mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Doesn't know exactly where he is going to but most likely Widnes. Nothing has been signed...

Reactions: bruce
snake77

snake77

Good luck to him. Hope the situation with his partner is all sorted.

He seemed like a good guy to have around the club. The thing is if we want to sign anyone else or promote anyone we are going to have to lose a few to free up cap space and a roster position.

Reactions: Hazman and bruce
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

Doesn't know exactly where he is going to but most likely Widnes. Nothing has been signed...
I doubt it now. Widnes were beaten again today and are favourites for relegation. He's too good for the championship and Widnes will need to cut their wage bill anyhow.

He will get a club in ESL though, someone else will offer him a contract I am sure. Gubb will be in a similar position, Widnes will need to release him.

Hull may be an option, they will probably have a clear out after a disastrous second half of the season.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Baxendale

I doubt it now. Widnes were beaten again today and are favourites for relegation. He's too good for the championship and Widnes will need to cut their wage bill anyhow.

He will get a club in ESL though, someone else will offer him a contract I am sure. Gubb will be in a similar position, Widnes will need to release him.

Hull may be an option, they will probably have a clear out after a disastrous second half of the season.

All SL contacts are null and void upon relegation anyway so they'd be free agents.

I'd have him at Hull but we've already got 3 centres taking up a decent amount of cap

Trugoy

Trugoy

Was obviously recorded and released before his issue with the law last week but there’s an interesting podcast episodes featuring Gelling.
Has a little insight into his lifelong ambition to play for and his time at the NZ Warriors.

Can’t post the link but search Out Of Your League Podcast on Spotify. 049236C2 DBCB 4D75 8B2C 261D29542477

Last edited:
Reactions: Off The Bench
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
227. ANTHONY GELLING

Anthony Gelling joined the Warriors on a one year contract from the Wigan Warriors after returning to NZ to be closer to family.

Gelling returned to play Super League, signing a two-year deal with Warrington after his contract in New Zealand expired. On 30 November 2020, it was announced that Gelling would be leaving Warrington at the end of the 2020 season, by mutual consent.

On 13 April 2021, it was confirmed that Gelling had signed for Leigh, for the 2021 season.

On 7 June 2021, it was confirmed that Gelling had left the club, and returned home to New Zealand due to personal reasons.

After the Cook Islands mid season clash with Samoa Toa on June 25th, 2022 Anthony Gelling announced his retirement from Rugby League.

Cookies coach Tony Iro was able to convince Gelling to go one more round during the 2021 RLWC. After playing 2 more games for the Cook Island team Gelling retired for the second time from the game.

Anthony Gelling leaves Cook Islands camp early to return home

26th October 2022 Josh McAllister World Cup 2021
Anthony Gelling Cook Islands

Cook Islands head coach Tony Iro has confirmed that Anthony Gelling has played his final game of the World Cup tournament and will return home to New Zealand.

Gelling, 32, has featured in both group games so far, defeating Wales in the opening game before falling short against Papua New Guinea at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

He has crossed for two tries, scoring in both games in Group D for Cook Islands. But boss Iro has confirmed his star centre will return home to deal with personal matters.

Iro also believes Gelling has played his final international match for the Kukis, having originally taken several months to convince the former NRL man to play in this year’s tournament.

“He’s going home,” Iro told Love Rugby League. “He’s got some personal things to deal with, so he’s heading home tomorrow.

“Anthony been an outstanding servant for Cook Islands rugby league. He’s always put his hand up. It doesn’t matter where he is in the world, he’ll turn up and play.

“He’s an absolute freak to be fair, because that’s only his third game of rugby league this year. To do what he did, he had a great game last week and ran 300 metres.

“He did everything he could today to try and get us the win.

“It took me four months to convince him to get him on this tour, so I think that’s the end for him. He’s a passionate guy and he spoke to the boys about continuing the legacy and building the squad.”

Anthony Gelling confirms second retirment​

Having originally retired after the side’s mid-season clash with Samoa, Gelling has again officially hung up the boots to start a new job with the New Zealand Warriors and learning a new trade.

“That was my last game,” Gelling confirmed to Love Rugby League. “I retired back in June after the Samoa game, and this was a little last minute. But it’s good to get a couple games.”

Gelling reiterated Iro’s claims that he took some convincing to join the squad in England, joking: “I told him no every time!

“But my partner convinced me and said just go for it and once you’re retired, you’re retired.
“I kind of had some unfinished work here too about building culture and stuff like that, so some of us senior boys have come back for that.”

On life after league, he added: “I’m going to do some wellbeing stuff with New Zealand

Warriors. I also have a plumber apprenticeship starting Monday, too.

“It’s good to be home back in New Zealand.”

I thought this was going to be straight forward update with Gelling posting a lot on Instagram about his career in real estate but the article above says he's started a plumbing apprenticeship and working in the wellbeing department for the Warriors. From the horses mouth so its as good as done for me but hopefully we will see more on both appointments over the coming months...

Screenshot 2022 12 19 22250 PM

About​

42784db8-bde3-41a8-a19f-7f99052d76f6

Community and family. No two words better describe Anthony Gelling. Growing up between Otara and Howick, Anthony has always been connected to his tight-knit neighbourhood and after 12 years abroad playing professional league in Australia and the UK, there was never any question he would return to his roots.

Settling back into South Auckland in 2018, Anthony knew real estate was his next venture. Like with sport, he thrives when working as part of a driven team to achieve rewarding outcomes for his clients. To this end, he joined veteran sales agent Charlie Brothers at Ray White Manukau and is now an integral part of a winning team.

With a young family of his own, Anthony understands first hand the struggles first home buyers face in this turbulent market, and is dedicated to helping guide people through the home ownership process. He is also passionate about giving back to the sport and local community that helped shape his youth, and perfectly balances his real estate career with coaching New Zealand’s next generation of sporting stars.

Honest, hardworking and committed to helping his clients get the deal done, if you want a winning result then Anthony Gelling is the agent you need to have by your side.

Reactions: bruce
YeahNah 4020

YeahNah 4020

Contributor
This was a signing I was pumped about

Sad things didn’t work out warriors wise

From a fans point of view seems like a guy with a few things on his mind

Wish him the best

Reactions: Worried2Death