Internationals All Golds

• Thread starter sportsthought_old
  • Start date

sportsthought_old

To be coached by Wayne Bennett
Darren Lockyer will reprise the Dally Messenger role

https://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/bennett-to-coach-kiwis/2007/07/07/1183351532202.html

FORMER Australia mentor Wayne Bennett is set to return to the international arena - as coach of the New Zealand All Golds for their match against the Northern Union in October to mark the 100th anniversary of the first league Test in 1907.

Bennett will be joined by his Brisbane captain Darren Lockyer, the Queensland and Kangaroos skipper, after the pair accepted invitations from the NZRL to take part in the historic Test at Warrington.

Lockyer replaces Andrew Johns to play the role of Dally Messenger, father of the code in Australia, who joined the All Golds tour of the UK 100 years ago as a guest of the Kiwis.

ENDS

I guess it was inevitable that they would ask Lockyer. But Bennet being the coach is a surprise. I know the NZRL were not treating this as a test match and did not want Bluey to coach.

But i think its cool. Good on Bennett for acepting the invite!

Kav_old

What a great gesture by the NZRL; recognising Wayne Bennett as the best coach that the rugby league world has seen - and not his technical skills but also his man management abilities.

Kav

Skinny_Ravs82

I'm not the biggest fan of Wayne but good stuff to the NZRL for asking him.

Happy for Lockyer too! Yah! Was hoping like heck they'd pick him and its true! Woo!!

Joe 90_old

If it was reversed and the Kangaroo's were playing a one-off test over there and wanted to invite a Kiwi of similar stature to play, who do you think they would ask? Sonny Bill maybe?

warriors_ballboy_CEO_old

They have also got Carlos Spencer playing for the all gold's, and looking at one more all black current or ex im not sure!.

aussie playing a one off test over there where? aussie or U.K?

Joe 90_old

They have also got Carlos Spencer playing for the all gold's, and looking at one more all black current or ex im not sure!.

aussie playing a one off test over there where? aussie or U.K?
In the U.K.

Wow. Didn't know about Carlos. There was reports Tana had been approached as well.

Skinny_Ravs82

Not sure of 'Los has officially agreeded but I hope he does. Would be awesome. i think Pricey has been approached too, along with some former Kiwis like Stacey, Nigel and Rubs.

commonsense_old

i think thats great. the kiwi players of that squad would benefit so much playing under wayne bennett and with darren lockyer.

Jesbass_old

Wow. I'm really surprised Bluey isn't coaching the team. In a wonderful world, I'd love to see them both coaching, but that just wouldn't work.

Outside of Bluey, who can inspire the players, (quite possibly Lockyer excluded), to fight with passion for the black jersey, Bennett would definitely be my first choice. He's the most successful top level current coach in the game.