Staff Andrew Webster

• Thread starter NZWarriorsFaithful
  • Start date
RiceOwl

RiceOwl

I’m happy with this appointment and can only wish him the best. Welcome (back) Andrew!

Any coaching appointment comes with risk, but I certainly see more upside than many other coaching appointments we have made. I actually feel this could be quite an astute signing…

He knows the Warriors, he’s lived here before (which is seemingly a huge barrier for many players and staff at present it seems), a great depth of coaching experience (albeit not first grade experience but have to do your time and the start somewhere), comes from a currently strong club where he has overseen the attack…to be honest the only negative is that he is unproven in top grade.

I do hope he is given the time, resources and power to implement what he feels is best for the team.

I much prefer this appointment over an already tried head coach. I’m also comfortable they keep Stacey (to be honest I’m surprised he gets so much shit on here…), but need to change the other assistant to a young up and coming coach as it’s important to have a succession plan in any business (especially the business of coaching at his club 😆).

Good luck and go well Andrew

Wrighty

Wrighty

Webster is a solid appointment, maybe the warriors go after Queensland Defensive Coach Josh Hannay as an Assistant/Defensive Coach to replace Slade Griffin. The warriors need a general manager similar to Ben Ikin who can hold Webster's hand so he can have success. Maybe Steve Hansen is an option but he's got some affiliation with the Bulldogs. Also need to get rid of Mohawk and Cameron George, they are roadblocks to the warrior's road to success.

I disagree with nearly all of this apart from the bit about Webster being a solid appointment.

We don't want Josh Hannay or absolutely Josh Hannay will do clandestine lobbying to unseat Webster. You don't want to appoint lieutenants that have more experience than the chief. The head coach is in charge and mentors the other assistant coaches, Need to find assistants comfortable with being mentored by a rookie coach. Hannay won't be happy reporting to what he will view as a somewhat lightweight coach. Office politics reasons,.

As for getting rid of George and Mohawk? No they are doing their roles. For a start all owners meddle in the team it is why they bought the team. If you paid $40M for an NRL franchise you would want to have your say on rugby league matters too and not just write checks.
Our owner is exactly involved to the same extent every owner in the NRL is most likely.
Our guys is just brash and and an alpha, the owner is all G. Cameron phone is ringing hot is a competent CEO to the extent he organised a functional head office that operated out of australia for the past three years. That was a real logistical challenge.

The owner and CEO also have values and dealt with countless people home sickness issues over the past three years and had to find a classy behind closed doors end for Fusitua who obviously had some type of breakdown.
They also faced a coup de tat when agnatius passi and someone else I forget quit on the same day and sounded out other blokes to join them,
They also did the right thing by Walsh rather than blocking him like cunty Sharks did to Metcalf just to shaft the warriors.

Makasene

Makasene

I’m happy with this appointment and can only wish him the best. Welcome (back) Andrew!

Any coaching appointment comes with risk, but I certainly see more upside than many other coaching appointments we have made. I actually feel this could be quite an astute signing…

He knows the Warriors, he’s lived here before (which is seemingly a huge barrier for many players and staff at present it seems), a great depth of coaching experience (albeit not first grade experience but have to do your time and the start somewhere), comes from a currently strong club where he has overseen the attack…to be honest the only negative is that he is unproven in top grade.

I do hope he is given the time, resources and power to implement what he feels is best for the team.

I much prefer this appointment over an already tried head coach. I’m also comfortable they keep Stacey (to be honest I’m surprised he gets so much shit on here…), but need to change the other assistant to a young up and coming coach as it’s important to have a succession plan in any business (especially the business of coaching at his club 😆).

Good luck and go well Andrew

100% agree with you - When we signed Cappy he was too early but you saw glimpses of what that sort of coach could do compared with horrific signings of Elliott, Kearney, Brown et al

There is no downside to this appointment, it cannot possibly get any worse than it has been

Wrighty

Wrighty

100% agree with you - When we signed Cappy he was too early but you saw glimpses of what that sort of coach could do compared with horrific signings of Elliott, Kearney, Brown et al

There is no downside to this appointment, it cannot possibly get any worse than it has been
The more I think about Brown the worse his selection decisions seem

Maybe I was wrong indeed when I said 5 out of ten. Maybe 1 out of ten.

List of stink Brown decisions

1) Letting Kane evans go and replacing him with Pene (I know I am the lone Kane fan on the site)
2) Aitkens to centre
3) Berry and Vailea to start game one ahead of Arthars and Pompey
4) Kosi to trade sides
5) Walsh to play fullback instead of 5 8th even we lost 5 in a row and were eliminated we stuck with Reece at fullback.
6) Reece at fullback last year over Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Daly M fullback. Who cares if the players suggested it
7) Letting reece do everything. Goal kick. Kick off restarts which went out on the full all the time
8) Sironen selected at all
9) why was tom ale given a 30 spot this year
10) Addin Fonua-Blake and Lodge playing on the same shift instead of splitting them up.

Why did Brown want to be a coach when he isn't good at it. I will stop there as red mist is descending and I promised I would cut myself off when growing angry at incompetence.

mrblonde

mrblonde

I hope the first words out of Andrew's mouth in his first November interview are something along the lines of:
"This is not going to be an easy fix. This is not going to be a quick fix. I'd like to be able to 100% guarantee finals footy to the fans, but all I can say at this point is that we will be doing our utmost to get there. But there's no point in making the finals in one year and then not doing it again for the next four or more. We need to build this club up so it's a shock when we don't make the finals rather than when we do."

If he says something like that I'll be happy.

If he says exactly that my lawyer shall sue his sorry ass for copyright.

Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

Before we say good work management on this appointment, lets not forget they sounded out several coaches first who knocked them back before Webster agreed, so he definitely wasnt their first, 2nd, or probably even 3rd choice. Plus given the train of recent coaches who havent worked out here, an almost weekly wtf drama moments (ala Lodge and Walsh), signing players who dont want to live in NZ, an owner shooting his mouth of every other week, plus the general low ebb where the club sits atm etc, im not brimming with confidence in management getting it right this time either.

Poor planning, poor management, poor performance......this appointment is a roll of the dice really, and if Webster is able to get success (and im not saying he cant, he has as good a pedigree as most other assistant coaches) it wont be because this was an inspired selection from Mohawk and George.

I really hope that he can resonate with this mob in the way other rookies ala Cleary, Ando (and to an extent) Payten did.......but im not holding my breath.

mrblonde

mrblonde

GM, Daniel Anderson

Love Josh Hennay as assistant, someone of this caliber who can step up to head coach role if down the track Webster is not the guy.

I really hope Stacy Jones is not kept as assistant, he didn't want to be a nrl coach so shouldn't be assisting.
I don't see why his lack of ambition to be an NRL coach means he'll be a naff assistant...It does mean that he won't try white-anting any coach so he can get the top job, top money and top carpark space...

A lack of ambition can be a good thing.

Mr Dragon

Mr Dragon

I expect us to be at the bottom of the table next year, our halves are not good enough to make the 8 and i don't see any leader. I can't blame the new coach for that. We had 3 years to rebuild and we get good players leaving who had years of top League to come and we our back to rebuilding for the next 3 years. It's like Groundhog Day!

Reactions: Worried2Death

VictorRadleysScrotum

Not exactly the kind of appointment that's got my penis tingling but I hope he does well and can build some stability in the club. Nice that someone's up for the challenge after a few rejections we've experienced lately. Welcome Andrew.

RiceOwl

RiceOwl

I don't see why his lack of ambition to be an NRL coach means he'll be a naff assistant...It does mean that he won't try white-anting any coach so he can get the top job, top money and top carpark space...

A lack of ambition can be a good thing.
100%, I don’t quite get that line of thinking. We can’t have both assistants with that mindset as you want a succession plan but a top class 2IC can be incredibly valuable.

drunk_monk

drunk_monk

Contributor
100%, I don’t quite get that line of thinking. We can’t have both assistants with that mindset as you want a succession plan but a top class 2IC can be incredibly valuable.
Yup spot on.

Someone can like management and enjoy helping keep things running without the stress of being the one in charge that is ultimate accountable.

And if he's doing a good job as 2IC then that will he handy as hell for an incoming coach.

Knowing the caretaker coach you are replacing actually wants to be your second pair of hands takes a heap of tension from the relationship.

EastStandDiehard

I like the appointment! For a lot of the reasons people have mentioned before!
He’s done an extensive apprenticeship.
He’s had experience with the club.
He’s lived here and realises it’s not scary to live here.
He’s coming from a very good system.
From all reports players have good respect for him.
Coming with no baggage.

Good luck Webby!

the borg

Looks like Webby's it... good luck mate.

Bit left field here (Wrighty might like this) but this team should take a leaf out of English "Baz Ball" cricket..

The way Baz has got into their heads, from fear of failure and turn these blokes into believing they can do the unthinkable. Now they enjoy playing and flogging teams, plus setting records to boot, all in a space of a couple of months... food for thought maybe.. we do have a good roster still..