General Andrew Johns and drugs

cablenathan_old

Anyone watching the Footy Show at the moment? They've opened with Gus Gould sitting down with Joey for a one-on-one to discuss what has happened, and the background of it.

He's said he knew all along what it was in his pocket and had every intentionn of using it, and has in fact been using recreational drugs for the last ten years.

Jesbass_old

Meh. Not too interested, to be honest. It would be different if he was a current player, I suppose.

Skinny_Ravs82

Yeah, I'm not finding it a big deal for some reason. Maybe because this sort of thing crops up in sport all the time it doesn't seem like much now.

No doubt alot of people will kick up a stink thou.

Joe 90_old

Not condemning him at all. But i was very suprised to hear that he has been using them off and on over the last 10 years.

I mean you dont get to be the best player of the modern game without knowing how to discipline yourself. You sort of wonder why he would ever need to go down that route with the world seemingly at his fingertips. I guess you never know.

I actually met the guy a few years back when the Knights v Warriors in Auckland. We had a training just down from where the knights we're staying, and he was at the field by himself just kicking a ball around. He came over and asked if he could muck around with us for a bit. It was such a buzz, and he came across as a regular sort of guy.

I still hold him in high regard and hope he can sort himself out. Makes you wonder just how rife is the drug problem in the NRL. Guarentee if Joey was on it for 10 years then other players are bound to be as well.

Esoj_old

Saw some highlights of the interview on fox sport news. Most interesting thing from my point of view is that he said he took them during the season as well and avoided getting caught by not training on saturday or sunday if he he played on friday. it also makes one think if someone like Johns was into this kind of stuff how many other players could be doing similar stuff too.

MarkW_old

I wouldn't be at all suprised if current NRL players dabble in the illegal substances from time to time. Most of them are young 20-somethings keen to experience a range of liesure activities.
It's no secret that many players get on the turps after a game which is perfectly ok with management as long as they don't get into trouble.
However, if players choose to walk on the wild side they should be prepared to pay the price if they get caught.

I don't really see how Johns getting caught with an e tab is big news though - big deal.

Viking_old

At least he was honest about it all. A man with no vices is either a saint or a liar, I don't trust either! People are only remorseful if they're caught anyway.

JonB_old

personally I don't use drugs, but it doesn't really bother me when people use minor-minorish drugs like weed or a bit of E (E from what I have read should be a few times a lifetime at the most though)

You are better off I think smoking a little weed than drinking a lot of booze.

....And each to there own as long as no one gets hurt.

Warrior_Hot_Stepper_old

At least he was honest about it all. People are only remorseful if they're caught anyway.

I agree that he was honest but only because he got caught but at least he can deal with it now now that it is out in the open, it shows that he is human and not a perfect person and i reckon this will make him into a better man.

Yes it is disappointing for a lot a Supporters out their that looked up to him, but they should get behind Joey and support him through the tough times.

On the same note, there were rumours going around that the only reason Joey retied cause of the new drug testing policy that started this year (Testing up to 70 times a year), that rumour may be true since he was taking drugs over ten years.

Last of all i still think Joey is still the Greatest Player even tho it has been tarnished, and i still support him.

commonsense_old

i knew about it ages ago. there was a rumour around the league circles that one of his season ending injuries a few years ago i 4got which one wasnt actually an injury. apparently joey was in rehab. i repeat it was RuMOUr, im not telling u guys as fact, it was just something i heard a while back.

100%_old

haha, so who hasn't done xtc here? *uncomfortable silence* oh, i see only a few of us.
what surprised me, is why did he actually confess? all he really had to do, is admit he accepted the drug (& admit to knowing what it was), then simply say that he wanted to experiment, & try it for the very first time. that's what i did :p nah, seriously tho, it must of been eating away @ 'em for some time now. he's opened pandora's box, & now, he'll have to cop it on the chin.

personally, i'm with all those who still reckon that he's the best player ever to play the game. on the news here in NZ, a dragons fan said something along the lines of, "how can you be named The Greatest Rugby League player & take drugs!" <<<he's right ya know.

so anyway, i'm about to drop a tab, blaze one up, crank up Rugby League2 on ps2, & start this weekend off with paranoid pragmatics.

have a great weekend ya selves.

blain91_old

even the knights doc knew he was on x for the last 5 years. i wonder what would happen if he was an average player?

kiwi-born_old

One does bear mixed feelings on this topic.

I shant pass a judgement as it is wrong to do so. One does need to be empathetic towards him rather than belittle him. He has cheated sure we all concur, nonetheless he has cheated himself, his supporters and his family. That does not give anyone a right though to be deogatory towards him. Sure express your opinoins, but before doing so situate yourself within his shoes.

I haven't ever been a "fan" of his, however he is a human being and emotions do consume us at times. Yes he has done something wretched but lets not be overly vindictive.

Skinny_Ravs82

The guy's only human, and considering the pressures he was having on the field and off it (personally) something was going to give. It, in some was a miracle he didn't completely fall apart. I think it would be cruel to judge Joey alone on this admission and even wrose if this is all people will want to remember about him.

It was damn brave for him to admit this to the world through an interview but in was an insight to how the lives of some of these players (even the best ones) have had to live.

Skinny_Ravs82

Newcastle doctor admits knowledge of Johns' drug use

https://yahooxtra.net.nz/sport/0,,14588-7824535,00.html

Newcastle rugby league club team doctor Neil Halpin today admitted to knowing of Andrew Johns' drug use for five years.

In a stunning admission, the first from a Newcastle official since Johns claimed the club knew of his behaviour last night, Halpin said he had been helping treat the player for some time over his alcohol, drug and health issues.

"Andrew Johns admitted on television last night to longstanding drug and alcohol use," Halpin said in a statement.

"I have been aware of this since 2002.

"I have treated Andrew for many years not only for his football injuries but I have co-ordinated the management of his drug and alcohol abuse.

"I have personally spent many hours with him assisting him as far as possible with this and related issues.

"His abuse has related to so-called recreational drugs and there is no evidence whatsoever that he has ever used any performance-enhancing substances."

JonB_old

haha, so who hasn't done xtc here? *uncomfortable silence* oh, i see only a few of us.
what surprised me, is why did he actually confess? all he really had to do, is admit he accepted the drug (& admit to knowing what it was), then simply say that he wanted to experiment, & try it for the very first time. that's what i did :p nah, seriously tho, it must of been eating away @ 'em for some time now. he's opened pandora's box, & now, he'll have to cop it on the chin.

personally, i'm with all those who still reckon that he's the best player ever to play the game. on the news here in NZ, a dragons fan said something along the lines of, "how can you be named The Greatest Rugby League player & take drugs!" <<<he's right ya know.

so anyway, i'm about to drop a tab, blaze one up, crank up Rugby League2 on ps2, & start this weekend off with paranoid pragmatics.

have a great weekend ya selves.

Hey man you should check out the long term effects of regular drug use just so you know what you are doing.

I am not against using drugs here and there, but I have seen a few patients who have lost themselves through the abuse of drugs.

Jesbass_old

Hey man you should check out the long term effects of regular drug use just so you know what you are doing.

I am not against using drugs here and there, but I have seen a few patients who have lost themselves through the abuse of drugs.

I think he's only messing with you, Jon. I may be wrong, but I took it as an attempt at humour.