General Alex McKinnon messages of Support

Sup42

Sup42

Rise For Alex
Thu 27th March, 03:01PM

1395894864167.jpg

The Newcastle Knights will ‘Rise for Alex’ at Sunday’s round four game against the Cronulla Sharks at Hunter Stadium.

From Sunday, all Knights’ NRL jerseys for the remainder of the season will carry Alex’s name and debut Club number (#232) on the chest plate.

The number 16 jersey, which Alex was wearing in Monday night’s game, will be retired for the season.

David Fa’alogo, who was named in 16, will now wear 18.

A number of junior rugby league players from Alex's junior club Aberdeen, will form a guard of honour when the team runs out on Sunday.

As the Knights and Sharks are on the field, the crowd will be asked to ‘rise for Alex’ and applaud.

Messages of support for Alex and his family can be emailed to knights@newcastleknights.com.au.

All messages we receive will be given to Alex and his family at the appropriate time.

Currently the Club's energies are directed to help Alex and his family in any way possible, however, when the time is right, the Club will look at ways the community can assist Alex and his family.

There are no further updates at this time in regards to Alex’s condition.

He remains in a critical but stable condition in a Melbourne hospital.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/n..._for_alex.html

Reactions: 3 users
surfin

surfin

To be fair, not a lot of time has passed since the injury. I think by keeping his distance for the moment, it shows respect for the family who I doubt would be too happy to see him. They might not be angry, but I would imagine it would be upsetting at the very least. I'll hold judgement for the next little while, until Mckinnon is awake or being discharged at least. If there's no visit forthcoming by then, it starts to look a little bad.

I've got to agree with you there, McKinnon is not going to know and I think may be the timing is not right to go to the hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
Jay M

Jay M

To be fair, not a lot of time has passed since the injury. I think by keeping his distance for the moment, it shows respect for the family who I doubt would be too happy to see him. They might not be angry, but I would imagine it would be upsetting at the very least. I'll hold judgement for the next little while, until Mckinnon is awake or being discharged at least. If there's no visit forthcoming by then, it starts to look a little bad.

Maybe - I like to think that personally, I'd try to call the family at least and apologise etc... not an easy time for all concerned though and could be tough to manage.

surfin

surfin

Maybe - I like to think that personally, I'd try to call the family at least and apologise etc... not an easy time for all concerned though and could be tough to manage.

He may well have.

Fazz

Fazz

Well yeah, that I agree on. I think a call should be made for sure once Alex is coherent and has had some time to process things. At this stage I think staying away is probably the best thing to do. Either that or making a call stating remorse to the family and asking to be notified when it would be okay to visit.

DavidMcKay1974

DavidMcKay1974

https://www.nrl.com/mckinnon-recovery-takes-positive-step/tabid/10874/newsid/77242/default.aspx

Alex McKinnon has made a small advancement in his recovery on Sunday.

He has had his assisted ventilation removed and can now communicate with his family.

His breathing will be monitored while undertaking intense physiotherapy before the next stage, which will hopefully involve a transfer to Sydney.

Alex’s father Scott again wished to thank everyone for the continued support.

"It has been a highly emotional day for us and this is just a small stage in a long journey," he said.

"Once again, we can’t thank everyone enough for the prayers and well wishes we have received for Alex and our family."

Great news

Reactions: 1 users
BarnesNZ

BarnesNZ

All my thoughts and heart goes out to Alex and his family, just heard on the news that they have had some bad news...Were all thinking of you here in NZ.

Defence

Defence

So unlucky.
A mate of mine died on the field when we were younger- rip Blair.
What can u say, it's just super sad.
Alex sounds like the type of guy who will just get on with it anyway- can only wish him all the best.

ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

Horrible news, can only wish the best to Alex and his family during this tough time.

David James

David James

Absolutely gutted by the news.

It is a brutal sport that we love, I'm very thankful that this doesn't happen more often.

DavidMcKay1974

DavidMcKay1974

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2014/04/01/alex_mckinnon_update.html

There were no new developments on Monday in regards to Alex McKinnon’s condition.

The Club has continued to provide factual updates in consultation with Alex’s family at this delicate time.

Alex was brought out of an induced coma following his initial surgery last Tuesday and has been conscious since. Doctors confirmed Alex had suffered a devastating spinal injury on Wednesday. On Sunday he was able to communicate with his family after his assisted ventilation was removed.

While Alex’s condition continues to improve, his body is in the first phase of recovery. As previously shared, he has movement in his right arm and the uncertainty remains in the extent of further recovery. The doctors explained any regeneration and recovery could be up to two years.

As Alex remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition, visitation is restricted. Therefore coach Wayne Bennett visited on Monday without Alex’s teammates as initially planned.

The Club is extremely disappointed in the sensationalised television news story on Monday night about this tragic situation.

One of the most important factors for Alex at this time is hope, which was jeopardised by this report.

The Club and the McKinnons appreciate the respectful way other media have handled and reported on Alex’s condition.

Club staff will continue to stay with Alex and his family in Melbourne and continue to provide any appropriate update in consultation with his family. We again request Alex and his family's privacy is respected at this time.

To Members, fans and all who are sending their best wishes, thank you.

All offers of financial and in-kind support are appreciated however our focus remains on Alex. When the time is appropriate, the Club will notify how your contribution can be accepted.

From Alex’s family; Kate and Scott McKinnon (Alex’s parents) and Teigan Power (Alex’s partner):

“We would once again like to thank the public and media for the ongoing show of concern and support for our son and partner, Alex.

“While there is a lot of detail being reported about Alex’s condition, it is important to remember that it is still early days for him post-injury.

“Those close to Alex know he is strong, and that he is a fighter and, that alone, is reason to remain hopeful.”

Messages of support for Alex and his family can be emailed to knights@newcastleknights.com.au. All messages we receive will be given to Alex and his family at the appropriate time.

#RiseForAlex

Buck777

The knights have put a statement out saying that Alex has movement in his right arm. Both family and club are very upset at these quadriplegic claims. They are NOT TRUE and whoever in the media that leaked them needs to take a good look at themselves. If he can move his arm then there is an excellent chance his spinal cord hasn't been severed - but damaged. I'm hoping for a full recovery for Alex...here's part of the knights news release an hour ago

"While Alex’s condition continues to improve, his body is in the first phase of recovery. As previously shared, he has movement in his right arm and the uncertainty remains in the extent of further recovery. The doctors explained any regeneration and recovery could be up to two years.

As Alex remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition, visitation is restricted. Therefore coach Wayne Bennett visited on Monday without Alex’s teammates as initially planned.

The Club is extremely disappointed in the sensationalised television news story on Monday night about this tragic situation."

Jay M

Jay M

Gutsy...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9912079/Injured-league-star-Alex-McKinnon-to-marry

Less than two weeks after his neck was broken in a lifting tackle, Newcastle Knights forward Alex McKinnon has announced his engagement to girlfriend Teigan Power and declared he will walk her down the aisle.

In an uplifiting turn to the terrible incident, McKinnon on Sunday night posted a photograph of himself and his girlfriend to Instagram along with a message of thanks to all his supporters.

He ended the post by announcing his engagement to his girlfriend of three years and promising to walk her down the aisle.

The popular 22-year-old from Aberdeen suffered a career-ending spinal injury against the Melbourne Storm two weeks ago.

McKinnon remains in Melbourne's The Alfred hospital in a serious but stable condition with a spinal injury. He was brought out of an induced coma last Sunday following surgery for damage to his C4 and C5 vertebrae and has been conscious since. He has some movement in his right arm, but no movement in his left arm or legs.

McKinnon has been stoic, while his family have reminded people the young man they love is a fighter.
McKinnon chose Instagram to make his first public statement since suffering the horrific injury.
''This girl is my soldier, I am truly overwhelmed with the support and wishes from everybody in the rugby league society and the community at large,'' McKinnon wrote.

''Your ongoing support will never be forgotten. P.S when life throws you struggles respond with a smile. So happy to announce Teigan and my engagement.''

McKinnon concluded the post with a pair of hashtags: #throughthickandthin #iwillwalkherdowntheaisle.
Another hashtag - #riseforalex - has been trending on social media as McKinnon continues to recover from the two fractured vertebrae and spinal injuries he suffered in a three-man lifting tackle against the Storm.

Melbourne Storm prop Jordan McLean was handed a seven-week ban for the dangerous throw.
A country boy at heart from a proud rugby league town, details about McKinnon's character and attitude have been revealed since his injury.

Knights coach Wayne Bennett said McKinnon was more like a son, describing a loyal and selfless young man.

''We play a tough game and Alex is a tough young man. Nobody's fool. He doesn't walk around trying to show he's tough, but he is. And I've always loved his humility,'' Bennett wrote in a recent column.
''Never seen him drunk. Not once. Never seen him do anything stupid. No one's ever talked about Alex like that.''

The message and photograph were ''liked'' by hundreds of Instagram users on Sunday night and posted onto Twitter were hundreds more users - including the Newcastle Knights official account - began sending their congratulations.

''Wow even through all the hardships that Alex Mckinnon has been facing he has found some happiness! Congrats on his engagement! #RiseforAlex,'' one Twitter user wrote.

''Great to hear that Alex McKinnon and his girlfriend are now engaged. A positive from a terrible situation,'' another person wrote.

''Congrats on the engagement @mckinnon92 and Teigan. You sir are a real inspiration, keep up the good work,'' another wrote.

Originally from Denman, Power is studying primary school teaching at the University of Newcastle and working at a Newcastle pub.

McKinnon's last Twitter post from February says Ms Power gave him a voucher to skydive over Wollongong Beach.

''Sometimes I suppose you've got to face your fears,'' McKinnon wrote.

Jay M

Jay M

Good news below - one he's getting feeling in his legs and more movement in his arms - two - the NRL are providing ongoing support.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9992478/Alex-McKinnon-offered-NRL-job-for-life

The NRL has unveiled plans to provide a job for life for Newcastle player Alex McKinnon as part of a five-point plan to support him during his recovery from severe spinal injuries.

The Knights' forward revealed over the weekend he was getting more movement in his arms and had feeling in his legs four weeks after suffering his injuries in a tackle.

A special foundation will be set up to raise funds for McKinnon, starting with a ''Rise for Alex'' round 19 of the premiership from July 18 with a range of family activities and promotions.

CEO Dave Smith said the NRL and the Knights were determined to stick by Alex and that commitment included a job in the game for as long as Alex wished.

Smith said setting a career path for Alex was part of a package of measures to provide him with financial and career assistance over the long term.

''The best sight of the season was Alex turning up to ANZ Stadium to watch his mates play for the Knights last weekend.

''His spirit and determination are an inspiration for all of us.

''The NRL would be honoured if Alex wanted to channel that spirit into a career in our game and the offer is on the table for life.''

The NRL would work with the Knights, the Rugby League Players' Association, Men of League and other members of the league family to find a job which Alex was keen to pursue.

''The NRL will dedicate funds to a research project associated with spinal injury,'' Smith said.

Smith said the NRL would work with Newcastle, other clubs and broadcast partners on the Rise for Alex round events in coming weeks.

Options included holding two concerts (one in Sydney and the other in Newcastle), games and activities for families at selected matches, junior football fundraising activities and auctions. It was also possible that a telethon would be held to raise funds.

Smith said the NRL was also looking at establishing a game-wide foundation to provide financial assistance to players severely and permanently injured in rugby league.

''It is clear, on those rare occasions when there is a serious injury in our game, that the fans and supporters want to do their bit to help out,'' he said.

''We want to explore all avenues to do this and it all starts with Alex.''