Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLQdyLIJJM4

Sounds like he regretted the whole SJ thing too (7 mins in).

Too ruthless indeed. More stupid, especially when the guys out of the country on international duty to mouth off. Blame on both sides but most lands on CG for me, huge respect to own it though. Has had a lot of faith put in him because there could have been a real bitterness out of that with us. I personally think we were in a premiership window after the 2018 season with a strong squad after good recruitment and losing SJ blew that to bits. Actually think it’s worked for best to be honest with SJ growing as a person in his time away and the club hitting lowly depths that were probably a real wake up call

Last edited:
I've had the same crazy /wishful thinking theory, since we signed Jfh.

I take the piss with conspiracies like that, but I'd like to point out that there's a massive prize for the first Coach to get the club a premiership.

1) You always remember the first.
2) Winning a premiership could be the spark to ignite mass popularity of league in this country. Just look how nuts everyone's going now.

Ego-wise, there's ALOT to win by helping guide this club to a premiership. Like, ALOT.

I really can't imagine SJ would have been willing to scale down his salary to where it needed to be. It would have seemed like a slap in the face.

I hate the way it all went down, but it all lead to a reconfiguration of the playing roster that had to happen for us to move forward. Gosh typing this is giving me horrific flashbacks of 1 million plus being tied up in prop-wings too.

I think SJ has a better understanding of how he fits into the Warriors now, and I think many have a greater appreciation of him.

I remember Ivan being pretty gutted when the club didn't want to commit.

Pure speculation, but what if one of the reasons is that he genuinely loved living here?

Conspiracy theory;

Ivan to retire.
Sets up Webby (his favourite assistant coach) with the tools for a premiership.
Whole family to move over.
Clearys are all assimilated into the club and go down as NZ league legends.

I'm not crazy, you're crazy.

View attachment 6738
Fkn gold!!!😂😂

Yeah I dunno about signing a Cleary.
Ivan will always do what is best for the Panthers, that is his job.
People giving Ivan attribution for the JFH signing are wistful imo, nostalgic.
I doubt Ivan had any part to play in that story apart from taking the news with good grace out of respect for the player.

If we sign son of Cleary, we will be wondering when the kid pulls the plug to go play for Dad the whole time he is here.

It would make sense for Ivan to farm his son out, knowing the Warriors would train him well in a similar system, away from the shadow of his older brother, away from the expectations of being a Cleary.

Ivan knows this is a player he can recall home just by picking up the phone....

I smell a Cuckoos nest job.

Webster may take on the project anyway, in the interests of keeping relations up with Ivan and the Panthers.

I remember Ivan being pretty gutted when the club didn't want to commit.

Pure speculation, but what if one of the reasons is that he genuinely loved living here?

Conspiracy theory;

Ivan to retire.
Sets up Webby (his favourite assistant coach) with the tools for a premiership.
Whole family to move over.
Clearys are all assimilated into the club and go down as NZ league legends.

I'm not crazy, you're crazy.

View attachment 6738
Just to add my 2 cent fully out the door not happening theory but…… Jett to the Wahs (but he’s nowhere near 1st grade yet) and Ivan to finish up at the Pennys and retire to NZ with the wife. But the kicker being Nate moves to UK to play for Wigan at years end and to shack up with the Mrs while she’s playing at Man City. Long distance luv’n only works for so long

Last edited:
I doubt Ivan had any part to play in that story apart from taking the news with good grace out of respect for the player.

If we sign son of Cleary, we will be wondering when the kid pulls the plug to go play for Dad the whole time he is here.

It would make sense for Ivan to farm his son out, knowing the Warriors would train him well in a similar system, away from the shadow of his older brother, away from the expectations of being a Cleary.

Webster may take on the project anyway, in the interests of keeping relations up with Ivan and the Panthers.

Our next 7 has to be a sure thing. More in the sense he commits to the club than being a gun. Jet one is interesting because Nathan is surely gonna ply for another decade easy. Jet could have a future here possibly.

I'm just loving the connection through penrith and the warriors! May the two clubs work together as long as possible.

Jett was the rumour last year, and it turned out to be Luke Hanson. Im taking that one with a grain of salt

Last time someone took anything in this thread with a grain of salt it came to fruition 40 minutes later though lol

Will repeat what I said when that came up the first time though- It could be good to get away from the pressure he will end up facing as he comes through the grades, and who better for Ivan to send him off to than his old mates Webby and Stace, add Capewell and Fish to that too now. Really don't think there would be a better place for him outside of staying in Penrith
Did jet and Hansen play together? If so that's cool!