Staff Andrew McFadden

Fazz

Fazz

Good luck, but I dare say nothing of value was lost. Shaun Johnson lacked direction for his entire time under Cappy and Green almost seemed to go backwards slightly (although not by much and likely a coincidence)

Our attack was pretty poor apart from individual efforts for the most part, so I'm happy to have some fresh blood.

Sledge

Sledge

Good, luck Cappy. I think everyone on here knows how much time and effort a coach puts into their team, most go way beyond and above the call of duty. While he wasn’t successful he would of tried his guts out.

Reactions: 6 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Good luck, but I dare say nothing of value was lost.
The backline passing, especially to the right flank was as good as it gets. Cappy must have had a hand in that. Having said that if SK wanted him my guess is he would have still been here.

Reactions: 1 user
Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
I can only wonder how good we could have been. Cappy had us playing some outstanding football inspite of having a team that included all those players who have been moved on for obvious reasons. If not for some cruel injuries we probably would have played finals football earlier.

Reactions: 5 users
Sup42

Sup42

Very good man to listen to.

Knows his League.

Would probably have been a better SKY commentator than Justin Morgan and Bluey et al.

All the best man.

Reactions: 9 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
I can only wonder how good we could have been. Cappy had us playing some outstanding football inspite of having a team that included all those players who have been moved on for obvious reasons. If not for some cruel injuries we probably would have played finals football earlier.
We know exactly how good we could have been under Cappy. We watched that train wreck happen. Those players he had were the players he wanted. He resigned all of them in his tenure at the club. You talk about the outstanding football. I really dont remember it. I remember him pulling apart a team that was doing well, to include a player that was paid more. And watching it tank from there. I remember him taking the team down the gurgler. People criticized SK for what he did at the eels, but most admit he really didnt have a chance there. Its my opinion that Cappy was way worse and got way more opportunity with a much better team. Those injuries happen to all teams. Its how you deal with them that counts.

And lastly this years warriors attack, Shaun Johnson lack of shine etc are all on the back of his attack strategies. Maybe the warriors are muppets, but it was his job to work with what he had and come up with alternatives. There defense and fitness are majorly improved. But the attack isnt any better than it has been for years. Its only when they let the boys play off the cuff football that they seem to have strike all across the park. And that is all on him.

Reactions: 3 users

pleatedpantspete

yeah fair play, our attack this year was pretty bad. For a team that very realistically could have had a top four finish, our points for puts us at equal 11th on the ladder.

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
We know exactly how good we could have been under Cappy. We watched that train wreck happen. Those players he had were the players he wanted. He resigned all of them in his tenure at the club. You talk about the outstanding football. I really dont remember it. I remember him pulling apart a team that was doing well, to include a player that was paid more. And watching it tank from there. I remember him taking the team down the gurgler. People criticized SK for what he did at the eels, but most admit he really didnt have a chance there. Its my opinion that Cappy was way worse and got way more opportunity with a much better team. Those injuries happen to all teams. Its how you deal with them that counts.

And lastly this years warriors attack, Shaun Johnson lack of shine etc are all on the back of his attack strategies. Maybe the warriors are muppets, but it was his job to work with what he had and come up with alternatives. There defense and fitness are majorly improved. But the attack isnt any better than it has been for years. Its only when they let the boys play off the cuff football that they seem to have strike all across the park. And that is all on him.
I see your point of view but don't agree. We absolutely ripped some teams apart under Cappy. Can't say we have done that in the last two seaons under SK - yes Cappy is there but its SK's team and decisions - despite having a much better squad.

As for the injuries, yes they do happen to all the other teams and usually has the same impact on them. Take Pearse out of the knights this year and they collapsed.

Reactions: 1 users
Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
yeah fair play, our attack this year was pretty bad. For a team that very realistically could have had a top four finish, our points for puts us at equal 11th on the ladder.
Or is it that our defense got blown out with a few games hitting our for and against.

snake77

snake77

Thanks for the service to the club over the last 5 years or whatever it's been.

His time in the top charge started well with implementing standards but in the end, maybe due to a lack of depth he ended up repeating some of Elliott's mistakes in only picking name guys and only dropping youngsters.

We had a few good wins under him especially with the Johnson/tomkins combo tearing up down the right hand side.

It was under him we got the first win in Wellington, Eden Park and first away win in Canberra since forever? Useful one day for Warriors trivia.

One of the best would of been the 2014 54-18 win in Canberra. Pretty sure we had a few guys missing or injured through the game, the Raiders got a few late tries but we nearly got the to nil which would of been one of the best away wins ever (we wreaked Souths by 60 back in the day?).

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Or is it that our defense got blown out with a few games hitting our for and against.
We have stopped being the team to put up big scores. Generally, we are the team thats scrapes a win, or we fall just short, with 4 or 5 massive and humiliating loses to hold us back.

Our defence isnt too bad, overall. But our attack is woeful. We have plenty of players with some real attacking skill, but not the plans to utilise them. That falls squarely on the attack coach. We have no plan, and no structure in attack, and generally no chance of scoring anything but fluke and individual tries, with a few good team tries that convince people we have a plan. The only genuine strategy we have is the short restart. That is a great strategy, and whoever thought of it needs to be involved in more of our strategy.

Its the first time in god knows how long we have been ahead of the curve and we need more of it.

jonno

jonno

Our style has always been one of offloads and support players in motion.

The sooner coaches stop trying to turn us into the storm the better.

Malone running off Mateo out on the left was lethal for a few seasons.

Everything Luke does well is off the cuff, reading the defense and creating something out of it.

But yet we're being force fed structures that just don't work for our squad.

Reason? We don't recruit players who pass the ball at that level. We pick up the guys who can make freak off loads. Guys who love making contact with the ball.

Cappy, Eliot, Bluey. None of them were interested in an offloading strategy. They wanted passing structures. Talk about an epidemic of holes appearing in the foot.

wizards rage

wizards rage

Attack and defence is all interlinked. We use our backs hitting up so our forwards have the energy to defend.

We have made a choice to restrict our attacking options to boost our defence.

The structure is down to Kearney and restricts what cappy has to play with, however I still feel we relied to much on individual brilliance rather than set plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

Oh well I too wanted you to get sacked but on reflection you just inherited a dysfunctional soggy shit sandwich and didn't have the support to take the club any higher than what you did.

See ya later and have a good life without red bull and prescription drugs.

• Haha
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Anyone think it's just a coincidence that since our former attacking coach has left our attack has sucked while Raiders attack has blown up???

Reactions: 17 users
jonno

jonno

We've got Jones and Iro on the coaching staff. Those guys are legends. Cappy never did jack as a player, how in the hell is he supposed to be a great coach. That's not how footy works.

Oh wait!

Trent Robinson only played 4 games of first grade. How is this possible that he's a top coach? I don't understand.

You need to be a superior athlete that conquers the game as a player to make it as a coach. Otherwise the dumbfuck players at the Warriors won't respect you.

The Warriors would persist with these guys,,,, forever.

Wayne Gretzky

The 'Great One' is considered by most hockey followers to be the best player in hockey history. But the nine-time MVP, four-time Stanley Cup champion and leading scorer in NHL history struggled as a coach. Gretzky, a part-owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, never led the team to the playoffs in four seasons behind the bench. He stepped down as coach shortly before the start of the 2009-10 season with the team mired in a bankruptcy court hearing and bidders indicating he would no longer be associated with the team after it emerged from bankruptcy.

Magic Johnson

The Hall of Fame player, who won five NBA titles, earned three league MVPs and was a 12-time All-Star with the Lakers, coached Los Angeles for 16 games in the 1993-94 season and finished with a 5-11 record.

Diego Maradona

The Golden Ball winner at the '86 World Cup and is generally regarded as the best player of the last century not named Pele. But his coaching record stinks. He managed two Argentine clubs, going 1-6-5 in '94 with Corrientes and 2-6-3 in '05 with Racing.

And the Warriors would trade this guy to Canberra in a heart beat.

Bill Belichick

Never played a single game in the NFL, but has won 6 Superbowls as head coach of the New England Patriots.

Yes our club is that dumb.

JaggedJ

Was it Cappy leaving or SK coming in when our attack dropped off? SK might not be the attacking coach but I would imagine his overall philosophy is what drives a lot of it (correct me if I'm wrong).

SK is also responsible for recruitment and our recruitment hasn't in any way been attacking focused.

The Raiders have been one of the better attacking sides for several years now (didn't they set a record for being the best attacking team to ever miss the finals?) and last year their attack only stuttered because Hodgson missed the first half of the year. The big difference in the Raiders this year has been fixing up their defence.

Reactions: 6 users