General alex glenn wearing seven

motu1_old

The guessing game over just who would replace injured Peter Wallace at halfback for Saturday night's NRL preliminary final at Melbourne should have concluded earlier in the day.

But there were only more questions once the man surprisingly named at No.7 - Alex Glenn - eventually emerged at their Red Hill training base.

See full teams below.

The Kiwi utility appeared for about 10 minutes before rushing off, apparently to keep him fresh for the rest of the week.

It would have been a surprise move to hook Glenn from training if they had done it ahead of a regular season game.

But the fact the Broncos opted to rest Glenn ahead of a grand final qualifier had many scratching their heads.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Adding to the mystery was the fact former Queensland Origin utility PJ Marsh - largely overlooked this season by the Broncos - was seen running around along with Brisbane's gun Toyota Cup halfback Ben Hunt.

To really confuse matters, former Test cricketer Andrew Symonds - dressed from head to toe in official Broncos training gear - was also heavily involved in the session.

Suddenly the tongue in cheek suggestion by Allan Langer earlier this week that he would dust off the boots against Melbourne didn't seem so ridiculous.

For the record, Symonds is just "helping out" at the Broncos - and they have no complaints.

Since Symonds emerged at Red Hill after Brisbane's record 56-0 loss at Canberra, the Broncos have gone on a seven-game winning run that has them on track for a seventh premiership.

Langer was also sighted at training - albeit in his official capacity as a Broncos assistant coach.

While he was at his evasive best when the media approached at the end of the session, Langer didn't miss a chance to stoke up further speculation when he appeared on Brisbane morning radio on Tuesday.

After a newspaper reported that he had his "fingers crossed" for a call-up, Langer told the radio program: "I'm subject to a fitness test on Friday.

"I am running up from the Gold Coast though and did a hamstring at Caboolture - I am doubtful."

After watching Glenn throw a couple of unconvincing passes away from the rest of the squad before promptly departing, the popular theory was still skipper Darren Lockyer switching to halfback and veteran Tonie Carroll featuring at pivot against the Storm.

Not that Henjak cared.

The Broncos coach stressed that Glenn had not taken part in a Monday session "for weeks".

He also defended putting Glenn in cotton wool by slapping a media ban on the utility - just days ahead of the pressure cooker atmosphere of a must-win finals clash at Melbourne.

"I don't think he needs all the extra attention," Henjak said.

"It's a new position for him and he has got his head around it and I'd just like him to be able to concentrate on that this week.

"That will be a big enough job for him this week."

FRIDAY

BULLDOGS v PARRAMATTA EELS at ANZ Stadium, 7.45pm

BULLDOGS: Luke Patten, Hazem El Masri, Josh Morris, Jamal Idris, Bryson Goodwin, Ben Roberts, Brett Kimmorley, Ben Hannant, Michael Ennis, Michael Hodgson, Greg Eastwood, Andrew Ryan (capt), David Stagg. Interchange: Jarrad Hickey, Chris Armit, Yileen Gordon, Gary Warburton.
EELS: Jarryd Hayne, Luke Burt, Krisnan Inu, Joel Reddy, Eric Grothe, Daniel Mortimer, Jeff Robson, Nathan Cayless (capt), Matthew Keating, Fuifui Moimoi, Nathan Hindmarsh, Ben Smith, Todd Lowrie. Interchange: Kevin Kingston, Feleti Mateo, Tim Mannah, Joe Galuvao
Referees: Tony Archer, Ben Cummins

SATURDAY

MELBOURNE STORM v BRISBANE BRONCOS at Etihad Stadium, 7.45pm

STORM: Billy Slater, Steve Turner, Will Chambers, Greg Inglis, Dane Nielsen, Brett Finch, Cooper Cronk, Aiden Tolman, Cameron Smith (capt), Brett White, Adam Blair, Ryan Hoffman, Dallas Johnson. Interchange: Ryan Hinchcliffe, Jeff Lima, Ryan Tandy, Wairangi Koopu, Scott Anderson (one to be omitted).
BRONCOS: Karmichael Hunt, Antonio Winterstein, Israel Folau, Justin Hodges, Jharal Yow Yeh, Darren Lockyer (c), Alex Glenn, Nick Kenny, Andrew McCullough, David Taylor, Ashton Sims, Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker. Interchange: Lagi Setu, Tonie Carroll, Ben Te'o, Joel Clinton.

Northern_Union

I don't see it working to be honest. But Ivan knows more about league and the Broncos than i do.

Spence_old

Whoa... That surprised me. Has he ever playd there before? I know he has played a bit of 6 in lower grades.

kingkole_old

hes named at halve but i tend to think lockyer will be 1st receiver on attack with K' UP in the line prob-playing second receiver option, glenn will prob-play a roving type role with lockyer telling him where to run and what targets to hit.