Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Interesting that wiremu greig is playing reserve grade this weekend- just re-signed last year- wouldn’t say no….
It’s interesting when u look around though- all these out of favor props- nas, lowrie, greig- all bigger guys probably struggling with the speed of the game- I’m sure it’s gotten even quicker this year- maybe these clubs are looking into the future and questioning their investment?
Of the three greig would come with the least risk being the youngest and cheapest.
I was impressed with the way he stepped up for the eels last year when Paulo and rcg were out.

I’ve been impressed with Ale so far this year.
I would be more comfortable going into next season with a battle hardened proven NRL standard prop to offset the loss of AFB.
Doesn’t have to be Lawrie but we need someone imo.
Ale was outstanding his last outing I thought.

Thrilled to type that, because was underwhelmed with his NRL showings. I didn't blame him for that, just thought he was nowhere near the rants in the NSW cup threads he was getting in terms of how that translated to fg.

Looks to me like he is maturing with that little bit of accrued fg time.

Happy to say I was wrong about him in the big picture, he does have a place in the side.

Interesting that wiremu greig is playing reserve grade this weekend- just re-signed last year- wouldn’t say no….
It’s interesting when u look around though- all these out of favor props- nas, lowrie, greig- all bigger guys probably struggling with the speed of the game- I’m sure it’s gotten even quicker this year- maybe these clubs are looking into the future and questioning their investment?
Of the three greig would come with the least risk being the youngest and cheapest.
I was impressed with the way he stepped up for the eels last year when Paulo and rcg were out.
Then you look at that Broncos pack and the size of the guys they have coming through there. Mind you, they are also perhaps a bit more athletic than the ones you mention.

Don't think we'll be rushing out to buy anyone.

At least not until we see a bit more from Laban and get a better idea on Sifakula's recovery.

Laban could be important in regards to keeping Barnett and Niukore in the middle of the field should an injury occur to Ford/Capewell.

In that instance next year's middle forwards are.

Harris
Barnett
Niukore
Afoa
Ale
Sifakula
Zyon Maiu’u

Plus whatever it is Walker's position is called - does he play lock, second row, what exactly?

Point is it wouldn't shock me if we keep it internal next year unless a genuine difference maker suddenly becomes available.

Ale was outstanding his last outing I thought.

Thrilled to type that, because was underwhelmed with his NRL showings. I didn't blame him for that, just thought he was nowhere near the rants in the NSW cup threads he was getting in terms of how that translated to fg.

Looks to me like he is maturing with that little bit of accrued fg time.

Happy to say I was wrong about him in the big picture, he does have a place in the side.
Were the wraps* in NSW cup for him playing edge/13 or from prop though?

Because I feel prior to last pre-season when Webby arrived that was where he played in cup. Whether he trained as a prop all pre-season or just came in with Barnett's injury as next cab off who knows.

It's a fair bit of a change to go from playing edge/13 in cup to playing prop in FG, atleast for someone of Ale's size.

Young props that hit the ground running in FG are pretty hard to find I feel, maybe that's changing with the speed of the game? But prior to all these rule changes bar some outliers, props were generally hitting their prime around 28 or so.

Big fan of Ale, and pretty happy with where he is at if he keeps maturing in FG. Will play a key role next season with AFB leaving, and his size suits where the game is going speed wise.

Last edited:
Josh Schuster granted immediate release

Edit: I wouldn't take him lol
I seen he’s free to look for another club and he’s been granted an immediate release.
I would be surprised if he’s been released, he would be stupid.
Sign for another club whilst Manly picks up half the freight.
If he’s just left he’s going to lose so much money it’s not funny.