General Best NSW cup or Junior.

Who is the next Berrysiah? the next youngun that rules them all?

• Tanner Stowers Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kalani Going

• Paul Roache

• Setu Tu

• Moala Graham Taufa

• Total voters
Ali has a lot of talent and Laban reminds me of a young Matulino, but there is something a bit special about Halasima.

We haven’t produced a genuinely great junior since SJ, but he’s got that elite talent that you don’t see too often. He’s got that mixture of speed, footwork and work rate. Time will tell if he kicks on but I’m drooling over his talent.

Mate, they're just aren't a lot of props around in the younger grades and it's the hardest position to predict who will be suitable when they haven't fully grown yet. There's the gems like NAS, Tino and Haas but the rest you just don't know. And as props grow, they can get tall and lean and then you've got another 2nd row candidate. If they're mentally tough, it's usually because they were smaller than the rest and you end up with a Jazz, a valuable type of player that every team needs but not a prop.

I've watched players from outside of Auckland in the 15-16 grade group compete in the preseason but saw no props that I thought were worth the club taking a punt on yet. If there are any gems out in rural NZ that would be suitable and are actually playing union and\or league, I can promise you that the Warriors and the other NRL clubs have already seen them.

The club has done well picking up Bishop Neal, he could've got a contract anywhere. But they can train him daily for years, he's still only a 50/50 chance of being a first grader at best.
How can we not identify any giants but the Broncos have Hass, willison, te kura, and had flegler last season!

How can we not identify any giants but the Broncos have Hass, willison, te kura, and had flegler last season!
It's one thing to identify talent, but convincing them to come here rather than one of the other options they'd undoubtedly be offered is the challenge. We're becoming a more attractive destination but the lure of scholarships from the likes of Keebra Park are hard to resist for families that might see life across the tasman as a step up from where they are currently.

Fixed it

1000002377.jpg

Because we don't have giants playing league. The biggest teenagers I've seen are playing school rugby. And the Broncos catchment would be 10 times the size of ours.
I believe that we are simply in the birthing stages of our development system. Didn't Haas have time with us as a younger kid? I'm guessing but did Taumalolo? Or any other amazing but plays for other teams? JFH said he was told by us that he was too small. So I'm going in circles in my head

The Haas one is strange because the Warriors would have had nowhere to play him or a comp to play him in. Tuamalolo left Auckland at a really young age, I don't know that the Warriors were ever an option.

I know that JFH was overlooked by rep selectors but did the Warriors pass on him? He's a case in point though, there would be 1000s of forwards in the mens grades across Australia and 100s here that match his physical dimensions, which ones do the club take a punt on if they don't stand out at an early age before other clubs get them? Take the Kepu twins, the clubs investment in those two would be well into 6 figures but neither of them got close to first grade.

The development for the Warriors is the best I've ever seen it, they're still behind some of the other clubs but they're throwing a ton of resources at local development. The targets are changing because the game is changing. There's a good chance that you'll start seeing more caucasian players in the youth squads which hasn't happened in a while.

Anyone know if Toni Tupouniua is showing any signs of turning into his brother yet
I like him bro, obviously have not seen a lot
The Haas one is strange because the Warriors would have had nowhere to play him or a comp to play him in. Tuamalolo left Auckland at a really young age, I don't know that the Warriors were ever an option.

I know that JFH was overlooked by rep selectors but did the Warriors pass on him? He's a case in point though, there would be 1000s of forwards in the mens grades across Australia and 100s here that match his physical dimensions, which ones do the club take a punt on if they don't stand out at an early age before other clubs get them? Take the Kepu twins, the clubs investment in those two would be well into 6 figures but neither of them got close to first grade.

The development for the Warriors is the best I've ever seen it, they're still behind some of the other clubs but they're throwing a ton of resources at local development. The targets are changing because the game is changing. There's a good chance that you'll start seeing more caucasian players in the youth squads which hasn't happened in a while.

More diversity is a good thing in sport, or in any sphere.

Ironic that a few go on about woke this and that regarding diversity while hypocritically salivating over ethnic diversity when great white hopes appear.

Exciting times if we get more more balance in our gene pool in NZ league. Representation is important for fan buy in. Look at the Simon Mannering legacy.

Anywho forget all that, don't want to derail the thread regarding race, but hey just look at the Kiwis since they lost all their Pasifika Stars, they went on to prove they have a depth of players from other groups that otherwise may not have been uncovered (lets also not ignore that the Kiwis still rely on some of the best Pasifika players heavily, it is about balance).

Getting more Pakeha playing in the recent past seemed impossible, very pleased to see that might be changing, ultimately the greatest draw card is going to be having NZ Pakeha star players in a premiership winning Warriors set up.

I am wondering if League in NZ could compete with the draw card that is the NZ fight scene, the MMA scene, it seems to have taken over leagues mantle of being the sport the toughest White men play.

Just a left field Idea I have not really given much thought to.

Last edited:
Back