Internationals Anzac test match thread + predictions

Forgive me for my ignorance but if the NZRL is amateur, why does it need to spend so much money? I'd look it up myself but frankly I wouldn't know how.

I don't know how much 'so much' is, nor do I know what other income streams they have, so I don't think we can find that out unless the NZRL make it public.

Are Kiwi players not paid?

That isn't what I meant.

I meant that England and Australia have domestic competitions in which all players are professionals and play for a living. This is largely driven by sponsorship deals and broadcasting agreements that no NZRL domestic competition has.

So when the NZRL gets offered a mid-season match that the Kiwis will most likely lose, but which will provide a large influx of funds, they answer with a business mind, rather than a football mind.

To answer your question directly, though, players who represent New Zealand at full international level do get match payments, but they're smaller than the match payments for those who represent Australia or play State Of Origin.

I don't know how much 'so much' is, nor do I know what other income streams they have, so I don't think we can find that out unless the NZRL make it public.
Ah Ok, I think. As long as we aren't doing a "Titans" then I'm not too fussed about how they get the money, as long as its not illegal that is.

That isn't what I meant.

I meant that England and Australia have domestic competitions in which all players are professionals and play for a living. This is largely driven by sponsorship deals and broadcasting agreements that no NZRL domestic competition has...
Do you mean like how union has the ICM or ITM or whatever it's called? In which Auckland plays Wellington etc. Or the local teems from da hood(Mr T emoticon here) like Kaiapoi, Aranui etc.

Do you mean like how union has the ICM or ITM or whatever it's called? In which Auckland plays Wellington etc. Or the local teems from da hood(Mr T emoticon here) like Kaiapoi, Aranui etc.

I mean anything domestic below international level. (So that excludes the Warriors and the Vulcans because they play in Australian domestic competitions.)

I doubt anyone below international level playing in a New Zealand domestic competition does so or a living. They'll have regular day jobs and will train after work and play on their days off.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean anything domestic below international level. (So that excludes the Warriors and the Vulcans because they play in Australian domestic competitions.)

I doubt anyone below international level playing in a New Zealand domestic competition does so or a living. They'll have regular day jobs and will train after work and play on their days off.
Ah ok, thanks

When you put it like that, then, yes, I can see why the Anzac test needs to exist but irrespective, I still prefer series to one-off tests where possible.

So, effectively, Kiwi players will earn $20k this season whereas Feleti if he's picked for NSW and plays in all three SOOs could earn $120kAUD - so $140kNZDish.

Ouchie. Anyone to blame for this, or just life, Jim, but not as we'd like to know it?

Yeah Rizzah is correct, it's more like 40k per series. Which is still 4 times the Kiwis get, then if you chuck Tests on that you could be looking at 70k per year, to say the Kiwis 30k.

Origin/The Kangaroos is hardly a yearly gaurantee for ever player, where as you could say the Kiwis is a easier side to crack. I dont think its as big of a money thing people are saying.

I can actually see Tamou coming back to the Kiwis if he doesnt get picked for 2 years overs his surely long career.

When you put it like that, then, yes, I can see why the Anzac test needs to exist but irrespective, I still prefer series to one-off tests where possible.

So, effectively, Kiwi players will earn $20k this season whereas Feleti if he's picked for NSW and plays in all three SOOs could earn $120kAUD - so $140kNZDish.

Ouchie. Anyone to blame for this, or just life, Jim, but not as we'd like to know it?

Lack of funds. If the NZRL were flush and had more valuable income streams, I'm sure they'd love to pay Kiwi players more.

Definitely not Doyle's fault - not sure if that was an intentional pun or not!

Good spot, Jesbass!

It wasn't until I typed "Jim", I thought "hang on...". So I typed "Jim McDonald" (for someone reason I was sure it was Jim McDonald who runs the NZRL) and got the guy from Coronation Street. Wroooong. So didn't Google further.

Good spot, Jesbass!

It wasn't until I typed "Jim", I thought "hang on...". So I typed "Jim McDonald" (for someone reason I was sure it was Jim McDonald who runs the NZRL) and got the guy from Coronation Street. Wroooong. So didn't Google further.

Ha - not every Scotsman is a McDonald!

Mcdonalds.jpg
Good Scotsman