Staff Andrew Webster

• Thread starter NZWarriorsFaithful
  • Start date
bruce

bruce

Contributor
And he'd learned. Was going at full pace when he got the ball so had figured out where he needed to be positioned if there was an opportunity.

Was sort of the same stuff that happens to us with our compressed defence only the other way round.
What I liked about it is that they knew he posed that threat, but couldn't adjust their defensive line to cope. Now we need something similar on the right side.

Reactions: Worried2Death
Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

Contributor
Are there any fans in the NRL who can talk about pudding like it's cheesecake as much as Warriors fans?

Kosi scores a Maumalo special and we should be handing him a contract, no questions asked? Goldfish memory much?

One of the biggest failings over the years for the Warriors has been rewarding players for one off or limited output as opposed to demanding higher levels of consistency before being given the pot of gold. Paying on potential doesn't work, especially when that potential isn't overly high to begin with.

Scoring a walkover hat trick against a reserve grade Storm backline doesn't entitle anyone to anything.
He could have dropped the pill three times but he didn't. He scored 3 meat pies which was 3 more than anyone else in the team and easy or not, will be an important part of his development.

Is he worth keeping? IMO probably. Does he get a million dollar contract, no and I don't think anyone has or is suggesting that. Due to the circumstances over the last two years his development has been crippled so lets see how he develops further and give him a bit of kudos for a treble instead of bagging him.

john nick

john nick

He could have dropped the pill three times but he didn't. He scored 3 meat pies which was 3 more than anyone else in the team and easy or not, will be an important part of his development.

Is he worth keeping? IMO probably. Does he get a million dollar contract, no and I don't think anyone has or is suggesting that. Due to the circumstances over the last two years his development has been crippled so lets see how he develops further and give him a bit of kudos for a treble instead of bagging him.
Kinoath Rick. Exactly 💯

JaggedJ

He caught the ball.....maybe that's a feat in Warriors colours (no seriously, it probably is) but really not enough to be considered impressive.

He's under contract until the end of 2023. Zero reason to do a damn thing until midway through next year. Running out and extending off the back of one game against a weakened side is a bad idea.

Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

Contributor
He caught the ball.....maybe that's a feat in Warriors colours (no seriously, it probably is) but really not enough to be considered impressive.

He's under contract until the end of 2023. Zero reason to do a damn thing until midway through next year. Running out and extending off the back of one game against a weakened side is a bad idea.
Totally agree. As you've said, we've been very guilty of that in the past.

Hopefully the new coach has some fresh ideas and as I said it will be so important to get the youngsters back into some positive development.

I really think we have a some prospects there, the little we've seen of them in the Dolphins

Noitall

Noitall

I agree on the contract side of things with you but I think he deserves more recognition than just catching the ball, I can recall a bomb he took in traffic and some good physicality on defence. What I like most is how him and Vailea have looked for Redcliffe on their edge at times and see the pair as a big part of our future.

john nick

john nick

Just remember that these guys are learning to play FG in FG which is not easy with limited experience during the last few years. Once our lower grades are back up and running I would hope we can have some more junior players coming through.

JaggedJ

Just remember that these guys are learning to play FG in FG which is not easy with limited experience during the last few years. Once our lower grades are back up and running I would hope we can have some more junior players coming through.

Learning FG in FG isn't the problem, every player does that. Learning RL in FG is the problem and it rarely works out well.

Lower grades will help our future, but at some point for our current crop, when you start too far behind you just can't catch up. Not saying they're at that point, too early to tell, but I have my concerns.

john nick

john nick

Learning FG in FG isn't the problem, every player does that. Learning RL in FG is the problem and it rarely works out well.

Lower grades will help our future, but at some point for our current crop, when you start too far behind you just can't catch up. Not saying they're at that point, too early to tell, but I have my concerns.
Yes mate. You understand my point though

Cces

Cces

Just looking at the Cowboys with Nanai and Tualangi and Cotter. Hardly heard anything of them until this year and they are now SOO players.
Taulagi & Cotter made there NRL debuts in 2019. That was the year Katoa first took up League & the pair of Berry & Vailea were still 12 & 24 months away from picking up a Steeden. Fingers cross our blokes have the same trajectory but it's a tough ask having not grown up in the code

john nick

john nick

Taulagi & Cotter made there NRL debuts in 2019. That was the year Katoa first took up League & the pair of Berry & Vailea were still 12 & 24 months away from picking up a Steeden. Fingers cross our blokes have the same trajectory but it's a tough ask having not grown up in the code
Yes mate.I was trying to point out that with the lack of intense experience in the lower level of our sport our upcoming guys are always behind the eight ball

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Yes mate.I was trying to point out that with the lack of intense experience in the lower level of our sport our upcoming guys are always behind the eight ball
Part of that is that our young talent is being poached to Australia, much earlier and in a greater quantity than 25 years ago. It is much harder to combat with our low wages and high cost of living.

leaguejunkie

leaguejunkie