Internationals ANZAC Test - Venue?

Tajhay_old

22 beast you can count on another $50 from me if you are willing to make the flight. I'll be there for sure (right now in lax airport so tireddd but great news for seqld kiwis)

PB_old

Test is on May 6th.

Christchurch: Ruled out.
Carisbrook: In season use for Highlanders.
Wellington Stadium: In season use for Hurricanes. vs Blues on 6th also.
Rotorua Stadium: Free after this weekend. Next event is RWC in September.
Waikato Stadium: In season use for Chiefs. vs Highlanders on 7th.
Mt Smart Stadium: In-season use for Warriors.
North Harbour Stadium: Free until ITM in July.
Eden Park: In season use for Blues.

OK. Rotorua and North Harbour are more available than the others, but there are plenty of questions. A few off the top of my head.

Does an available ground want to juggle an extra game given any RWC and existing commitments? Do contractual obligations prevent them doing so anyway? Does it disrupt ground maintenance programmes? Does Skilled Park provide better financial outcomes than any available NZ option? Does it provide a better logistical outcome for the NZRL, the players, and the Warriors? Does moving it to Australia ensure Christchurch is catered for next year instead of missing out? Does it provide the league community in Queensland a boost after their own traumas.

Nah... can't be any of that. It must be a stupid decision by bend over merchants. FMD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Northern_Union

The NZRL are ment to be looking after the game in New Zealand arn't they Bob? Queensland isn't in NZ. Whats the point of having a world cup winning team and 4N champions if you barely see them on home soil. When was the last time the Kiwis played in the South Island? 2006 i think. NZRL are weak and may as well be renames the Australian rugby league of New Zealand.

PB_old

The NZRL are ment to be looking after the game in New Zealand arn't they Bob? Queensland isn't in NZ. Whats the point of having a world cup winning team and 4N champions if you barely see them on home soil. When was the last time the Kiwis played in the South Island? 2006 i think. NZRL are weak and may as well be renames the Australian rugby league of New Zealand.

Ensuring a game in Christchurch next year, securing a venue on short notice, presumably financial security for the match, and looking after the welfare of the players... yeah, negligent bastards.

Northern_Union

Ensuring a game in Christchurch next year, securing a venue on short notice, presumably financial security for the match, and looking after the welfare of the players... yeah, negligent bastards.

If venues are an issue then how is Skilled available on short notice? Still have easily played it on NZ soil. How is the players welfare an issue? Yes negligent bastards as you rightly state.

Ryan_old

22 beast you can count on another $50 from me if you are willing to make the flight. I'll be there for sure (right now in lax airport so tireddd but great news for seqld kiwis)
Okay. So that's $100. ~$400 to go. C'mon. Cough up to make homie a happy chappy.

PB_old

Addressing questions out of order.

Northern_Union said:
If venues are an issue then how is Skilled available on short notice?

Skilled Park is not in NZ. The RWC is.

Northern_Union said:
How is the players welfare an issue?

Travel considerations with the rejig and Warriors vs Titans swap around.

Northern_Union said:
Still have easily played it on NZ soil.

I outlined some questions before you pissed and moaned some more. Got any insight/answers, or are you just going to Jnr Warlord all over the place?

Northern_Union

Addressing questions out of order.

Skilled Park is not in NZ. The RWC is.

Travel considerations with the rejig and Warriors vs Titans swap around.

I outlined some questions before you pissed and moaned some more. Got any insight/answers, or are you just going to Jnr Warlord all over the place?

Seeing as you've taken this all personal and all i think i'll leave it here thanks.

PB_old

Seeing as you've taken this all personal and all i think i'll leave it here thanks.

Haven't taken it 'all personal' at all. But you can take it that way if you want.

I provided an alternative viewpoint to the negativity because I genuinely can't understand it. I really can't. There's always got to be something wrong.

You were avoiding questions and changing the point of discussion just like Jnr Warlord did. For all the annoyance he was right about something. The constant 'woe is me' attitude in league is a big reason why it has struggled to stay on two feet.

I'll also leave it. I shouldn't have even replied anyway. No point.

The 22 BEAST_old

Test is on May 6th.

Christchurch: Ruled out.
Carisbrook: In season use for Highlanders.
Wellington Stadium: In season use for Hurricanes. vs Blues on 6th also.
Rotorua Stadium: Free after this weekend. Next event is RWC in September.
Waikato Stadium: In season use for Chiefs. vs Highlanders on 7th.
Mt Smart Stadium: In-season use for Warriors.
North Harbour Stadium: Free until ITM in July.
Eden Park: In season use for Blues.

OK. Rotorua and North Harbour are more available than the others, but there are plenty of questions. A few off the top of my head.

Does an available ground want to juggle an extra game given any RWC and existing commitments? Do contractual obligations prevent them doing so anyway? Does it disrupt ground maintenance programmes? Does Skilled Park provide better financial outcomes than any available NZ option? Does it provide a better logistical outcome for the NZRL, the players, and the Warriors? Does moving it to Australia ensure Christchurch is catered for next year instead of missing out? Does it provide the league community in Queensland a boost after their own traumas.

Nah... can't be any of that. It must be a stupid decision by bend over merchants. FMD.

Im just gutted its not here anymore.

Lets stop the fighting boys.

Go the WARRIORS!

Iafeta_old

I must be violently ill or something... buit I am finding myself in agreement with Northern!!

I understand all your reasoning polar, and its well founded... however it doesn't stack up for me. The obvious choice was the Cake-tin. I understand there's a game on the 6th. However, what about the 13th? The game being on the 6th as such is meaningless anyway, given its supposedly the ANZAC test, but ANZAC day is the 25th of April. So if we're trying to get the date 'right', then technically the Roosters-Dragons clash should be replaced by the test match. Common sense says we don't do that, and common sense suggests without any doubt whatsoever in my mind that the game moves to Wellington on the 13th with a massive fund-raising endeavour for the Christchurch earthquake.

A few points that need to be put into context:

* New Zealand hasn't hosted an ANZAC test since 1998. It's not acceptable in that context when another option is available to yank it off New Zealand again.
* Westpac Stadium holds 36,000... they'll pack that out given the Kiwis form and the significance of commemorating and fundraising for the earthquake. They can only get 27,400 at the Gold Coast.

All in all, in my opinion its a very poor decision, and given what could have been achieved even from a moral perspective for Christchurch, a tasteless decision.

Moz_old

Okay. So that's $100. ~$400 to go. C'mon. Cough up to make homie a happy chappy.

I'd be good for $50 NZD

I think its a disgrace they couldnt find another venue in the South Island or Welly? But will be there supporting though but honestly think its the wrong decision and not fair on league fans in NZ

Ryan_old

I'd be good for $50 NZD
Okay. $50 nzd = $36.37 aud. We now have a sub-total of $136.37 aud. Almost half-way in three pledges. Good work. However, at this stage, 22B hasn't said he'd take up the offer, even if we did get enough. So, yeah, that would be good to know if it's worth pursuing.

Tajhay_old

If he doesn't take up the offer I'll take it as I gotta travel from Sydney :p lol jk

The 22 BEAST_old

Okay. $50 nzd = $36.37 aud. We now have a sub-total of $136.37 aud. Almost half-way in three pledges. Good work. However, at this stage, 22B hasn't said he'd take up the offer, even if we did get enough. So, yeah, that would be good to know if it's worth pursuing.

As much as id like to take up the offer i can't.

I have three tickets, one for me, one for my wife and one for a mate.

It wouldn't be fair to them, also i was made redundant because my work is going to be bulldozed so trading in my tickets will come in handy.

Im just gutted because we don't even have a WARRIORS game down here this year.

Thanks anyway everyone!

Tajhay_old

As much as id like to take up the offer i can't.

I have three tickets, one for me, one for my wife and one for a mate.

It wouldn't be fair to them, also i was made redundant because my work is going to be bulldozed so trading in my tickets will come in handy.

Im just gutted because we don't even have a WARRIORS game down here this year.

Thanks anyway everyone!
well my offer still stands if you want to use that money to fly upto a warriors game up in auckland or whever. just pm me your paypal id if you are ever keen and ill send you the money mate. best of luck finding a new job!

Ryan_old

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1103/S00454/christchurch-fans-to-see-kiwis-vs-kangaroos.htm

With tickets now on sale, all Rugby League fans have their chance to be part of the first ever Test played on the Gold Coast between Australia and New Zealand on May 6 and a week that will highlight the courage of disaster affected communities rebuilding people’s lives across Queensland and in Christchurch.

Jetstar will assist in bringing 250 fans from Christchurch, the original venue for the match, to the Gold Coast free of charge and they will stay on for a Kiwi double-header between the Titans and Warriors on Sunday, May 8, while fans from flood affected areas in Queensland will also be invited.

The Queensland Government has given its support to send a clear message that the state is back in business as a sporting and tourist destination and thousands of interstate and overseas visitors are expected to take advantage of special ticket packages.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh today joined the Australian and New Zealand Rugby Leagues, NRL and Gold Coast Titans to announce a series of community initiatives including:

• Jetstar, in partnership with the NZRL, ARL and Gold Coast Titans, will bring 250 fans from Christchurch to the match free of charge. As well as the Test and NRL match between the Titans and Warriors, they will also attend one of the region’s iconic theme parks;

• Former NRL stars, including New Zealand World Cup-winning captain Nathan Cayless, will conduct a community visit in Christchurch on Thursday, May 5, before joining fans on the flight to the Gold Coast;

• The ARL and NRL will invite 250 people from flood-affected regions in Queensland to be special guests at the Test;

• Special travel offers from NZ Rugby League sponsor Flight Centre will be available to assist Kiwi fans travelling to the Gold Coast for the Test and the Telstra Premiership match;

• A special combo ticket offer has been made available that includes the Test on May 6 and the NRL Telstra Premiership match between the Titans and Warriors on the Gold Coast on Sunday, May 8;

• On Monday, May 9, Titans and Warriors players will visit flood affected areas Ipswich and Goodna as part of the NRL’s Adopt A Region Program, which encourages NRL and grass-roots clubs across Australia to partner affected clubs or regions in fundraising efforts.

“There is a proud sporting rivalry between our two nations and we have witnessed some enthralling matches in the past few years,” ARL Chief Executive, Mr Geoff Carr, said today.

“This Test will add a new chapter to that rivalry but, significantly, it will provide a stage to honour the courage and spirit of all those people whose lives have been affected by the floods, Cyclone Yasi and the Christchurch earthquake.

“We have received great support from the NRL, Jetstar and the Titans to make this a special occasion for families from across Queensland and Christchurch and I would encourage all Rugby League fans to come out and share in that tribute.”

New Zealand Rugby League Chief Executive, Mr Jim Doyle, said the entire Test week would be memorable for both its historic significance and for the chance to provide a little cheer for some people from Christchurch and Queensland.

“It’s not possible to do enough for them after what they’ve endured and are still enduring but we are determined to help in whatever small way we can,” he said.

“Given the recent history between the Kiwis and Kangaroos it’s great to be able to take our traditional rivalry to a new venue and, at the same time, give a group of New Zealand and Australian fans a unique experience.

“While it was our intention to have this Test in Christchurch originally, it simply isn’t possible this time but, through this united effort, we will still be able to bring some people from Christchurch to be a part of history.”

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh said: “Skilled Park will soon play host to a huge weekend of sport that will honour the courage and spirit of disaster affected communities.

“It means thousands of interstate and overseas visitors and once again demonstrates that Queensland is back in business.

“It’s hoped this event will bring a little cheer and relief to those who’ve been through an incredibly tough few months.”

Mr Doyle noted the NZRL was still working through a process with Jetstar, the Titans and the Queensland Government to determine how the 250 seats on special Jetstar flights would be allocated.

He said further details would be released as soon as possible about the seats and also about the community activity planned in Christchurch during the week of the Test.

To mark the historic event, a special Category 3 ticket combo is available for just $50 for adults and $140 for families that includes the Test and the Titans v Warriors Telstra Premiership match.

Spence_old

Ah, I didn't realise that the Warriors were playing that weekend. That makes it a smarter move.