Player Ata Hingano

Chchfanatic

Tui and Carlos have really kicked on since they left. I want players who want to stay and fight. Just cause someone is supposedly better than me. I’m glad he’s gone, just another kid not up to first grade.

Reactions: 2 users
Fazz

Fazz

It's almost like you should win a place on merit and not tenure ...

Carlos - could not fucking defend to save himself. Regardless of where he was put, he was a turnstile. That includes at least one NSW Cup game I saw.
Tui - could not fucking defend to save himself. Admitted to losing all motivation when he wasn't given his chose position (a spot he had no business in due to lack of kicking, tackling or passing game)
Ata - probably the most hard-done-by of the three, but whatever. If he didn't want to force his way into the team, goodbye. Lets not forget Johnson had to play some NSW Cup before Seymour became too much of a liability. He took his chance with both hands and forced coach to make him the first choice half.

Have there been mistakes made by management? Of course. As a club we've been fucking up since 2011. Have the players themselves been entitled brats? You bet your ass. More than anything, having thought about this, it just tells me we have an issue with juniors not learning how to defend and being incredibly entitled.

Again, as much shit as Johnson gets, he's put in a lot of work to become at least a middle of the road defender. As somebody that's been following him since his u20's debut, it's easy to see how much effort has been made. He's no Pearce or Johns in defence, but he's better than Thurston, Maloney and a couple of other elite halves.

Reactions: 19 users
Weno

Weno

Good luck Ata.
May your career be blessed with the change.
You don't have to wait anymore.
Take your chance and keep it when it comes.
You have time with you at 20.

Reactions: 1 users
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

Mt Wellington has posted about Kearney having favourites. A good coach should not do that, a good manager should not do that. He might have had it done to him when he was a junior in Sydney but if that was a reason Ata left that isn't good.

What's wrong with favourites? Every coach has them. Bennett carries his to every club!!!!

It's a core of players who you know will do the job or even players who just have a good attitude. No big deal.

Reactions: 5 users
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

I think you are reading way too much into what Hingano said. Too many people getting WAY too defensive about the situation the Warriors are in. If it makes you all feel better to label him arrogant or take offence to his decision to leave the club, then go ahead. However you are searching for confirmation bias in the article.

I never said he was arrogant. And I'm not offended. I'm just saying I feel that young guys in the NRL get told they're the next big thing and it creates delusions of grandeur too early. When the best option might be to stay and earn your way. In this instance he is obviously going to have a better chance of FG time here, than over there now that Roache is out, considering he has already played 11 games in FG last year. Wouldn't you agree? I'm telling you he will be lucky to see the pine in FG over there.

And some of his words 'were' pointed at the coach. He should have had some support helping him to gather his thought before speaking.

• Haha

flying coconut

Lol he is the definition of an average journeyman half.

All he did was a a bit of organising and kicking, DCE and tommy turbo ran that team.

Bruh he’s 20 years old..

What evidence would you like me to give you? Video, photographic evidence?

Nathan Cleary is 20 as well mate.

flying coconut

What evidence would you like me to give you? Video, photographic evidence? Why dont you read Hinganos exit interview if you want to see what his attitude is like.

CNK is far more talented than Ata and he just wants to work hard and force his way into the team. That's because he has the right attitude.

Nathan Cleary is 20 as well mate.

Reactions: 1 user

Chchfanatic

Carlos - could not fucking defend to save himself. Regardless of where he was put, he was a turnstile. That includes at least one NSW Cup game I saw.
Tui - could not fucking defend to save himself. Admitted to losing all motivation when he wasn't given his chose position (a spot he had no business in due to lack of kicking, tackling or passing game)
Ata - probably the most hard-done-by of the three, but whatever. If he didn't want to force his way into the team, goodbye. Lets not forget Johnson had to play some NSW Cup before Seymour became too much of a liability. He took his chance with both hands and forced coach to make him the first choice half.

Have there been mistakes made by management? Of course. As a club we've been fucking up since 2011. Have the players themselves been entitled brats? You bet your ass. More than anything, having thought about this, it just tells me we have an issue with juniors not learning how to defend and being incredibly entitled.

Again, as much shit as Johnson gets, he's put in a lot of work to become at least a middle of the road defender. As somebody that's been following him since his u20's debut, it's easy to see how much effort has been made. He's no Pearce or Johns in defence, but he's better than Thurston, Maloney and a couple of other elite halves.
I still don’t know how he put Sam Burgess on his arse. One of my favourite hits of all time.

Dunedin warrior

It’s ironic that Hingano is being bagged for leaving the warriors, when we have signed at least four players who have been released from contracts to play for us this year. No mention of them having attitude problems.

Reactions: 1 users
snake77

snake77

It’s ironic that Hingano is being bagged for leaving the warriors, when we have signed at least four players who have been released from contracts to play for us this year. No mention of them having attitude problems.
Sssh one clubs reserve grader or washed up star is another clubs savior and superstar. You are only suppose to talk about when we release players. Don't bring balance and reasoning into the discussion.

I never said he was arrogant. And I'm not offended. I'm just saying I feel that young guys in the NRL get told they're the next big thing and it creates delusions of grandeur too early. When the best option might be to stay and earn your way. In this instance he is obviously going to have a better chance of FG time here, than over there now that Roache is out, considering he has already played 11 games in FG last year. Wouldn't you agree? I'm telling you he will be lucky to see the pine in FG over there.

And some of his words 'were' pointed at the coach. He should have had some support helping him to gather his thought before speaking
A lot of this will be due to how much recruitment has changed over the last 25 years since when league went from semi professional to full time. Clubs recruit a lot more now compared to this is my squad with one or two guys to improve the squad or replace a retired player. That change also coincides with the job market where people move around a lot more each generation more so than the last.

A club your not at can present a picture of better opportunities like a prospective employer going on about work life balance and training opportunities. Problem is you need to move to see if those promises ring true or not.

You raise a good point about Roache. The way Hingano described things it came off like things move quickly around the last trial. We haven't heard if he was seen as dummy half cover or not this year or if the coaching staff only saw him as a half and wanted him developing in the lower grades. Also the timing around Roache confirmation of Roache being out and Hingano leaving. You would suspect they were waiting on results for Roache so they knew it was coming.

mrblonde

mrblonde

If you guys don't know Stephen Kearney is the worst coach going around in the NRL right now you are deluding yourselves. That is fact...

The stats certainly don't tell porkies, mt.wellington.

But those of us who wanted to stick with Stephen Kearney - it's academic, now, obviously for 2018 - hang our hats on the phrase "right now".

The white flag will be raised if we bomb out again and Kearney's fingerprints are on the murder weapon.

Yeah I understand what happened, I just don' get why the club lets people walk way from signed contracts just because they are sooky about having some competition. It sets a bad precedent. Harden up and play for your place.

I'd agree except that where the under-contract player shows quite publically that he's not happy standing in line behind that new player, I think it's better to cut your losses and say "Thank you and goodbye."

As others have pointed out, Green could bomb out due to injury or form, therefore giving Hingano his oppurtunity. I'd accept the situation from Ata's viewpoint if there was another top class - or thereabouts - five-eigth signed in three years (or Green re-signed) and Ata had had virtually no NRL games in the interim, but this isn't the case here. He's had one year tutoring from Foran (any goss/word as to how well that went, by the way? I ask because I'm reminded of the Warriors official who had nothing but negative things to say about Foran) and evidently is still in the building phase.

He's either very self-confident or deluded that he thinks he's capable of regular NRL footy. Why else would he move if it's not for one of those two reasons (Stuart doesn't coach the ISP team, after all)? It's not family.

Yes, other players have probably done the same thing to come here. So, we're inconsistant at best, hypocritical at worst. So sue us, we're sports fans.

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

In Tui's defence, he made some remarkable try saving tackles. Long range run-downs and cutting a few down just before the line. But overall, you're right. On the other hand, Johnson has let a few sitters through. I dont hqve much opinion on Ata's defence. Havent seen enough to know. But I have to say Im not phased he is gone. He didnt scream future star to me.

Reactions: 3 users
Fazz

Fazz

In Tui's defence, he made some remarkable try saving tackles. Long range run-downs and cutting a few down just before the line. But overall, you're right. On the other hand, Johnson has let a few sitters through. I dont hqve much opinion on Ata's defence. Havent seen enough to know. But I have to say Im not phased he is gone. He didnt scream future star to me.

Nah, that's fairly man. I do remember those now that you mention it. I was more thinking of his shirt grabbiness when he wasn't at fullback.

I'm pretty much the same as you on Hingano's D ... not bad or good. Just there. I'm not too worried he's gone either. He's never really blown me away like Shaun Johnson when he was younger. I'd even say I'm more taken with Lino because of his tackling and short kicking game tbh (Still think Lino would be an awesome hooker)

Reactions: 4 users
eric

eric

From the Herald:

Hingano's exit clause

Former Warriors young gun Ata Hingano may have joined the Raiders on a reduced two-year deal but he has a release clause in his favour if things don't go to plan.

The 20-year-old will start the season in reserve grade and will look to force his way into the Ricky Stuart coached side either in the halves or at hooker, but he can choose to exit at the end of the season if opportunities don't come his way.

The Tongan international passed up an offer to join the Storm last season but plenty of other clubs are sure to come knocking if he did look to leave Canberra.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
he passed up a chance to play with the storm? Now i know hes a nut.

Reactions: 8 users
Sup42

Sup42

The Storm wouldn't have suited him anyway ....it's even harder to get into fg than the Warriors.

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Strikes me as a pretentious little git to force a release clause if he doesnt achieve. So full of himself, he already thinks he has earned first grade. He stinks of the attitude we all want gone from the Warriors. Suits me fine that he left. I have him pegged as another up and coming superstar who will never make it. He should remember he has only ever been first grade injury cover, as well as in a phenomena of a Tonga team that will never be replicated. He was only 1 player in that team. The team as a whole was what got them to the levels they achieved, not just him.

Reactions: 5 users
Defence

Defence

Named on the bench for the raiders this week in place of Austin.
Could possibly start as sezer is under an injury cloud.

Reactions: 7 users