Internationals Anzac test match thread + predictions

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Just about to watch now. No spoilers guys! Jks.

I listened on the radio on the drive to Brisbane...the commentators basically said Luke was our best player on the night. We'll see.

I've nearly had it with vatuvei. Once again he joins my list of players that doesn't get a capital letter. I just don't understand why so many people pick him.

2Big2Strong

Heritage Member
Well that's my point. I would like to see if the rule has changed to what you're suggesting above. It didn't used to have to be that the attacking player was guaranteed of scoring, but all the commentators seemed to think that this is how the rule should be interpreted nowadays.

Nothings changed mate.

There doesn't have to be a 'guaranteed' chance of scoring but there does have to be a 'probable' chance of scoring. The penalty try in the World Cup final was awarded because Lance was a few strides ahead of Billy and was a more than likely going to get there first. Last night Alex Glenns chances of scoring were <50% as Watmough was already in the vicinity.

Just about to watch now. No spoilers guys! Jks.

I listened on the radio on the drive to Brisbane...the commentators basically said Luke was our best player on the night. We'll see.

Yeah, luke was good and so were a couple of our forwards.. and Nightingale was good too.

Fuck what a shit display though.. With about 20 to go i actually wanted us to lose because it would've been a travesty if we'd won that game.. THAT'S why i don't give a shit about the Kiwis..

A good performance all round. We were really the walking wounded for a lot of that match, but we showed real promise. Given some of the predictions in this thread, there should be some pleased supporters on these boards.

I'd still like to see if the RLIF's ruling on penalty tries has changed, though.

Are you serious Jesbass? Good performance? Not sure if watched the game

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Johnson's intercept the highlight?

I thought the game started with a hiss and a roar but didn't really kick on. Marshall was poor but the commentators seemed to want to blame that on Johnson. I was happy with Shaun Johnson, kept getting up despite being targeted a bit on the edges. Fien seemed to have some terrible touches at crucial times, namely kick out on the full followed up by a penalty. Geez that Aussie team has some good players though - QLD team + Uate, Watmough, Gallen, Lewis. And Ray Warren made the trip to Auckland, that's rare?

Johnson's intercept the highlight?

I thought the game started with a hiss and a roar but didn't really kick on. Marshall was poor but the commentators seemed to want to blame that on Johnson. I was happy with Shaun Johnson, kept getting up despite being targeted a bit on the edges. Fien seemed to have some terrible touches at crucial times, namely kick out on the full followed up by a penalty. Geez that Aussie team has some good players though - QLD team + Uate, Watmough, Gallen, Lewis. And Ray Warren made the trip to Auckland, that's rare?

yeah i thought Marshall was bad..he got the ball too much.. he made a few bad last play options, kicked it smack in to that Ausi player for a charge down, kicked out on the full, and we were very lucky that Thurston didn't score again after he rushed out of the line like he does.. Is that ever effective? I've seen him do it so often and the end result is normally a 4 on 2 overlap..

Fein i think kicked the ball twice.. once on the last play right in to the hands of greg inglis, the other out on the full. I missed the penalty though..

I was happy with Shaun Johnson too.. his defense was strong i thought but he had a couple of lazy moments towards the end. I'm so glad we (the warriors) have a player that can intercept the ball.. such a huge play in the context of a game.

Australia are so much better than us though..

I thought both our halves were very poor, Fien was bad too. We had no leadership from the halves, poor option taking at crucial times, poor kicking game too. Oterwise it was a very good game, the forwards wrestled well, I enjoyed it. If we had one decent playmaker, we could have won that game, especiall playing 10 minutes with one man up.

I thought both our halves were very poor, Fien was bad too. We had no leadership from the halves, poor option taking at crucial times, poor kicking game too. Oterwise it was a very good game, the forwards wrestled well, I enjoyed it. If we had one decent playmaker, we could have won that game, especiall playing 10 minutes with one man up.

See I don't like comments like this...if we had one decent playmaker? Marshall is one of the best we'll ever have. The problem is we can't have two playmakers who have a similar game with both wanting to dominate plays. If you look around the combos of 6 and 7s then you will see usually one who is more dominant. Cronk kicked mostly and didn't do much else while Thurston made most of the plays

The players just need more practise time so they actually know what Marshall is going to do, that is why he is so good with the Tigers.

We had great opportunities. First we had one man advantage and Johnson butchered it early with a poor pass to Mannering when there was nothing to be gained from that play. Very costly error.
Then in the second half when Nightingale made that big break, the halves didn't touch the ball for the next 3 tackles, when one of them had to be screaming for the ball, counting numbers and organizing the line. Very poor.
And the kicking game was bad.
We needed a playmaker out there who knew how to play the percentages and take the right options. Benji is a very skillful player who can execute most plays but he has a history of very poor option taking with the Tigers too. Last night he was my worst on the field.

PolarBob

Both sets of halves got the ball about the same amount, but ours needed it more to compenate for the Aussie's cohesiveness.

Quality of their ball was ball. Slow play the balls and limited go forward, with dummy half running dominating.

Aussies concentrated on speed at the play the ball to get go-forward, and Cameron Smith completely controlled his team, showing Benji what leading a side actually means and giving the ball to Thurston and Cronk in better position than his positional counterpart.

Nothings changed mate.

There doesn't have to be a 'guaranteed' chance of scoring but there does have to be a 'probable' chance of scoring. The penalty try in the World Cup final was awarded because Lance was a few strides ahead of Billy and was a more than likely going to get there first. Last night Alex Glenns chances of scoring were <50% as Watmough was already in the vicinity.

My understanding of the penalty try rule was that it applies if a player I denied a scoring opportunity. I guess the discussion then revolves around whether or not Glenn would have had a acting opportunity sans Slater's foul.

I'd have to have another look to make up my kind on that.

We had great opportunities. First we had one man advantage and Johnson butchered it early with a poor pass to Mannering when there was nothing to be gained from that play. Very costly error.
Then in the second half when Nightingale made that big break, the halves didn't touch the ball for the next 3 tackles, when one of them had to be screaming for the ball, counting numbers and organizing the line. Very poor.
And the kicking game was bad.
We needed a playmaker out there who knew how to play the percentages and take the right options. Benji is a very skillful player who can execute most plays but he has a history of very poor option taking with the Tigers too. Last night he was my worst on the field.

Just because we had opportunities to score doesn't mean we were going to tho.. we scored 2 tries.. one a dummy half flop over, the other was an intercept try. I think the scoreline was flattering to us given how many bad mistakes we made. Do we just expect we're gonna some how stay in the game long enough to score a BS late try and steal the game a la 2010. Australia were far superior (on our soil) and deserved to win.

Are you serious Jesbass? Good performance? Not sure if watched the game

At face value, no. A loss is never good overall on its own.

But within the context of the actual match, (haven't won for 14 years, playing against the heart of the Queensland side that has dominated State Of Origin, most posters onhere expecting a heavy loss, enduring a series of injuries throughout the match), then yes, I think it was a good performance overall.

If you're interested in a quality discussion, rather than inane pot shots as per above, then let's chat. Otherwise, I can't be bothered.

My understanding of the penalty try rule was that it applies if a player I denied a scoring opportunity. I guess the discussion then revolves around whether or not Glenn would have had a acting opportunity sans Slater's foul.

I'd have to have another look to make up my kind on that.

My understanding is that you have to be pretty much certain that a try was going to be scored.. i remember all the discussion in 2008, some people were questioning whether that penalty try should've been given, even though Lance was definitely gonna score (unless he completely butchered it). In the case of last nights game, was no way a certainty he was gonna score..

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
My understanding is that you have to be pretty much certain that a try was going to be scored..

That was my understanding as well. If it was just "denied a tryscoring opportunity" we'd see a million penalty tries, not just the one per season. Maybe the "denied a tryscoring opportunity" refers to a sinbinning of the defending player?

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
I thought we were alright for 80 metres of the field - but absolutely hopeless (and I mean Cleary era Warriors hopeless) inside their 20 metres. I put that down to the halves, I think Johnson had a solid enough debut, but once again Marshall is letting us down. Why is someone as skilled as that so inconsistent? It drives me insane. I think the best case of this is when Slater went off, we should have gone about our business and built pressure up for the rest of the half, yet we tried throwing miracle balls (both halves were guilty here), especially that inside ball around the ~35th minute - such a terrible play when they're down an outside back.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I thought Manu was alright... there was that ridiculous knock on, but other than that I thought he was solid? Good defense and hit ups, never really had any proper scoring chances. That ball he managed to flick back in the last 10 minutes was awesome as well!

What was up with giving Matulino so few minutes?

Reactions: Dankokoro 2.0
At face value, no. A loss is never good overall on its own.

But within the context of the actual match, (haven't won for 14 years, playing against the heart of the Queensland side that has dominated State Of Origin, most posters onhere expecting a heavy loss, enduring a series of injuries throughout the match), then yes, I think it was a good performance overall.

If you're interested in a quality discussion, rather than inane pot shots as per above, then let's chat. Otherwise, I can't be bothered.

Let's chat then..

So you thought it was a good performance because:

1) we always lose
2) the other team is better than us
3) we didn't lose by as much as some ppl said we would

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I thought Manu was alright... there was that ridiculous knock on, but other than that I thought he was solid? Good defense and hit ups, never really had any proper scoring chances. That ball he managed to flick back in the last 10 minutes was awesome as well!

What was up with giving Matulino so few minutes?

Manu was good (170+ metres), but once again the majority of his value to the team was hitting the ball up, which he did strongly.. he did a lot of the forwards work, getting us out of our own half

He made 2 errors but was lucky to get that strip call go his way.. also knocked the ball on in goal but didnt get spotted? or double knock on and play on? I didn't get that call.. anyway, his hands are still a large concern.. I was lol'ing at how gently Johnson passes the ball to Manu when he's about to hit the ball up..

Reactions: Spence