He's occupying a spot that someone's 19 year old nephew could be taking. Of course he's going to cop a lot of shit around here.;)

But for me he's fast becoming the new "Peoples Champ".

Think Jono Wright but with pace and big hairy balls that hang out of his playing shorts.

He might be the charismatic, cheeky bastard the teams needs to rev the Mt Smart crowd up.

Whats up with your fascination with chumpy outside backs? First it was Nielsen then Jono Wrong and now your new love is Gelling?

It seems like whoever is the worst outside back in the squad who gets grilled on here you go into bat for defending them to almost trollish levels lol.

I hope like hell Gelling turns out better than the other two.

Last edited:
Whats up with your fascination with chumpy outside backs? First it was Nielsen then Jono Wrong and now your new love is Gelling?

It seems like whoever is the worst outside in the squad who gets grilled on here you go into bat for defending them to almost trollish levels lol.

I hope like hell Gelling turns out better than the other two.
What can I say.

It's my dream to see some fringe player, with loads of charisma, break into the FG team and start killing it. Gubb almost made it, but fell short. Now I'd like to see Gelling get in there and make a name for himself... He is a man of the people after all.:D

He just needs to sort out the footy side of it and he's good to go.;)

wrighty

Gelling has proven himself to be somewhat of a cult hero at Wigan with his eccentric behaviours which include charging down a penalty goal attempt from Brisbane Broncos Corey Parker in golden point extra time of the World Club Series clash between the Broncos and Wigan on February 21, 2015

He sounds like a funny guy. I guess the only upside I can see to him is if he turns out to a tinny bastard. Maybe he will be the type of guy who gets a lucky bounce go his way or gets an intercept try.

As for his tackling. From my brief foray as a winger in union, it was all about moving up as a line, If he can just get his defensive positioning right on the field and not rush up before the others, or alternatively be too slow then that may be enough from a defensive point of view as then there is no room to side step and the opponents only decision is to run straight at you or pass to the next guy.

He's played almost 20 games a season for Wigan these last 6 years. And they've won plenty in that time.

He can't be that bad surely. As a 5th choice center he's pretty damn good IMO.

Maybe he's never played as a last minute impact player before? He might need a season coming off the bench with 3 mins to play before he becomes the master.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
He's played almost 20 games a season for Wigan these last 6 years. And they've won plenty in that time.

He can't be that bad surely. As a 5th choice center he's pretty damn good IMO.

Maybe he's never played as a last minute impact player before? He might need a season coming off the bench with 3 mins to play before he becomes the master.
You forget Wigans best player during that time Sam Tomkins???

You forget Wigans best player during that time Sam Tomkins???
Tomkins was a good player tho. His tipon's to Hurrell were great.

Too small for the NRL it has to be said. But his basic skills and footy vision is up there with anyones IMO.

I'm not predicting Gelling to set the world on fire ala Fusitua, but I'm calling that he's going to be solid overall and better than average at a few core skills.

wrighty

I'm not predicting Gelling to set the world on fire ala Fusitua, but I'm calling that he's going to be solid and better than average at a few core skills.

What I am calling with a 100% certainty of being true is that if the Warriors lose he will be vilified mercilessly regardless of how well he plays. He basically better pray the Warriors win. The microscope will be out on his performance.

Edit: even if he gets injured during a hit up he will be roasted for being reckless. While if it is anyone else it will be bad luck.

What I am calling with a 100% certainty of being true is that if the Warriors lose he will be vilified mercilessly regardless of how well he plays. He basically better pray the Warriors win. The microscope will be out on his performance.
I don't think he'll mind at all. He's definitely been a guy to attract a lot of attention in the past.

Shitting in a hotel room, or pissing people off enough for them to make up a story about it, either way tells me he's in it for the fame (or the infamy). Then charging down a penalty kick decider at the death, and clapping his fans as he walks off with a yellow card is pure class IMO. Gubb wishes he was that awesome.

So I don't think Gelling will give a toss if he's vilified on here, or anywhere else. He doesn't look like the kind of guy who takes his shit too personally.

wrighty

I don't think he'll mind at all. He's definitely been a guy to attract a lot of attention in the past.

Shitting in a hotel room, or pissing people off enough for them to make up a story about it, either way tells me he's in it for the fame (or the infamy). Then charging down a penalty kick decider at the death, and clapping his fans as he walks off with a yellow card is pure class IMO. Gubb wishes he was that awesome.

So I don't think Gelling will give a toss if he's vilified on here, or anywhere else. He doesn't look like the kind of guy who takes his shit too personally.

Fair Dues.

A couple of extra observations.
1) It will almost be a let down now if Kata plays a full 80 now after this Gelling hype and video.
2) I believe in fate and it is pure fate that he ended up with this season. He was quite happy at Wigan until his girlfriend in Auckland had an car accident. He approached us about playing here or his agent did more likely. However this match goes on Friday, if he plays, it is written in the stars. Let's hope he is fated to help us rather than hurt the warriors.

No flames please for me admitting I believe in fate. Not many people do. I concede it sounds whacky, but my life has been whacky and I can only put some of it down to fate.

Inruin

Contributor
Whether he gets enough game time or not or feels he has to be mercurial during his short stints there is absolutely no excuse for someone of his experience to throw such a lousy dummy half pass. Its criminal how pathetic it is. Boggles my mind that he is considered NRL quality with that pass...
From memory there were two that went along the ground and a third that was high and behind Green which completely stopped the momentum of the play. That's pretty poor in a 5ish minute stint.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
From memory there were two that went along the ground and a third that was high and behind Green which completely stopped the momentum of the play. That's pretty poor in a 5ish minute stint.
What astounds me how someone who has played so much professional league and is now playing NRL can be so damn terrible? How did this not get identified during training and worked on or Gelling being told that under no circumstances is he to ever find himself standing at dummy half???

This is your one shot to get it right.
It’s not like you haven’t played before.
Big body, bit of pace, played in position.
Don’t over play your hand.
Run and fend hard.
Draw and pass.
Talk to your inside and outside.
Hold the line.

Show us what you got cuzzy because there be 3 more boys ready for your spot very soon.

Best of luck AG.
Damn bro, I thought you were quoting rap lyrics for a bit there haha good shit. :cigar:

wrighty

Don’t they all play in front of crowds bro?

Nah, not ISP players etc.

In cricket, a sport I know more about, the ability to hold your nerve in front of a big crowd is one of the reasons why players new to the blackcaps do so badly at first.

Here is another video of him scoring a winning try - ironically with an intercept as I conjectured about him earlier.

Reactions: jonno
Nah, not ISP players etc.

In cricket, a sport I know more about, the ability to hold your nerve in front of a big crowd is one of the reasons why players new to the blackcaps do so badly at first.

Here is another video of him scoring a winning try - ironically with an intercept as I conjectured about him earlier.

Yeah I was referring to NRL players.
He’s obviously got some talent but I’m very sceptical that he’s NRL standard. Hope to be proven wrong.

Reactions: Inruin

wrighty

Yeah I was referring to NRL players.
He’s obviously got some talent but I’m very sceptical that he’s NRL standard. Hope to be proven wrong.

I think we all share your view after watching his horror show 5 minutes on the weekend.

I am kind of coming around to Jonno's view about him. Surely Wigan would have dropped him after 1 or 2 games if his play for us vs the Broncos was indicative of his usual standard. They didn't drop him though and he played 6 seasons during which time Wigan won like 55-60% of their games.
I accept that the NRL is a better comp than the Super League - but it isn't ten times better.

I really don't know how he will go either. I just think that Kearney has made the right call to play him. He deserves one full chance. If he blows this then try something else against Melbourne.