Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Huh? Unemployment was at 3.9% when Labour took over from National / Act at the last election.

It’s 3.5% now with forecasts by treasury to go up to 4.8% next year as the reserve bank slows the economy.

And the definition of unemployed is a moving beast…
Yeah good one - unemployment was as nearly as high as 7% under the last National government
Of course the GFC was used as an excuse - but naturally the Labour Government are not allowed to blame the pandemic for the state of the economy...

Fix NZ.
Cure for Lawlessness in NZ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Singapore?wprov=sfti1

Singaporean law allows caning to be ordered for over 35 offences, including hostage-taking/kidnapping, robbery, gang robbery with murder, rioting, causing grievous hurt, drug abuse, vandalism, extortion, voyeurism, sexual abuse, molestation (outrage of modesty), and unlawful possession of weapons. Caning is also a mandatory punishment for certain offences such as rape, drug trafficking, illegal moneylending, and for foreigners who overstay by more than 90 days – a measure designed to deter illegal immigrants.

While most of Singapore's laws on offences punishable by caning were inherited from the British legal system through the Indian Penal Code, the Vandalism Act was only introduced in 1966 after independence, in what has been argued to be an attempt by the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) to suppress the opposition's activities in the 1960s because opposition supporters vandalised public property with anti-PAP graffiti. Vandalism was originally prohibited by the Minor Offences Act, which made it punishable by a fine of up to S$50 or a week in jail, but did not permit caning. Today, the Vandalism Act imposes a mandatory caning sentence of between three and eight strokes for a conviction of vandalism. Caning is not imposed on first-time offenders who use delible substances (e.g. pencil, crayon, chalk) to commit vandalism.

Beginning in the 1990s, the higher courts have been more inclined to impose caning sentences in cases where caning is a discretionary punishment. For example, in 1993, an 18-year-old molester was initially sentenced to six months' imprisonment but he appealed against his sentence. Chief Justice Yong Pung How not only dismissed his appeal, but also added three strokes of the cane to the sentence. This precedent set by the Chief Justice became a benchmark for sentences in molestation cases, where the court is expected to sentence a molester to at least nine months' imprisonment and three strokes of the cane if the offence involves touching the victim's private parts.

Part 1

part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Fix NZ.
Cure for Lawlessness in NZ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Singapore?wprov=sfti1

Singaporean law allows caning to be ordered for over 35 offences, including hostage-taking/kidnapping, robbery, gang robbery with murder, rioting, causing grievous hurt, drug abuse, vandalism, extortion, voyeurism, sexual abuse, molestation (outrage of modesty), and unlawful possession of weapons. Caning is also a mandatory punishment for certain offences such as rape, drug trafficking, illegal moneylending, and for foreigners who overstay by more than 90 days – a measure designed to deter illegal immigrants.

While most of Singapore's laws on offences punishable by caning were inherited from the British legal system through the Indian Penal Code, the Vandalism Act was only introduced in 1966 after independence, in what has been argued to be an attempt by the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) to suppress the opposition's activities in the 1960s because opposition supporters vandalised public property with anti-PAP graffiti. Vandalism was originally prohibited by the Minor Offences Act, which made it punishable by a fine of up to S$50 or a week in jail, but did not permit caning. Today, the Vandalism Act imposes a mandatory caning sentence of between three and eight strokes for a conviction of vandalism. Caning is not imposed on first-time offenders who use delible substances (e.g. pencil, crayon, chalk) to commit vandalism.

Beginning in the 1990s, the higher courts have been more inclined to impose caning sentences in cases where caning is a discretionary punishment. For example, in 1993, an 18-year-old molester was initially sentenced to six months' imprisonment but he appealed against his sentence. Chief Justice Yong Pung How not only dismissed his appeal, but also added three strokes of the cane to the sentence. This precedent set by the Chief Justice became a benchmark for sentences in molestation cases, where the court is expected to sentence a molester to at least nine months' imprisonment and three strokes of the cane if the offence involves touching the victim's private parts.

Part 1

part 2

Part 3

Part 4

One flaw in all this is they are Asians, In NZ you would be lucky to have 1% of Asians in Jail and back in my day Maori loved the cane! They would go out of their way to get It! 🤣

Yeah good one - unemployment was as nearly as high as 7% under the last National government
Of course the GFC was used as an excuse - but naturally the Labour Government are not allowed to blame the pandemic for the state of the economy...
The Reserve bank is actively slowing the economy and engineering further recessions and unemployment rising to 4.8% (all in treasury forecasts). Thats 5 years of Labours economic stagnation while the rest of the world has recovered:

- OCR NZ 5.5% (actively slowing economy) Australia 4% (neutral)
- inflation NZ 6.0% Australia 4.9%
- NZX50 still down 7% since start of covid; ASX200 up 0.01 since covid (effectively recovered)
- NZ government budget deficit $11.4b; Australia surplus of $22b
- current account deficit NZ $29.8 billion (7.5% of GDP) Australia $17b surplus

If we think crime, poverty, homelessness and a failing health system is bad now… the reserve banks just getting started in countering Labours economic management…

And here’s some independent economist for you:

Independent economist Cameron Bagrie “Forget about the next quarter. The issue is over the next two years, and the next five years,” Bagrie said. “In the absence of some very significant structural changes across the economy, we’re going to see the unemployment rate move up, and that is the price we are going to have to pay to get rid of inflation.”

Last edited:
The Reserve bank is actively slowing the economy and engineering further recessions and unemployment rising to 4.8% (all in treasury forecasts). Thats 5 years of Labours economic stagnation while the rest of the world has recovered:

- OCR NZ 5.5% (actively slowing economy) Australia 4% (neutral)
- inflation NZ 6.0% Australia 4.9%
- NZX50 still down 7% since start of covid; ASX200 up 0.01 since covid (effectively recovered)
- NZ government budget deficit $11.4b; Australia surplus of $22b
- current account deficit NZ $29.8 billion (7.5% of GDP) Australia $17b surplus

If we think crime, poverty, homelessness and a failing health system is bad now… the reserve banks just getting started in countering Labours economic management…

And here’s some independent economist for you:

Australia inflation increased to 5.2 I think as announced yesterday

A lot of the minor parties are acting like a wealth tax will fix everything. Sure you get more money coming in but as a government, it is still what you do with it and making it effective.

I would have liked more discussion on the tax brackets and adjusting them for inflation. I remember first hearing that during Clark's Labour government. I think it got pushed aside as we were going into the GFC. Or that was convenient.

Even Ardern's tax committee looked at this but was likely wanting to implement bigger things.

At this rate I can see people prosing adjusting the tax brackets again in another 10 years.

So we have more protesting in Wellington. Led by the Tamaki's who are trying to get into government themselves.

It would be a huge mess but it would be hilarious for them to get voted in and have to put up with protestors as they can't magically fix everything.

A lot of the minor parties are acting like a wealth tax will fix everything. Sure you get more money coming in but as a government, it is still what you do with it and making it effective.

I would have liked more discussion on the tax brackets and adjusting them for inflation. I remember first hearing that during Clark's Labour government. I think it got pushed aside as we were going into the GFC. Or that was convenient.

Even Ardern's tax committee looked at this but was likely wanting to implement bigger things.

At this rate I can see people prosing adjusting the tax brackets again in another 10 years.
What people like about a wealth tax (WT) is it takes "wealth" away from those targeted.

But there is no guarantee that money is then "given" to those who "deserve it". It's not like Robin Hood.... "stealing from the rich to give to the poor".... it's taking from those targeted to then go into the Government consolidated fund to then be used wherever the Budget requires it.

Greens and the Māori party have all the good intentions about closing the gap but unless that money raised in a WT goes solely to providing housing or benefits, etc. it's not closing the gap by also raising the living standards of the poorest in the country.

That's why some people see it as a tax of envy as it's not bringing one group down and another up.... it's "stealing from the rich to give it to the government".

And even if a wealth tax was introduced and all the money raised from it was used solely to raise the health, educational and living standards for the poorest, what would stop the following National/Act or a majority Labour government instead using the money raised by a WT to say, provide more roading, a second harbour bridge or tunnels under the harbour for Auckland, climate change resilience, drainage infrastructure, new ships to the Navy or planes/helicopters to the Air Force or weapons/vehicles to the Army, thousands more consultants, a new national Stadium.... or any one of thousands of other ways governments spend/waste money.

So we have more protesting in Wellington. Led by the Tamaki's who are trying to get into government themselves.

It would be a huge mess but it would be hilarious for them to get voted in and have to put up with protestors as they can't magically fix everything.

I made the mistake of heading out to get my chocolate milk from the supermarket just as they were heading down Willis St (where I work) - if there's any social media footage I'll be the one walking in the opposite direction through the procession trying to cross the road 😅

i’ve been downtown most of this afternoon, seems entirely uneventful, from what i’ve seen anyway.

sucks for all the poor idiots that travelled here only to unknowingly be background extras to make tamaki look good for his election campaign though.

you’d never know there was a protest of any sort unless you were at parliament or saw the short walk they did.

i’ve been downtown most of this afternoon, seems entirely uneventful, from what i’ve seen anyway.

sucks for all the poor idiots that travelled here only to unknowingly be background extras to make tamaki look good for his election campaign though.

you’d never know there was a protest of any sort unless you were at parliament or saw the short walk they did.
Did you notice the gang hikoi?

i know a few people who went to high school with her and apparently she’s absolutely batshit crazy.
but you gotta hand it to her, she’s a good sport!
I don't know her personally, but she is clearly intelligent and argues the case not the person.

This is the reality of wealth taxes:

As of 2017, five of the 36 OECD countries had a personal wealth tax down from 12 in 1990.

Now why is that? Everyone either gets around it or leaves the country. It doesn’t bring in much due to enforcement issues. it is extremely difficult to apply.

Belgium, Norway, Spain, and Switzerland are the main countries that raised revenue from net wealth taxes on individuals in 2019 with net wealth taxes accounting for 1.1% of overall tax revenues in Norway, 0.55% in Spain, and 3.6% in Switzerland for 2017.

Insignificant revenue for solving much poverty with such a difficult and divisive tax to apply.

Not that the Greens care…. They are busy spreading misinformation that a wealth tax will solve poverty while pretending to be the party of evidence based policy 🤣

Back