General Warriors Junior Pathways

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure if this player has been mentioned already, but does anyone have any further information?

From The Mole:

LONG-TERM JOHNSON SUCCESSOR SIGNED

The Warriors aren't resting on their laurels despite their superb season and have signed a 15-year-old who could prove the long-term successor to Shaun Johnson's halfback throne.

Bay of Plenty juniors captain Tyson Hansen is a classy playmaker mature beyond his years and has put paper on a long-term deal with the club.

The youngster has all the skills and with the right coaching, is tipped to develop into something very special.

Looks like he plays for Ngongotahā chiefs.

Good thing with Rotorua Boys is he'll get ample opportunity to play both codes and won't get the 'it's one or the other' treatment like he would at Hamilton Boys and other 1st XV obsessed schools.

Looks like he plays for Ngongotahā chiefs.

Good thing with Rotorua Boys is he'll get ample opportunity to play both codes and won't get the 'it's one or the other' treatment like he would at Hamilton Boys and other 1st XV obsessed schools.
My understanding is the RBHS is as bad as any of the 1st XV obsessed schools. If you are playing 1st or 2nd XV you can't play league. Although maybe the rugby has finished for the year or he doesn't play rugby at all?

My understanding is the RBHS is as bad as any of the 1st XV obsessed schools. If you are playing 1st or 2nd XV you can't play league. Although maybe the rugby has finished for the year or he doesn't play rugby at all?
He turns 15 this year so unlikely to be playing 1st XV. I don't know how the rest of the country works but I think you need to apply for dispensation from the ARU to play someone in 1A if they aren't at least turning 16 in that year.

Is he at RBHS? He didn't play for the 1st X111 for RBHS at nationals in the weekend.

Last edited:
There's definitely crossover. A few of these guys played in last years NZRL schools final.

Aumua also played for Waikato in the Dean Bell cup and is at the dogs now and is a way better half than the SG Ball halfs we had this year.

I'd imagine the reason the young fulla didn't play is because putting a 14 year old who barely cracks 70kg into that tourney is too much. Remember Leka Halasima and Tanner Stowers-Smith were running around in that tourney last year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230907-123852_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907-123852_Facebook.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 90
There's definitely crossover. A few of these guys played in last years NZRL schools final.

Aumua also played for Waikato in the Dean Bell cup and is at the dogs now and is a way better half than the SG Ball halfs we had this year.

I'd imagine the reason the young fulla didn't play is because putting a 14 year old who barely cracks 70kg into that tourney is too much. Remember Leka Halasima and Tanner Stowers-Smith were running around in that tourney last year.
He's 15 apparently but your point still stands. Signed to SportsVision. Height and weight is decent for a half. Too young for 1st X111 though.

1694052736930.png

Auckland South vs BOP u14s from last year and I think he's playing at 6 but can't find a team list. If it is him then he's a handy player, in everything.

EDIT ** He could be the 13.

Last edited:
I know nothing in this area, so my questions aren't attacks, just asking for reals.

What is Autex doing to help grassroots.

What clubs and schools get benefits/support.

I only know of two RL clubs in Auckland which are Glenora Bears and Pt Chev Pirates but I don't ever hear anything about league in schools or in the community.

Do primary school kids get encouraged to play league? Rippa Rugby and Touch Rugby sounds like a better transition into league than union.

Status
Not open for further replies.