Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
It would be better if we pinch him now into our system and grow into the FG role but it'd be better for him to be with family and mentor in dad's system but he probably won't join us for a while when he's ready

Always the possibility he wants to get away from family and we're like their feeder club now so who knows, everybody likes Webby especially the panthers

You've now got to spend 97.5% of your salary cap & there's only a $300k Veteran/Developed Player allowance so I don't see many players taking haircuts at their next contract.
Definitely can't see CNK taking less come 2026 considering it'll likely be his last substantial pay day, he would have had bugger all power as a reserve grader when negotiating his current one, & the fact he has developed his game to include a pass that was absent in Canberra
This stat (using 90% of the cap) was in place when Cleary was coaching which makes some of his results even more impressive. I remember Elliott taking over and being amazed at how much cap space was available. The figure he quoted wouldn't be looked at as much now but back then 600-800k was a decent chunk of the salary cap as it was between $4-5 million at the time.

I think this may have been a fallout from the salary cap issues. Can't be over if you are not spending it all. Also, the owner saving cash where now the cap is provided by the NRL grant.

The other thing with having to use pretty much all of the cap. When the club can't sign someone or have money left over we don't know how much is spent on upgrades for players already here. That is one thing they were doing with Johnson's cap after he left. It means trying to figure out what a club may have available can be quite tricky.

I remember Ivan being pretty gutted when the club didn't want to commit.

Pure speculation, but what if one of the reasons is that he genuinely loved living here?

Conspiracy theory;

Ivan to retire.
Sets up Webby (his favourite assistant coach) with the tools for a premiership.
Whole family to move over.
Clearys are all assimilated into the club and go down as NZ league legends.

I'm not crazy, you're crazy.

images (12).jpeg

Pure speculation, but what if one of the reasons is that he genuinely loved living here?

Conspiracy theory;

Ivan to retire.

View attachment 6738
sounds legit

It's an interesting list based on not what players achieved after they'd arrived here but the status they had before they did.

Amazing how our three best coaches have all been rockies..... Anderson, Cleary and Webby.
A fresh voice can be what’s required sometimes. Think people like Trent Robinson might be on borrowed time in their jobs for that reason

Conspiracy theory;

Ivan to retire.

View attachment 6738
I've had the same crazy /wishful thinking theory, since we signed Jfh. That Ivan still has love for the club. And wants us to win a premiership. Remember Webby was with Ivan @ The wahs as well. Ivan has done it all with the Riff. Nathan's childhood team was the Wahs. He was a wahs ballboy. Fav player was SJ. Jett still has mates back in NZ (Where he was born) that visit him in Oz.

We could get Jett now. And Nathan in 2026 when SJ calls it a day.

Ok. I'll wake up now 🤣