• They are Blind To The Reality That's Going On

• They Have Priorities That Are Making Onfield Performance Difficult

• They Are Neglecting Their Core Duties As Owners

• They Are Doing Everything As Well As They Can And It's Not Their Fault

Results are only viewable after voting.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
I met a guy who works for Autex, as a delivery driver, and he had nothing but praise for the owners of that company. He basically said he couldn't believe his luck that he happens to work for one of the best companies in NZ. It's very rare for a wage earning employee to be happy with their boss IMO.

That gives me a glimmer of hope that this will all work out.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
In an ideal world I guess you'd keep Brian Smith in his current role. Then have Graham Lowe in an ambassadorial role, being a figurehead promoting the club and schmoozing the corporates and others on match and sponsorship days
I think Graham Lowe involved in any capacity is enough to turn most people off. The thing that I am worried about is that the board is gone, Jim Doyle has gone too. That is a lot of intellectual know how that has left - business, NRL, Club knowledge. I have seen what happens to other businesses when that happens to them. I also think it says a lot about the ARL when Jim walks straight out of the joint on sale day.

Juno

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 2, 2018
I met a guy who works for Autex, as a delivery driver, and he had nothing but praise for the owners of that company. He basically said he couldn't believe his luck that he happens to work for one of the best companies in NZ. It's very rare for a wage earning employee to be happy with their boss IMO.

That gives me a glimmer of hope that this will all work out.

Yes, for all the talk on the other thread about 'red flags', 'fiduciary' matters, and other hyperbole designed to appear superior to everyone and as an excuse for a failed offer, pretty sure a successful company & owners of it would have done their due diligence. I doubt their involvement is emotionally driven as implied either - they are successful business people!
I think supporters who are worried about the CP trust & ARL can take heart that there appears to be these guys in the mix.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Well, on a slightly positive note, I guess these new owners now have a solid base to build from and fairly low expectations from fans. They only have to do some small thing marginally right and they will already be moving ahead of what most thought of them. I guess the down side is that they only have to do one dumb thing like announce G. Lowe has taken up some position with the club and it might be the little shift in weight that topples the bus over the cliff.

Maraea

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Well done to Mr Watson for keeping the place ticking over for so long. It would have been well for him to get a premiership but at least he can say he got 3 grades into a final in one year and a Toyota Cup. Good on him for keeping the ARL away for so long. Watson gave them the opportunity to focus on their job and have a long term goal of owning the club again one day - he ensured there was still one to buy. Thank you Mr Watson for the freebie tickets and keeping a professional league team in NZ. With all previous efforts of many though not always fruitful, we still have a game on Saturday to enjoy and a team in the top 4. Thanks for Kearney and Doyle. Though I guess Doyle may not be bothered with the ego gossipy shit politics ARL can pull and doesn't need to stick around for that.

I hope the warriors win many premiership. League is swings and roundabouts as are population shifts and fads. I am glad one of those new jokers mentioned junior players. I hope they figured out in all their years a good foundation, the bottom, supports the top. Without it the whole tower topples over. Good luck ARL

Last edited:

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Polls are so last year.

It's Lowe vs Smith live stream debate or nothing.

And it's a racist debate anyhow because the players would rather have a Pacific Islands Football Manager...

Surely if the ARL are serious about this semi-professional competition they'd stick with the ISP until the infrastructure (number of teams, competition format, funding, media coverage etc) is in place. Frankly, I can't see how the ARL can have a semi-professional comp that's not full of ex-ISP/fringe NRL players as the pubic/local league followers are going to expect a higher quality of game from the semi-professional comp than they would from the Fox Memorial (more time to train, money for playing etc, exposure to more advanced training ideas logic, whether those things actually occur or not).

Who wants to bet that A: The Semi-Professional Auckland Competition won't happen or B: It will happen but will involve 4 teams and not get any public traction and actually end up offering a no bigger pathway than already exists so gets scrapped? I really hope it happens and works as intended, but no money is being bet on a positive outcome.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Surely if the ARL are serious about this semi-professional competition they'd stick with the ISP until the infrastructure (number of teams, competition format, funding, media coverage etc) is in place. Frankly, I can't see how the ARL can have a semi-professional comp that's not full of ex-ISP/fringe NRL players as the pubic/local league followers are going to expect a higher quality of game from the semi-professional comp than they would from the Fox Memorial (more time to train, money for playing etc, exposure to more advanced training ideas logic, whether those things actually occur or not).
was listening to Cameron McGregor on Radiosport this morning. Saying that there is no pathway at the moment for amateur rugby league players to make their way to the NRL (incorrect), wants a semi professional competition to address this (if this is indeed the answer why didn't you do it before now?), wants players from this semi professional competition to be able to step up straight in to the NRL (what planet are you on? its not the 1990's anymore! ISP players still struggle with the step up)

All the talk so far from these guys makes me very fearfull of the damage the are going to do to the club (even if they think they have the best intentions)

I get the feeling that if all of this goes ahead in the way I think it will, we will struggle to be competitive and will have to rebuild what we have in place at present.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12044283

Five things the new Warriors owners should do

3 May, 2018 12:25pm
4 minutes to read
OEYQIRJCXNDU7KDSFT6IIWM4OI.jpg

Micheal Luck...a much-loved Warrior from Australia. Photo / Photosport
bd417927-2957-4e02-8f22-f9d4962cfc6b.png

By: Chris Rattue
Sports writer
chris.rattue@nzherald.co.nz

A memo to the Auckland Rugby League and Autex Industries who have just bought the NRL Warriors from Eric Watson.

1) Be realistic about what is needed to create great teams. All the talk from the ARL about creating pathways for local players into the Warriors is potentially concerning.

The Warriors operate in an NRL market, one in which many of the best players and all of the best competitions are across the ditch and always will be. Auckland can't produce a title-chasing team out of its own ranks, and why even try? Even Brisbane has given up on that concept and the best run club in NRL history, Melbourne, has an entirely imported team out of necessity.

The very best talent from this city and country, including those developed by the Warriors, will always be lured away at times. It's called the free market, which plays by its own rules.

In turn, the Warriors must always be on the lookout for great players and prospects from Australia and even England. Aussies like Micheal Luck, Kevin Campion, James Maloney, Nathan Friend, Brent Webb and Steve Price have added a huge amount to the club.

Imagine what mighty England forward Sam Burgess could have done for the Warriors. Returning Kiwis schooled across the Tasman — Ruben Wiki, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Tohu Harris — have been essential.

Many iconic Australian club players — from brilliant Cowboys back Johnathan Thurston to Sharks enforcer Paul Gallen — had journeys through other clubs. Warriors club legend Simon Mannering was a rugby player from Nelson. The rule is, you never know where the great first graders might spring from.

2) This subject sticks out like a sore pinky: White blokes continue to rule absolutely when it comes to the Warriors' ownership and administration. This does not reflect the make-up of the game or the lead the Warriors should take.

As former Kiwi netball boss Raelene Castle said about women in league before she headed to the Canterbury Bulldogs, why would a sport appear to ignore half of its audience? Hawaiian Richard Fale's Tonga-linked bid to buy the Warriors was a wake-up call because it reflected Polynesian business confidence and pride, something which should be regarded as the norm.

It is time for the Warriors to seriously consider this subject, and what they are going to do about it. Anyone who believes that only white men can run anything should take a good hard look at the history of the Warriors and the Blues.

3) Make a clear statement about the stadium situation.

To his credit, former chief executive and chairman Jim Doyle was unequivocal about this — he wanted a new waterfront stadium. It would simply be good to know what the Auckland Rugby League and Autex Industries think on this subject, even though major stadium changes in Auckland have hit a big road block.

If they are happy at Mt Smart, so be it. Do they intend taking games on the road, or (please no) make visits to Eden Park? The fans, city and sports community need to know what their vision and preferences are.

4) Keep Cameron George as the chief executive — this looks like a gimme. Fairly early days, but he is shaping as a gem. But the new owners need to stay out of making public comments around coaching appointments and performances. It is not their domain.

5) Move heaven and earth to get bigger crowds to Mt Smart Stadium.

Crowd numbers are far too reliant on team performance. But team performance is heavily reliant on crowd numbers. League is a gladiatorial sport in which a great atmosphere not only improves the game, but should favour the home side. Mt Smart is not the fortress it could be.

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2012
was listening to Cameron McGregor on Radiosport this morning. Saying that there is no pathway at the moment for amateur rugby league players to make their way to the NRL (incorrect), wants a semi professional competition to address this (if this is indeed the answer why didn't you do it before now?), wants players from this semi professional competition to be able to step up straight in to the NRL (what planet are you on? its not the 1990's anymore! ISP players still struggle with the step up)

Ugh, so it's goodbye to the ISP and Jersey Flegg sides then?

Maraea

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2013
Melbourne
If the current NRL is their (new owners) benchmark they are already way behind the 8 ball. Go to a local game and see what the coaching 101 classes teach. Just blame nzrl anyway. Best just to hope for ARL to be good stewards.

Last edited:

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2012
This is very worrying. I dont see how buying the Warriors helps what they are trying to achieve, wouldn't they of been better using the money to start this semi-professional comp.

Using the Warriors brand to promote the semi-prof comp I guess - but it's worrying that the best way to do that might be having the non-1st grade players in the Warriors squad play in that comp to boost it's profile.

Reactions: Johnnyray

leaguejunkie

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 20, 2016
The ARL (sorry I mean CPHT) can go ahead and start their semi-professional comp. I have no issues with the idea so long as such a comp draws on the talent at grassroots level and does not interfere with the Warriors ability to field teams in both ISP and Jersey Flegg. Jersey Flegg and ISP remain crucially important not only for the development of guys coming through the club, but also the Warrior's ability to recruit talent and maintain a competitive club environment.

WarriorBall

Ugh, so it's goodbye to the ISP and Jersey Flegg sides then?

Not ISP just the U20’s.

Just relaying what I heard but his thoughts were that the 20’s players would develop better playing along side men and that they’d use the money from the cost of running the Warriors Jersey Flegg side in and out of Australia to finance a semi professional comp in Auckland where every side has its own salary cap.

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
Using the Warriors brand to promote the semi-prof comp I guess - but it's worrying that the best way to do that might be having the non-1st grade players in the Warriors squad play in that comp to boost it's profile.

When owning an NRL team everything needs to be geared around one thing. The success of the NRL team, having goals that are detrimental to that are retarded and will lead to them losing money.

WarriorBall

If they took away the ISP team and dispersed those players through a local comp it would impact on first grade too greatly, they wouldn’t be able to run opposed sessions or develop combinations plus a raft of other issues it’d be one hell of a backwards step and I suspect they know that which is why only the U20’s have been talked about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eudebrito

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings