren't going to win the comp, I'd rather be entertained by a highlights reel of amazing tries, than amazing try savers

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on the strategy. To play the devils advocate:

Kearney’s strategy is to win the comp long term and it could be argued that losing a few games short term, allows him to ultimately win. Therefore a strategy that loses could ultimately be a winning strategy😈

Hopefully this is our strategy this year
If this was their strategy then they've executed it perfectly so far.

Good attack drains your opponents ability to defend. You need both.

Defence wins championships in the NFL - a game that does not have fatigue.

When I'm coaching kids, I spend roughly 70% of the training time on defence and 30% on attack. Attack comes naturally to most players whereas defence usually has to be taught but more importantly, from U10s onwards, the scoring team receives the ball back from the kickoff. As a result, the poorer your team is at defending, the more time they'll spend on defence.

Reactions: 2 users