TeamList [2023, Finals Week 1] - Penrith Vs Warriors

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Afternoon
12:00

Team Lists

Be interesting with AFB and how many minutes he plays. Going to be a step up or two in intensity and we need him to play as many minutes as he is capable of.

As for Jazz, that's what I meant with the niggly shit. First part of the season I was pleasantly surprised by his attitude but his game back I thought he was looking for trouble
Agreed, early season he had got the silly plays out of his game he and Walker were killing it. Not sure whether it was having been out for so long and was trying to prove a point, but he was not just going about his business as he did early in the season.

Hopefully Webby has got in his ear, and Ford. Because piggy backing Riff out of their own end leads to a deep dark hole.

So,,,,,how do we beat the bastards?

How is it Parramatta always seem to get the better of them?

Can we do that?

Frankwhite pointed out in the General NRL game thread that the Eels were surrendering in the tackle before the Panthers could do their cheating drive you back defence after the Ref has called held and does nothing about it.

I watched and Frank was bang on the money.

The Eels play eyes up footy on the Panthers line and stack the numbers while short passing to mainly put Winger on winger.

But the Eels left edge attack is strong so they score a bunch by having Sivo on the tram line for the one on one big winger vs huge winger.

Sivo scored four Trys last time they met.

Hopefully TMM can get something going, if they do, well...we all know Penrith will be stacking DWZs side.

I guess we beat them by SJ going left like he started doing with Metcalf and Montoya finds his mojo.

Also the reason Jazz makes the team over Bunty is that finals are like test matches, you pick your most experienced guys where possible for the mental edge they have over the others.
Hasn't Bunty played more games than Jazz?

I trust the strategy of fast and mobile bench. That has been Webbys plan all season.

I think we can match it with them, we just can't afford to clock off for a second.
L

Hasn't Bunty played more games than Jazz?

I trust the strategy of fast and mobile bench. That has been Webbys plan all season.

I think we can match it with them, we just can't afford to clock off for a second.
L
Yeah Bunty has had more appearances, Jazz is the guy that will play more minutes for you though hey.

The 2 key areas to beating them are great defence and discipline. We cannot afford to give away cheap penalties and make errors. In terms of offence, I think we need to bring our offload and jungle ball game back we were so known for in the past.

I think the game will come down to these players:

- Jazz
- TMM
- Montoya
- SJ
- Walker
- Barnett

All have dipped below their mid season peak form for the past month or so. All are experienced and senior players.

Were they in a lull with a finals spot wrapped up or has our form actually slipped?

How those players rise to the occasion will determine if we win or lose. I hope they are ready to unleash!

I think it was against the Dolphins or Titans when Berry got knocked out and AFB fired up like I want to see him fired up again. That Addin was down right scary.

Yeah it fires the whole team up, Barnett feeds off it, as does Walker and Jazz, Marata is another with the mongrel.

Curran can put some shots on too.

Penrith have the more athletic pack but we have more mongrel.

Should be a great match up.

Yeah it fires the whole team up, Barnett feeds off it, as does Walker and Jazz, Marata is another with the mongrel.

Curran can put some shots on too.

Penrith have the more athletic pack but we have more mongrel.

Should be a great match up.
Agree Sup I think the only way we win this is with sheer mongrel, no one in that Panthers team wants Marata to go full Muss, they don't have that power level.

Warriors vs Panthers Finals Week 1 2018

Glad the NRL posted this 15 minute version, I was at this game but I forgot how close the game was.

Had no idea how close we were to probably being up 18-2 near the 18th minute had Adam Blair found the offload to Kata or just held on to the ball with tackles remaining.

From there, Penrith gained the ascendancy and practically won the game in the next 5-10 minutes, Isaacs Luke kick off out in the full, RTS injury etc.

Many criticised SJ for going absent (perhaps slightly unfairly though understandable) this game including our CEO and the management at the Warriors at the time, which ultimately lead to the demise of the team in 2019 onwards.

The COVID years from 2020-2022 instilled heart in the team, and this year has instilled the Warriors soul and most importantly, the identity of the team once again.

No matter how this game goes or how this season ends up finishing, I personally think that we will all look back at season 2023 as being the year that kicked off a golden period for our club.

Forum,

Mark my words - we will play the performance of our lives on Saturday. This Wahs team will be primed and in my opinion, this is set up by design by Webby.

Penrith are who we have wanted in the first game of the finals - and judging by Webby’s smile after the Phins game, he’s set this up strategically.

Let’s dissect.
1. Wahs have not played with their expansive game since before the third bye. We put the cue in the rack from some of our attacking plays and the last 5 weeks we have engineered grinding wins, learning how to win ugly. Behind closed doors, I reckon they have been developing plays to counter the defensive ploys team developed to counter our game from the beginning of the season. Be prepared to see some expansive plays and things we haven’t seen for 7 or 8 rounds.
At the same time, winning ugly if we have to is now ingrained in us. We can get into the arm wrestle and win rather than rely on shock and awe.

2. Jazz - the bald brothers haven’t played together for weeks. Jazz was held back against the Phins - he was ready and amping to get on the field. Clearly, something is up with how he will play against Penrith. Probably 30-40 minutes max I’d say. Now what we will likely see is Tohu move into prop when Jazz and DWalks come on, with Walker playing 13. Speed is the key to what we do.

3. We rested our entire spine bar TMM who needed the blow out. I’m picking this team has been putting plans together for 2 weeks on Penrith. Funny, Justin Morgan was on SENZ talking up playing the Broncos and said ‘they may have someone looking at Penny just in case’. That this away comment was interesting. In fact, I suspect it was the complete reverse. They’ve designed a plan specifically for this game, specifically against the Panthers. And our spine I bet will have this plan burned into their psyche by now.

5. And who was Assistant Coach there for the last few years? Webby knows them better than anyone. He knows their plays, calls, style, weaknesses and how they can be beaten. We have a comprehensive plan here and winning this gets us so close to the big dance. A home prelim would be unprecedented. If we are going to win it all, we need gas in the tank and the shortest distance to that goal is getting a prelim at home - we will not lose that match. So this game is literally our first ‘grand final’ as it unlocks the door to the edge of the promised land.

7. Private Jet? We are executing a pre planned victory strategy here people. This is not a decision made on a whim. We’ve dead set planned everything including making the most seamless travel arrangements. The entire week has been mapped probably to the minute. I swear this is a big sign..

8. AFB has been building his fitness to play 70 minutes in a semi. He’s played within himself in recent games - but has added miles to the clock. I expect a monster, dominant performance.

I could go on. But in essence, watch the body language of the team this week. Watch the little mannerisms and the look in their eyes. Forget what they say, look at the focus, the confidence and the swagger.

We have already been written off by all media (as per usual). I reckon there is something special cooking here.

Do you dare to dream? 4pm on a Saturday afternoon in Penrith - hard and fast pitch. Team built for speed.

deadset, if we get what I think will happen, this will be one of the greatest matches in our clubs history.

Wahs in a statement performance by 8.

UP THE FKN WAHS!!!!!

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not a fan of the bench make up.

We are missing leg-drive impact off the bench.

Ford showed that a few weeks ago but they have gone away from that.

Barnett has shown that many times, and he just ain't a starting prop.

Hard with all available but I would start Bunty, move Barnett to the bench, swap Curran and Ford and either Jazz or Siro to make way - probably Siro

Back